What's new

The Flash’ TV Show & Its Impact on ‘Arrow’ Season 2

tazzmission

Banned
sounds amazing

Forgive the somewhat painful pun, but news about The Flash – The CW’s planned Arrow spin-off – is coming fast. Just yesterday, the announcement seemingly came out of nowhere, and now there is a flurry of new information about Barry Allen’s introduction into DC’s TV universe and his presence in Star City during the second season of Arrow.

Read what Arrow producers Andrew Kreisberg and Geoff Johns said during a conference call on how much we’ll see of Barry Allen, what made the character right for such an undertaking, superspeed, Greg Berlanti’s love of The Flash, and more.

It really started with Greg Berlanti. The Flash was his favorite character, as a kid, growing up, and he’s obviously been a strong personal favorite of both Geoff [Johns] and mine. So, when Greg approached us, one day, and said, “Hey, what would you think, if we did The Flash as a spin-off?,” all of us lit up. Despite the fact that he’s got superpowers, I think there’s something relatable about Barry, of the big seven of The Justice League. He got his powers by accident. He isn’t a God. He isn’t an alien. He wasn’t seeking this out. It came to him. And his reactions to that feel very human and grounded. I know that’s a word we use a lot on Arrow, but that’s how it really feels. Oliver Queen is a very dark and tortured soul, and Barry is not. I think it will be fun to see these two characters together because they both have distinctly different world views while both caring very deeply about right and wrong.

That’s Andrew Kreisberg and he isn’t kidding when he says that The Flash is a strong personal favorite of Johns’. The comic scribe helped bring Barry Allen back to life for good (as much as one can) in the Flash Rebirth comic, had a five-year run as the primary Flash writer in the early aughts, and authored the DC Univers-altering Flashpoint storyline.

Stephen Amell taking aim in Arrow New Details on The Flash TV Show & Its Impact on Arrow Season 2

Sadly, Arrow fans aren’t going to get the fully powered up Barry from the comics, though – or at least not at first. Here’s Kreisberg on Barry Allen, the man.

When we first meet Barry Allen, he’s just a forensic scientist working for the police department. He’s just an ordinary man, when we meet him. As we always do on ‘Arrow’, we try to keep things as grounded and realistic as possible. That’s how the audience will be introduced to Barry and get to know him, before his life gets a little bit faster.

See, I’m not the only one who is guilty of painful Flash/speed puns, but while Kreisberg later added, “He will be The Flash” when answering a follow-up question, the big reveal is how the Arrowverse will handle the existence of super powers. Here’s Johns and Kreisberg on that.

Johns: We looked at it as Barry Allen. When he first appeared back in the ‘50s, he ushered in the Silver Age of DC superheroes. In the same way, he’s going to usher in some new and pretty insane concepts to the Arrow world, but in a very grounded way.

Kreisberg: The important thing is that our characters, who people have really come to know and like, will react to the extraordinary changes to their world, hopefully in a very realistic way. These “powers” won’t be treated as commonplace, on the show. They will be extraordinary events and the world, and our characters in it, will react accordingly.

Speaking of worlds, it seems as though episodes 8 and 9 will have more to do with what Kreisberg called Barry Allen’s “profound impact” on Oliver Queen’s life in Star City and their superhero team-up (Oliver and Barry will absolutely interact) and less to do with setting up his own world in Central City.

For that challenge, Johns, Kreisberg, and Berlanti will get some help from Arrow pilot director David Nutter, who will helm episode 20, which Johns said will show “Barry Allen and The Flash’s world starting to form, in earnest”.

flash arrow s2 details comic cover New Details on The Flash TV Show & Its Impact on Arrow Season 2

Now, that doesn’t mean that we’ll see Central City or The Mirror Master in what sounds like a backdoor pilot for the spin-off series (sorry David Cassidy), but maybe if means that we’ll get a chance to see The Flash use his superspeed, an SFX challenge that has always hung over speculation about past live-action Flash projects.

