What's new

Breakthrough - Hat Trick The new Hat Trick Kung lao - Patch 10-04-16

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Hey guys considering we haven't got this one yet, i'm doing this specifically because there are some stealth buffs and major changes that beneficts this variation pretty well with some of the new adds, i'm currently at work, so hopefully sunday i will have some you and me alone time to share anything found on these days, first i will put all the changes we got, then i will go explaining how it affects hat trick specifically, into everything we asked before feel free to join the discussion.

Buffs
  1. B1 is now 7 frames and has 0 frames recovery
  2. B1,2,+2+4 is now -3 on block
  3. d1 is now 7 frames
  4. F21 is now -3 on block
  5. F2,1D1 is now -7 on block
  6. F3 is now +1 on block
  7. F34 is now +2 on block
  8. Hatarang Hitbox fixed to hit more consistent
  9. Call back Hitbox fxed to hit more consistent
  10. Convert combos from call back and heavy call back is now slightly easier
  11. Ex teleport is now 10 frames more faster grounded (this one is huge, more about it for sure)
Stealth buffs
  1. J2~ex teleport now can be executed correctly (this one is huge as well)
The TP buffs are huge
F23, 112124, B12 all link with ex TP followups, this include ex TP hammer Punch and EX TP hat slice and even EX TP MB throw for more damage, so these are now real combo links and will play a huge role with away traps now being far more dangerous on wakeups either they stay patient or get fucked. The hammer punch scales damage but still guarantees a combo for a bar to 31% on my lastest test before work.
With these we don't need the Hat Call links anymore since now we can combo with the hat at any direction as long as we have at least one bar we can do some huge swag combos with hat traps.

Also there J2 ex TP now can be done consistently without margin for errors, making J2 ex TP combos real now.
B22~ex tp MB throw now LINKS!

The juggle difference is still there, but Paulo has done something interesting with call back in order to fix the juggle inconsistency, he has relaxed the juggle window on call back, so character that are hit by it, will swirl airbone for a while as a sort of vacuum leaving them stale on the juggling line for nearly 20 frames, good enough to land a B321 link consistently it won't matter if they're standing or crouching, haven't tested with low call back yet (no time)

B1 being 7f and 0 of recovery now can be used to challenge characters after 112124~hat trap witb b12~call back or d1 call back, this will mostly force ppl to backdash jump out of our pressure rather than retalialte, you can now use B1 to stagger ppl in between pessure, to convert dive kick juggles with B12~spin, which before we have to use d4~spin or s1, b32~spin, it practically helped to deal with the juggle difference.

Use B1 to punish anything that it reaches, even in crouch block, to avoid hat trap negative edge coming out of crouch block with f2, since Lao doesn't have a DB1 command and a BF or FB1 commands, now we can play footsies with B1 without using alternate controls which messes up with hat traps and hat throws a lot on the stick.

With all these, the hat call links are not necessary anymore, because we have ex TP links now which are practically the same thing, now we can combo with our hats on any direction, we don't have juggle difference inconsistency anymore, and we have new buttons to apply pressure.
On top of that the abundant armor is gone, we may have lost armor breaker setup (need to test) but we got everything else.

I want to find out if one of these strings can link ex TP 3 on the way down for a 44 guaranteed link @ETC Mcfly if you may try to see if this works, if it does its going to be freaking huge.
#4everKung

@ROG Moonspell @just_2swift @The PantyChrist @Youphemism @Scott The Scot @myri @Dankster Morgan @DDutchguy

Last edited:

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
I've had about an hour last night to test things out - I was a bit sceptic but as I thought with the little testing I was not able to verify all the changes. I've tried to connect b12 after tele 3 but no success so far. The b12 is a fearful tool from what I saw within few ranked matches I had last night.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
@Eddy Wang I love you.

I realised a few of the universal changes helped him, especially ExTP, but I really didn't think about the links. Like you said, it's basically the same as HCB links which imo is all he needed anyway alongside inconsistency fixes.

Hat Trick has been one of my side bitches for a while now but I'm definitely gonna pick him back up properly alongside Summoner. Thanks for opening my eyes a little further Mr Wang.

P.S You should change your name to "The Wang".

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
@Eddy Wang

I forgot to mention, I've tried couple of armor breaking setups in the corner but with the double armor its not possible anymore. I've tested on on JC's ex shadow kick I believe.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I've had about an hour last night to test things out - I was a bit sceptic but as I thought with the little testing I was not able to verify all the changes. I've tried to connect b12 after tele 3 but no success so far. The b12 is a fearful tool from what I saw within few ranked matches I had last night.
It seems so, i will come up with a few things i have in mind, don't sweat.

Eddy make a hattrick combo for us with some ideas please.
I will, bake a few stuff these past days, if no one does it before me, i will share some practical combos.

Tempest gg
Lol, tempest is still lit, i just like Hat Trick better, those buffs were a god send.

@Eddy Wang I love you.

I realised a few of the universal changes helped him, especially ExTP, but I really didn't think about the links. Like you said, it's basically the same as HCB links which imo is all he needed anyway alongside inconsistency fixes.

Hat Trick has been one of my side bitches for a while now but I'm definitely gonna pick him back up properly alongside Summoner. Thanks for opening my eyes a little further Mr Wang.

P.S You should change your name to "The Wang".
No prob, enjoy the variation, but "the Wang" is a bit to explicit lol, thanks, i just enjoy how it is.

@Eddy Wang

I forgot to mention, I've tried couple of armor breaking setups in the corner but with the double armor its not possible anymore. I've tested on on JC's ex shadow kick I believe.
I said before we may have lost them, the armor breaking part is the 212 in the 11212 string, if you can land those 3 hits on the wakeup window you can break literally any 2 hit armor moves, the best setup to get it is landing a 21 in the corner, and then do 11212 right after you place a trap by buffering its command.