What's new

The Friday Report: April 26, 2019

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
The Friday report is an idea I have a of a weekly thread that reflects attitudes about the game and tournament outcomes each week. We will see if it catches on and people enjoy it.

First off, happy Friday fellow kombatants and welcome to the first and hopefully not last Friday report. These are the big news items and attitudes I've observed over the week.

1. The game is pretty good, and at least attempting a deeper than ever fighting engine for a Mortal Kombat game.
  2. The story mode is one of the best, if not the best to ever be in a fighting game. The time travel is silly, and there are plot holes, but it's damn entertaining nonetheless.
  3. Zoning characters are a bit weak right now. Cetrion is perceived as the worst character in the game. Noob-Saibot and the term "underwhelming" are often coupled together. It's far too early to made any kinds of tier lists or serious match up assertions, but this is a popular enough opinion that it probably has merit.
  4. MASSIVE oversight the default variations for the characters ARE NOT the tournament/kompetitive variations. Forcing tournament serious players to go into customization menu--->Select the Character-->Create and Name a new set and icon-->Scroll to "Abilities" and finally select the tournament pre-sets (marked with trophys) to recreate them if they wish to practice those load-outs.
  5. Also MASSIVE oversight, the currency system and unlockables method was badly botched, but a fix is on the way.
  6. No big tournament news this early on though some local gamestops are hosting open-entry tournaments this weekend.
Hot Takes (these are supposed to be controversial):
  1. The botched upload system, and bad choice to not make the default loadouts the same as the tournament specific ones coupled may have alienated some players early on.
  2. If zoning is this bad, and the best characters to pick are going to be in-close mix-up playing characters, then despite all the advanced mechanics like flawless blocking, and emphasis on spacing, footsies, and other tweaks, the game may play fundamentally similar to the rushdown and pressure heavy MKX. Is it really progressive, or is it MKX: Slow Edition?
  3. Female Character Design... Controversial for sure, but regardless of how you feel about it hitboxes seam very consistent in MK11, and that's a very good thing from a mechanical standpoint.

Have at it, and let me know if this is something you want to see more of. If it sucks I will work on it. Have fun, and be kind to one another.