Here’s Johns on the thought process behind that particular challenge.

It will be very different. It will not be blurring around. It will be very different. [...] There’s also some wonderful visuals in The Flash comic book, currently, that we’re looking at because they’re really inspiring. Also, there’s a DC animated film, called Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, and there’s some sequences in there. I’ve never seen super-speed like that before, especially towards the end. We’re getting inspired by every incarnation of The Flash, everywhere, and beyond that.

http://screenrant.com/flash-tv-show-series-story-origin-powers-speed-arrow-season-2-crossover

updated today

Barry Allen will first appear in episodes eight and nine of Arrow before returning in episode 20 for what has been described as a backdoor pilot for his own series. But what brings the character to Starling City in the first place? TV Line has the answer. "I’ve got fresh intel on exactly what brings Central City PD CSI Barry Allen to Oliver’s orbit. The would-be speedster travels (not by foot, I assume) to Starling City while investigating a series of brutal slayings that he believes may have a connection to his mother’s years-ago murder — a crime for which his father has been unjustly imprisoned.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=84679#JEeraxiXr8tO6ITi.99

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Nice, Arrow didn't really interest me since I watched 10 years of Smallville and got so used to that Green Arrow plus not a HUGE GA fan per-se, but Flash? Now, I have interest again! I must watch Flash as I did Smallville, would be cool if Tom Welling made a few guest appearances as Supes. I'm pumped, I used to watch the 90's Flash show(which was a tad cheesy) but I'm SURE now with the more serious, darker tone of DC on film/TV and John's involved it will deliver.

Thanks for the news, was just on comicvine today didn't see anything about this updated yet surprisingly...probably will be by tomorrow though.

tazzmission

Banned
Nice, Arrow didn't really interest me since I watched 10 years of Smallville and got so used to that Green Arrow plus not a HUGE GA fan per-se, but Flash? Now, I have interest again! I must watch Flash as I did Smallville, would be cool if Tom Welling made a few guest appearances as Supes. I'm pumped, I used to watch the 90's Flash show(which was a tad cheesy) but I'm SURE now with the more serious, darker tone of DC on film/TV and John's involved it will deliver.

Thanks for the news, was just on comicvine today didn't see anything about this updated yet surprisingly...probably will be by tomorrow though.

dude did you see the season 2 trailer of arrow?

black canry is in also summer glau and michael jai white as bronze tiger!

the director confirmed some guy named brother blood or w/e at sdcc

tazzmission

Banned
SAN DIEGO — There’s two new residents moving to Starling City — and they’re no friends of “Arrow.”
The addition of a pair of villains based on characters from the DC Comics universe was announced Saturday at the Comic-Con presentation for the crime-fighting CW series “Arrow.”
“Spawn” star Michael Jai White will play Ben Turner, a claw-wielding Suicide Squad assassin known as Bronze Tiger. He’ll form an alliance with China White, the alabaster-haired villainess played by Kelly Hu. “True Blood” and “Southland” actor Kevin Alejandro will portray Sebastian Blood, a savvy politician based on the “New Teen Titans” baddie Brother Blood.
“Arrow” star Stephen Amell was joined on Saturday’s panel by co-stars David Ramsey, Colton Haynes, Emily Bett Rickards and Katie Cassidy, as well as executive producers Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg.
The panel launched with a trailer for the second season showing Amell’s Oliver Queen contemplating a new nickname and a butt-kicking masked woman believed to be the Black Canary, the famous DC Comics heroine and Arrow love interest.
Kreisberg hinted that “one of the things we’re doing this season is we’re telling the beginning of the Black Canary story” but wouldn’t say which character would be underneath the mask.
The second season of “Arrow” premieres Oct. 9.
http://entertainment.inquirer.net/104323/bronze-tiger-brother-blood-coming-to-arrow#ixzz2arxop6Jc

Well, Queen's love interest, Laurel, has Black Canary's alter ego. So, I suppose since the beginning there has been a suggestion that Black Canary might show up.