What's new

Testing no downtime with a fighting game stream, thoughts?

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Owner
Administrator
Premium Supporter

The_SNKE

BLT | RM
I watched the last IGAU stream they did and I couldn't stop telling them how much I was into their setup. The streamer told me they spent 18K on their tech. I'm definitely looking at their stream as inspiration to step my game up. I have huge plans for BLT I'm cooking that I'm hoping will be ready by MKX time :)

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Owner
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I watched the last IGAU stream they did and I couldn't stop telling them how much I was into their setup. The streamer told me they spent 18K on their tech. I'm definitely looking at their stream as inspiration to step my game up. I have huge plans for BLT I'm cooking that I'm hoping will be ready by MKX time :)
haha yeah, they will be doing The Common Wealth's main stream. And look for another injustice stream from them in march, they are coming down to stream top of the food chain, I have an injustice pot bonus so I hope competition shows. Glad to hear positive feedback!!!!!!

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I actually think the pacing is a bit too fast.

A little bit of time in between the matches is nice to me as a mental rest. Match after match after match gets kind of mentally stressful. Like if you were watching a first to 100 where you had to pay attention to every round.

Also I think the transition gives time to establish who the players are, and to give a camera shot of them, which I think is important for high end production too.

Going straight from match to match to match with only the names ever changing and no point of view change feels like I'm not even watching a tournament any more, almost like an online KOTH or something.

I do appreciate the production value of it though. It's probably nice not having to see button checks.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Owner
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I actually think the pacing is a bit too fast.

A little bit of time in between the matches is nice to me as a mental rest. Match after match after match gets kind of mentally stressful. Like if you were watching a first to 100 where you had to pay attention to every round.

Also I think the transition gives time to establish who the players are, and to give a camera shot of them, which I think is important for high end production too.

Going straight from match to match to match with only the names ever changing and no point of view change feels like I'm not even watching a tournament any more, almost like an online KOTH or something.

I do appreciate the production value of it though. It's probably nice not having to see button checks.
yeah this will be implemented with commantors, and we even have player bios in the works to appear. I dont see it as seemless tranistion after another the whole time at all. It's just nice to keep the viewer in the action more, and gives them the ability to see so many more matches, not just main stage, but also pools at the same time, so everyone has a chance to be on stream

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I thought of another way to put it. If you were watching say, football, and as soon as one play ended, immediately both teams were in position and started the next play, it would feel awkward and rushed right? Kind of the same for any sport I would think. There's a certain on and off pacing that I feel watching competitive stuff needs or it gets to be too overwhelming.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
My set up is about $2500 (over time and probably more like $1K cost now) and other than simply upgrading everything I have to better/newer versions, I can't imagine what they have for $18K. Do they use a tricaster or something?

The_SNKE

BLT | RM
My set up is about $2500 (over time and probably more like $1K cost now) and other than simply upgrading everything I have to better/newer versions, I can't imagine what they have for $18K. Do they use a tricaster or something?
With 18K I wouldn't be surprised if they actually used a Tricaster haha. Though I do agree that 18K sounds like overkill. We run a setup that would probably cost less than 1K today and with some ingenuity and hard work (aka alot of my time) I know that we can get our stuff relatively close to looking legit. We're entering our 38th weekly streamed but I still consider myself an infant in terms of broadcasting. Learning the craft is a lot of fun though thankfully.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
With 18K I wouldn't be surprised if they actually used a Tricaster haha. Though I do agree that 18K sounds like overkill. We run a setup that would probably cost less than 1K today and with some ingenuity and hard work (aka alot of my time) I know that we can get our stuff relatively close to looking legit. We're entering our 38th weekly streamed but I still consider myself an infant in terms of broadcasting. Learning the craft is a lot of fun though thankfully.
Nice! The best way to learn is just gain experience. 38 weeks is great and keep on going. VSM ran for about a year straight during MK9 and it helped a lot of guys learn and get into streaming by going there and jumping on.

I'm going to wind up getting an all new rig this year by the time MKX comes out, and convert my current one into my new PC. The new stream rig will have a couple large SSDs, newer i7 than I have now, load up on ram, new 1080p capture card, headsets with mics built in (they're being requested more and more) like what Art uses. They go about $200 a piece. I want the system to be blazing fast with no hiccups, the only issue is internet. I now may have to get a TMobile hotspot because in Philly that seems to be the one to choose. My verizon one gets the job done but there's always people complaining the quality is low. It can be a nuisance to

Over time my current rig has gotten beaten up and actually lost a ram slot and one ram sticks died as well, and that's when we could no longer stream at 720p 60fps. I'll keep my $200 mixer as is, headphone amps (one for commentators and one for players now - another big request and I've had it since GUTS this year), I see no reason to change those. I'll probably keep one regular Mic and headset on hand for the stream producer. As much as it's my stuff, the KN stream is sort of the community stream and it gives a lot of players the opportunity to get their voice heard and be a part of production. It's hard to get the same people at every event and like, keep people glued to commentary when they aren't being paid. I have about a dozen people cross trained to at least be able to do name changes and scene changes when I have to do other stuff, next is teaching them how and when to run commercials to boost some revenue. A lot of people don't realize that I'm generally tied into the northeast majors much deeper in regards to planning and tech stuff than any of the other streamers who are there literally just to sit there and stream matches.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
18k is pretty close to tricaster range isnt it? Anyway god stuff
I believe MLG's tricaster is like $30 to $40K but there are a couple in the $16K to $20K range that could get game streaming done and still be lightyears beyond the basic shit.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Owner
Administrator
Premium Supporter
We are looking at things like crane camera's, cameras for interviews, and the whole shebang. He said its not a tricaster but it's a simlar role as one.

These guys streamed a lot of Arenanet's guild wars 2 tournaments for them.