What's new

The Definitive "iAF" (Instant Air Fan) Guide

Lomyn

Snoctopus
A lot of players are posting asking questions what the “Instant Air Fan” or “iAF” is, despite the various topics that have already been created and answered. So, once and for all, here is your definitive “WTF is iAF” guide.

WTF is the iAF?

The instant air fan is, simply put, an air fan (j.d,f+1) thrown as low to ground as possible so that Kitana appears to immediately go from a neutral standing position to the air fan attack. When done correctly, the fan will hit standing opponents, where as an air fan that is thrown at a higher point in the jump will soar over the head of the opponent.

How do I do an iAF?

Input u, d,f+1 as quickly as possible. I’ve heard that you can do d,u,f+1 as well, but that method has never worked for me. If done properly, the fan will hit a neutral standing opponent in their face. Opponents are able to crouch it as they would any other projectile.

Why would I use an iAF over a regular fan?

The two primary reasons are startup speed and recovery. A properly performed iAF comes out almost twice as quickly as a ground fan, and also has far less recovery. The iAF also does slightly more damage, and opens up a few decent combo options if it hits an airborne opponent. It is much more difficult for an opponent to react to and punish iAFs, and against some characters at the proper distances there may be no punishes that can be done on reaction.

Awesome! So it’s like an impenetrable wall of fans!

No, it’s not. Like any ability in a well-designed fighter, if you become too predictable your opponent can really lay the hurt on you. Low-traveling attacks such as Sub-Zero’s slide or Stryker’s roll can go under the fans, and teleport attacks can still hit you, such as those done by Ermac, or Scorpion’s X-Ray. Some characters can also still just flat-out out-zone Kitana even when using this technique. That’s not to say that against other zoners they’re useless- against some of Kitana’s tougher matchups (Stryker, Noob) there are many cases where you wouldn’t even be able to get a normal fan on screen but you can sacrifice some damage to get an iAF on screen to hit your opponent/get them to block, allowing you to regain some initiative- you just need to be aware of your opponent’s punish options.

Do I need to use iAFs to win?

At higher levels of play, yes. It’s an incredibly powerful tool, and by varying the height you use the fans at Kitana can control huge sections of the screen to counter several angle of attacks. You are only hurting yourself by ignoring this tool.

How do I do them consistently?

Practice. I found the attack easier to do on a stick than a pad. You can cheat a little by starting at u/b and rotating to d, and then f, but it is harder to get the fan out as low to the ground as possible with that method due their being extra inputs after the initial jump. You’re really best just learning to do u, d,f+1 properly.

lobo

woof.
nice thread. i've gotten to where i can throw it a good 90% of the time now. i honestly still don't think it is that good, though. it recovers nicely but still loses to so many other projectiles. i LOVE that i can combo off it, though.

my question is this; from full screen if i land an iAF on a jumping opponent and then throw two more, the second one will almost always shoot upwards and whiff entirely. this works well for just outside jump distance, but very rarely. far more often, it whiffs. this seems to be automatic when dealing with an airborn opponent higher that she is. do any of you know how i can control this, or any thrick to prevent it from coming out? i haaaaaate that upwards air fan. though, i've learned that even at full screen i can iAF>upward AF> ff, ff, ff, ff, 4fan>f2cutter on an airborn opponent for LOL full screen luck juggle damage.

i sure wish i knew better how to control that damn fan, though.

I don't know for sure but from my experience it seems that you get the upfan if you try to active fans with a certain timing from the previous ones. It seems that a slight delay to the timing of the second fan should solve the problem. I've been trying to figure the upfans out but this is all i've got thus far.. I want to know if you can control it with inputs though, because it might be useful.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
nice thread. i've gotten to where i can throw it a good 90% of the time now. i honestly still don't think it is that good, though. it recovers nicely but still loses to so many other projectiles. i LOVE that i can combo off it, though.

my question is this; from full screen if i land an iAF on a jumping opponent and then throw two more, the second one will almost always shoot upwards and whiff entirely. this works well for just outside jump distance, but very rarely. far more often, it whiffs. this seems to be automatic when dealing with an airborn opponent higher that she is. do any of you know how i can control this, or any thrick to prevent it from coming out? i haaaaaate that upwards air fan. though, i've learned that even at full screen i can iAF>upward AF> ff, ff, ff, ff, 4fan>f2cutter on an airborn opponent for LOL full screen luck juggle damage.

i sure wish i knew better how to control that damn fan, though.
There is a certain window where once you hit someone with an air fan, another one thrown too soon will veer away from them. This prevents an infinite that used to happen. You can't control the fan.

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
Full-screen I whiff the instant airfan almost every time, but mid-screen or closer and I'm gold, 100%. Weird.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I'll repost this here... against Nightwolf at full or near fullscreen. If you do an iAF and he reflects it and you immediately do another one, the reflected iAF disappears!

Shiizu

Theory Fighter
I'll repost this here... against Nightwolf at full or near fullscreen. If you do an iAF and he reflects it and you immediately do another one, the reflected iAF disappears!
I noticed this too. If you miss the second iAF however, you get hit.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
If he reflects an EX fan and it hits you, he gets a free combo after lol ... The way I found best to fight against NW is to get on him and stay there.