What's new

The best pad/stick

bettyswallaux

XBOXLive: BettySwallaux
Dont laugh, this is 100% true, iv'e never used anything other than an xbox 360 pad to play this game, and the time has come to buy something else, im looking for somthing cheap(ish), iv'e never used a stick (new to fighting games), but im quite intrested in learning how to, but also i love pads, so please suggest to me something cheap, thanks in advance :D

Probably the cheapest route is to get a dualshock 2 (yes the ps2 pad) and a converter.
Stick will always be more expensive and will take a lot of getting used to, but can very viably help certain aspects of your game. really depends on how much you're willing to spend and how much time you're willing to invest.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Probably the cheapest route is to get a dualshock 2 (yes the ps2 pad) and a converter.
Stick will always be more expensive and will take a lot of getting used to, but can very viably help certain aspects of your game. really depends on how much you're willing to spend and how much time you're willing to invest.
I agree, the PS2 pad is the best for fighting games, it is durable and is cheap. It will be fine for any kind of fighting games. I have just one problem with it: it is not cordless :(. The ps3 controller looks like its twin but is not so good (although I heard that the white ps3 controller is good for fighting games :confused: ). Some people say that the Hori Fighting commander 3 is astonishing (no the commander 3 "pro"). I have the ps3 black standard controller and the logitech precision controller for ps3, I prefer the default controller cause the d-pad of the logitech one "clicks" too much and you have to push harder to get dashes, but for making half circle special movements (Hadoken, etc) I don't have any problem (contrary to the ps3 standard one). So I hope this helps you someway.

SxT Madcatz Fight Pad. My only gripe is they are a little too small compared to the Brawl Pads but they do the job quite fine. Takes about a week to loosen it up if you play consistently. Until a company makes a high quality fight pad with changeable/replaceable parts its definitely the way to go I think.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I have a ps2 pad and xtokki converter for my xbox, but I swear that thing lags even though many have said otherwise. What pad do people use on this site for xbox?

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
SxT Madcatz Fight Pad. My only gripe is they are a little too small compared to the Brawl Pads but they do the job quite fine. Takes about a week to loosen it up if you play consistently. Until a company makes a high quality fight pad with changeable/replaceable parts its definitely the way to go I think.
I almost buy one but I heard they are very fragile, and the reviews I read just scared me :eek:.

I agree, the PS2 pad is the best for fighting games, it is durable and is cheap. It will be fine for any kind of fighting games. I have just one problem with it: it is not cordless :(. The ps3 controller looks like its twin but is not so good (although I heard that the white ps3 controller is good for fighting games :confused: ). Some people say that the Hori Fighting commander 3 is astonishing (no the commander 3 "pro"). I have the ps3 black standard controller and the logitech precision controller for ps3, I prefer the default controller cause the d-pad of the logitech one "clicks" too much and you have to push harder to get dashes, but for making half circle special movements (Hadoken, etc) I don't have any problem (contrary to the ps3 standard one). So I hope this helps you someway.
Certain tournaments dont allow cordless, so ps2 pad is universal.Ps3 pad is sorta meh because of the triggers imo.

I had my Brawl Pad for over a year before the shoulder button broke. So I think those were made just fine. If you are scared of the SxT being fragile go for those, basically the same controller. I just think the SxT has a slightly better dpad because its raised up.

As for the SxT controllers, the first one I bought did break after like 3 months. Although the controller itself is fine and I can use it, if you move around too much the wire will come loose and disconnect which sucks. They are super cheap though like $20 if not less. I plan on buying one for PS3 and a couple extra for backup.

aldazo

aj1701

Noob
Wired is better... Wireless adds lag.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Wired is better... Wireless adds lag.
Yeah, I heard that, but I'm not a competitive gamer, I play just "tough" casuals with my brother :cool: , never entered a tournament. Also, I never notice any lag when playing, maybe I have a good tv or is just that I don't noticed it cause me being not a competitive gamer.

aj1701

Noob
Yeah, I heard that, but I'm not a competitive gamer, I play just "tough" casuals with my brother :cool: , never entered a tournament. Also, I never notice any lag when playing, maybe I have a good tv or is just that I don't noticed it cause me being not a competitive gamer.
I only play online and u can tell the difference both off and online.

aj1701

Noob
But the online lag is about the game per se. Offline I just dont notice it, maybe thats the reason why my brother kick my ass always :(.
No I mean I noticed less input delay going from wireless pad to wired. In this game 1/60th if a second matters.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
No I mean I noticed less input delay going from wireless pad to wired. In this game 1/60th if a second matters.
ok, now I get it. I always use the wireless one, so I can't tell much about the input delay. What I can tell is that the chinese fake controllers are bad as hell, if you play with those things you will notice between 1 to 2 seconds input lag!! :eek:

KRYS9984

Noob
Correct.

aldazo, you can actually test it out with your current controller.

Take your standard Dualshock 3 and simply plug it in as if you were charging it. Now play some matches (preferably offline) and you will notice that the inputs will be read faster as opposed to wireless.

