What's new

The Nintendo Switch version Offline

Hey all,

The Nintendo Switch version of Mortal Kombat 11, for those of you that have it, how well does it play, and how does it handle offline? For a game where even the Single Player constantly accesses the servers, what are you restricted to offline?

I can't spring for it right now, but down the road, I'm thinking about picking up a Switch and the game since I have a long commute to and from work.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I have the Switch version, and play it just about everyday.

Offline you can access Story#, Klassic Towers#, Local, Tournament, Characters#, Kollection, Practice, Tutorial##, and Fatality training.

# (Single) You can play the mode, but you won't get the rewards until you reconnect online.
## (Double) If I remember correctly, you won't get the rewards if you do the tutorials offline. Though I believe you'll still unlock the Shao Kahn announcer when you reconnect online.

The Switch version is good. It has it's faults, but if you are getting it with the understanding that it is INDEED the inferior version, I think you'll be satisfied.

The game lags both online and offline on certain stages (the Koliseum stages are the WORST), but on stages like the Tournament stage, the game plays pretty flawlessly.

I have the game both on Xbox and Switch, and to be honest I play on the Switch most of the time (I'm rarely home). I usually play towers or practice mode when I play the game, and because of that I can actually get some quality time in. But I do play online as well, and when you get connected with someone else with a good connection, you can get into some quality sets. I've had FLAWLESS connections on my phone's wifi, and that is me comparing it to my wired Xbox connection.

FYI: the online competition is only decent on the Switch if you are trying to be competitive. You'll find some good people on there for sure, but many people are playing just to play. When I want to play quality players with a more consistent connection, I play on my other console.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, when i play on the Xbox, my gameplay translates 1 to 1 as you are playing the same game. Even the Switch's Pro-Controller translates 1 for 1 for an Xbox controller. So yeah, I never feel like I'm loosing anything in translation.

Like I said in the beginning, if you know what you are getting, the Switch version is a no brainer. MK11 is my most played game on the Switch now (right after Skyrim).

Last edited:

Matix218

Get over here!
I have the Switch version, and play it just about everyday.

Offline you can access Story#, Klassic Towers#, Local, Tournament, Characters#, Kollection, Practice, Tutorial##, and Fatality training.

# (Single) You can play the mode, but you won't get the rewards until you reconnect online.
## (Double) If I remember correctly, you won't get the rewards if you do the tutorials offline. Though I believe you'll still unlock the Shao Kahn announcer when you reconnect online.

The Switch version is good. It has it's faults, but if you are getting it with the understanding that it is INDEED the inferior version, I think you'll be satisfied.

The game lags both online and offline on certain stages (the Koliseum stages are the WORST), but on stages like the Tournament stage, the game plays pretty flawlessly.

I have the game both on Xbox and Switch, and to be honest I play on the Switch most of the time (I'm rarely home). I usually play towers or practice mode when I play the game, and because of that I can actually get some quality time in. But I do play online as well, and when you get connected with someone else with a good connection, you can get into some quality sets. I've had FLAWLESS connections on my phone's wifi, and that is me comparing it to my wired Xbox connection.

FYI: the online competition is only decent on the Switch if you are trying to be competitive. You'll find some good people on there for sure, but many people are playing just to play. When I want to play quality players with a more consistent connection, I play on my other console.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, when i play on the Xbox, my gameplay translates 1 to 1 as you are playing the same game. Even the Switch's Pro-Controller translates 1 for 1 for an Xbox controller. So yeah, I never feel like I'm loosing anything in translation.

Like I said in the beginning, if you know what you are getting, the Switch version is a no brainer. MK11 is my most played game on the Switch now (right after Skyrim).
I have it on switch too but have never played it outside of wifi. I could have sworn i tried turning wifi off on the console and it wouldnt let me open mk11 from the main switch menu?

Onilordasmodeus

That may have been right at the beginning. When you first boot up the game you have a mandatory download. After that though, you can log-on and play without a connection like normal, albeit without a few modes and rewards.

Last edited:
@Onilordasmodeus Thanks man, that's excellent to know. I'd be using it like I used the PlayStation Vita version of Mortal Kombat (2011): to mostly play Offline on my train commutes to and from work; toying in the Practice Room to work on my fundamentals or doing Tower runs. If Local Fight (Single Fight) works Offline, I'd use it for that as well.

Basically, it sounds like I would be able to use it for exactly what I'd want.

No Krypt Offline, though, correct?

Onilordasmodeus

@Onilordasmodeus Thanks man, that's excellent to know. I'd be using it like I used the PlayStation Vita version of Mortal Kombat (2011): to mostly play Offline on my train commutes to and from work; toying in the Practice Room to work on my fundamentals or doing Tower runs. If Local Fight (Single Fight) works Offline, I'd use it for that as well.

Basically, it sounds like I would be able to use it for exactly what I'd want.

No Krypt Offline, though, correct?
Correct. No krypt offline.

I have it on switch too but have never played it outside of wifi. I could have sworn i tried turning wifi off on the console and it wouldnt let me open mk11 from the main switch menu?
Yeah I play on Switch everyday when I’m not at home to play on my Xbox One X, and I can assure you this is not the case. About 50% of the time I play, I have Airplane Mode on and/or no WiFi available. I use the Switch version to lab characters and practice combos when I’m not home, and the gameplay transition from console to console, as far as that goes at least, is nearly seamless.