What's new

The Difficulty in Balancing Characters with ranged pokes or unique properties

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
A very interesting article written by Catalyst on eventhubs came up today.

It covers a Seth Killian's interview with Jason24cf. Seth covers his experience balancing Sf4 and what difficulties arose for certain characters.

Killian played a huge role in balancing the previous SF4 series of games, and had some insight to share about how difficult it is.

One fighter Killian said that was very challenging to get right was Vega, as he is so dominating with his pokes when he has his claw, it's overwhelming, so his combination of speed and range can lock down other characters.

"Usually when you have long range characters like Dhalsim — any character who has one unique property — especially strong range, [that's] very dangerous," said Killian.

Killian noted that it's very easy to make characters like Dhalsim and Vega the best in the game, because they're so dominant from long ranges, so typically the developers are careful.

"Other characters are a little easier to control, so I think that's why sometimes in tough balancing situations, if you have the choice between [giving them something extra], sometimes it's better to err on the side of caution.

"It's very easy to go wrong with the sorta slightly more oddball characters," he said.

Killian added that it's not just about raw balance, it's also about fun. He felt that if you can spam moves over and over again, and lock the player down, that's not fun, even if there are technically some ways of getting out of it.

This really made me think about the last two major titles NRS has made.

Currently the community is in a general agreement that Mmh and Aquaman are currently the best in Injustice. What they have in common is that they too have long pokes that pressure/punish opponents at ranges that many can't compare to.

Superman prepatch also had this range/pressure advantage that threw balance out the window, but the big difference post patch to Superman to MMH/Aquaman is that Superman has no reliable anti air option (like Vega from SF4). Mmh and Aquaman on the other hand have some of the best anti airs in the game.

As far as MK9's balance goes, Kenshi obviously comes to mind. Kabal had his very obvious character design flaws. It's hard to bring these up though because NRS has learned SO much since designing those characters.

There's plenty of ways to make ranged characters or powerful neutral game characters. They could have no anti air, they could have low damage, or my personal favorite... horrible wakeup attacks. Wakeup attacks are a HUGE deal in NRS games.

What do you guys think of in regards to balance in MKX? What wouldn't/would you like to see and what would you do if you had the opportunity to make a balanced moveset for new or existing characters?

@colt

Last edited:

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Superman prepatch also had this range/pressure advantage that threw balance out the window, but the big difference post patch to Superman to MMH/Aquaman is that Superman has no reliable anti air option (like Vega from SF4). Mmh and Aquaman on the other hand have some of the best anti airs in the game.
So... How exactly did you kome to these paradoxical konclusions?

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
A ranged character without a 9 frame low starter would be nice.
yeah him having a fast low starter, another long range low, a ridiculously long range overhead starter, the best b3 in the game (in terms of range) and one of the best f3's among ther things seems like a bitch much lol i doubt they were trying to balance him

imo characters don't need a huge weakness to balance the game out, if the game has a wide range of variety between fighting styles there is bound to be 6-4's in the game which is fine.

For example people are really hardheaded to adjust to playing aquaman or adapting to the games mechanics in general, stuff like dashing into peoples face should be very punishible by a lot of characters, if you look at 16 bit vs theo he would always dash into that range where he is safe against d1 trident rush and from there on try to play the game against aquaman. Next to that you see people still use their normal jumpattacks against aquaman while they have jumpattacks that instantly launch whic makes his trait useless. Wonderwomans often use j1 against aquaman, but don't use j3 at all. The only player I have seen use j3 against aquaman is KDZ.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Ermac's horrible wakeups and lack of armor are what kept him balanced. His only overhead is garbage and non comboable as well.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
I like that "They Live" Obama shirt he's wearing. I gotta pick one of those up