The reason tournament players do not use a PS3 pad is because they are not tournament legal. The home button can cause serious sync problems and could potentially screw up matches in progress. Removing the battery / converting the PS3 pad to only read a wired connection is an option some people use but bigger tournaments (such as EVO) do not accept this as a legitimate wired controller and forbid them.

bettyswallaux, it was mentioned before, but a good option (under $50.00) is a PS2 Pad with a converter.

A stick option is the standard Street Fighter IV Fightstick which can be purchased quite cheap these days. Out of the box, the components are not the best quality but it's an easy stick to mod / customize; if you feel comfortable playing on the fightstick and want to take it to the next level, you can easily swap out the buttons and joystick for good quality SANWA parts.

bettyswallaux

XBOXLive: BettySwallaux
Correct.

aldazo, you can actually test it out with your current controller.

Take your standard Dualshock 3 and simply plug it in as if you were charging it. Now play some matches (preferably offline) and you will notice that the inputs will be read faster as opposed to wireless.

The reason tournament players do not use a PS3 pad is because they are not tournament legal. The home button can cause serious sync problems and could potentially screw up matches in progress. Removing the battery / converting the PS3 pad to only read a wired connection is an option some people use but bigger tournaments (such as EVO) do not accept this as a legitimate wired controller and forbid them.

bettyswallaux, it was mentioned before, but a good (under $50.00 option) is a PS2 Pas with a X-BOX 360 to PS3 converter.

A stick option is the standard Street Fighter IV Fightstick which can be purchased quite cheap these days. Out of the box, the components are not the best quality but it's an easy stick to mod / customize; if you feel comfortable playing on the fightstick and want to take it to the next level, you can easily swap out the buttons and joystick for good quality SANWA parts.

Thanks man very helpful, i actually do have a ps2 pad + converter it just lags like hell

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
you can actually test it out with your current controller.

Question: if I play with the wireless controller at a 2 meter distance from the ps3, will it lag more if I play at a 4 meter distance?

I was in the same spot not long ago, stuck with the standard 360 d-pad. Since then I have found a couple of options, both of which have worked wonders.

First of all, being that you are most comfortable with pad, check out the evil d-pad. Its a mod kit for either a wired or wireless 360 controller. It will run you a measly $25, so even if it doesn't suit you, you haven't spent an arm and a leg to try it out. Assembly is simple, great instructions. Check out the link below for the product. I still use mine, it's downright awesome.

http://www.evilcontrollers.com/products/xbox-360-controller-parts/evil-d-pad-face-plates/evil-d-pad-facelift-kit.html

If after that you are still finding that your hitting a glass ceiling as far as reaction time and execution goes, I would suggest looking into getting a fight stick. I personally picked up the Hori Real Arcade Pro vx-sa for xbox 360. Its only gonna run you about $130 which, if you do some research, really is not bad considering the quality of the components used in the stick. All sanwa parts, great for a first stick. It took me about a month or so of practice, going from pad to stick but the time spent has been totally worth it. Best part is, fight pads are universal. Once you get the hang of one you can pretty much take your skill set anywhere and perform up to your full potential. Here is a link to it on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Arcade-Pro-VX-Xbox-360/dp/B0041S9U8A

Now hind sight being 20/20, knowing what i know now about different fight sticks, let me also suggest the eightarc fusion. It's a bit more expensive ($185) however, it is dual modded right out of the box which means you can ignore all this talk about converters etc... Right out of the box, the stick works with 360/ps3 and pc. If I could I would go back and pick this one up instead of the hori stick. Link below.

http://eightarc.com/fusion-ebony

Hope this helps.

KRYS9984

Noob
Question: if I play with the wireless controller at a 2 meter distance from the ps3, will it lag more if I play at a 4 meter distance?
I can't really give you a definitive answer if a 2 meter distance would make a difference but wired as opposed to wireless does.

I sit about 10 feet from my television and as we know, the standard PS3 USB to Mini USB cable is quite short. I went to my local electronics store and purchase an extension cable for $1.99 (12 feet in total) and it works very well.

You should try it out, for such a small investment there's not much to lose, you could actually benefit from it.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I can't really give you a definitive answer if a 2 meter distance would make a difference but wired as opposed to wireless does.

I sit about 10 feet from my television and as we know, the standard PS3 USB to Mini USB cable is quite short. I went to my local electronics store and purchase an extension cable for $1.99 (12 feet in total) and it works very well.

You should try it out, for such a small investment there's not much to lose, you could actually benefit from it.
I never thought about an extension, good idea. But regardless of the lag issue I prefer wireless because my ps3 is in the living room and I have tons of dogs and cats and they are walking around trying to "play" with the cables :mad:. Also, my family dont like the cables spread all on the floor cause they have to be careful when walking around :(, but really I nead some wire cause everytime I play my brother and trade punches or kicks he always win and I assume is because he use wire and I'm not, and since I sit closer to the tv I feel the controller respond better but maybe it is me interacting with a sharper screen image, I dont know really. Thanks for the advice btw.