What's new

Question - Tempest Tempest & Lows

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
I finally decided to make the switch to Tempest for obvious reasons. How is everyone handling this variations lack of lows? I've been slapping the shit out of d3(a little d4 on the side) since it seems like the only substitute. Any info or tech would be much appreesh. Thanks in advance.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Tempest doesn't get in through 50/50's

Throw them if they are blocking, Tornado them if they are attacking, and punish them if they are recovering.

Learn your match ups and your frames. Spend meter to pressure them on block with Hat Spin. Press buttons at them whenever you have any sort of frame advantage, use your advancing strings to punish whiffs. Catch them off guard with things like Dive Kicks, Teleports, and just being fast as hell and unpredictable

D4 is your main low poke dont use d3. Just make good use of f2, f2 hat spin, b321, 11212, 112124 ex hat spin, good spaced jump 2s and dont do anything risky. In ther corner after a 21 knockdown you can call a hat spin out to break armor with b321 or run in 11212. Dont take unnecessary risks. I recommend always ending combos with 21.

You need to know your frame data with kung lao and his pressure is a lot about respect. Know your guessing games after having your normals blocked, that is one of the most important things about playing lao.

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
There was a time when this community could actually play characters that had no 50/50s without any problems at all, and 50/50s were considered something very fancy...
I love how asking for help with a new character gets me insulted. I've been playing this game for over 20 years so please shush. There was a time when people were less cocky and more humble.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I love how asking for help with a new character gets me insulted. I've been playing this game for over 20 years so please shush. There was a time when people were less cocky and more humble.
Aren't you the guy who called Predator low-tier like 2 minutes after he was released because you think he doesn't have 50/50s?

I GOT HANDS

Can I just ask - even if you are right, what the hell does it matter if he doesn't know how to use a character without a 50/50? Is it outlawed on TYM to be below someone elses skill level? The guy is asking for help with one of the less intuitive aspects of the character in regards to the rest of the cast. He's not saying that he is better than you at the game, he's not saying Lao needs buffs, he's not doing anything but trying to level up, and going about the right way, in a polite and humble manner, inside the correct sub-forum. Why you feel the need to send shots at him for it beyond me, the Lao players in here are happy to help

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
Aren't you the guy who called Predator low-tier like 2 minutes after he was released because you think he doesn't have 50/50s?
Wow. His normals and strings are slow and have big gaps, he has no wake up game, AND no overhead (great d4 tho). This game isnt nearly as complicated as Street Fighter or Tekken, please stop acting like it is. Anyone that UNDERSTANDS MK's mechanics can play with a character for a couple hours and get a general idea of what they're capable of.
<3 MK.

Last edited:

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
Can I just ask - even if you are right, what the hell does it matter if he doesn't know how to use a character without a 50/50? Is it outlawed on TYM to be below someone elses skill level? The guy is asking for help with one of the less intuitive aspects of the character in regards to the rest of the cast. He's not saying that he is better than you at the game, he's not saying Lao needs buffs, he's not doing anything but trying to level up, and going about the right way, in a polite and humble manner, inside the correct sub-forum. Why you feel the need to send shots at him for it beyond me, the Lao players in here are happy to help
Thank you, Jesus christ. I'm not familiar with Tempest Lao at all.

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
There was a time when this community could actually play characters that had no 50/50s without any problems at all, and 50/50s were considered something very fancy...
Yeah, please keep acting like 50/50s arent a big part of this game. Is this the new cool thing? Acting like 50/50s are scrubby and not important? Simple.

TheGoldenJew

PSN: The_Golden_Jew1
i love how this thread got derailed so quickly…..Lao is all about his pressure man. 11212(4) EX Hat Spin on block and for lows def make use of F23~Hat Spin, F23~Spin, JkDk, 21….B321 ~hat spin as well…. use EX Spin as your anti air tool and to armor through gaps in opponent strings… and D4>>>>D3

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
I'm not entirely sure that was directly a dig at you. I think braindead is referencing mk9 where the OH/low mixup was more rare.

Either way, d4 is a great harassment tool. I would suggest watching footage of a foxy grampa and DJT so you can get a good idea of how Kung Lao plays his game in the neutral

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
i love how this thread got derailed so quickly…..Lao is all about his pressure man. 11212(4) EX Hat Spin on block and for lows def make use of F23~Hat Spin, F23~Spin, JkDk, 21….B321 ~hat spin as well…. use EX Spin as your anti air tool and to armor through gaps in opponent strings… and D4>>>>D3
Use 21 ender for oki setup? Or B321 for dmg? I've been using 21 for a whillllle.

TheGoldenJew

Use 21 ender for oki setup? Or B321 for dmg? I've been using 21 for a whillllle.
21 as ender…that way u can get ur hat out and rush to stuff armored wake ups… B321 can be used for pressure~ EX Hat spin, or as damage on hit confirm.. for example : B321~Hat Spin, B32~Spin(whatever his spins called), B32~EX Spin, NJP, JkDk, 21…its about 40% with one bar…or you can do the same without using the bar of meter and just end the combo after B32~Spin with JkDK, 21

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
21 as ender…that way u can get ur hat out and rush to stuff armored wake ups… B321 can be used for pressure~ EX Hat spin, or as damage on hit confirm.. for example : B321~Hat Spin, B32~Spin(whatever his spins called), B32~EX Spin, NJP, JkDk, 21…its about 40% with one bar…or you can do the same without using the bar of meter and just end the combo after B32~Spin with JkDK, 21
Thanks dude. In Buzz Saw I was so used to relying on ex hat for pressure, I think it was starting to gimp me. That's part of the reason I made the switch to Tmp.

I GOT HANDS

I think ending with B321 is preferable if possible (eg Divekick opener) because it does more damage and the B321 can be cancelled into HatSpin anyway, and the knockdown is untechable. However for the most part 21 is the optimal ender as a lot of combos can't really do a B321 ender because of gravity only 21 will connect

TheGoldenJew

I think ending with B321 is preferable if possible (eg Divekick opener) because it does more damage and the B321 can be cancelled into HatSpin anyway, and the knockdown is untechable. However for the most part 21 is the optimal ender as a lot of combos can't really do a B321 ender because of gravity only 21 will connect
Thing is Lao is so easy to get 40+ with one bar that when ur not using the bar going for the knockdown corner cary still gives u 30% and u can now stuff armor with hat spin into B321 in corner

I GOT HANDS

Thing is Lao is so easy to get 40+ with one bar that when ur not using the bar going for the knockdown corner cary still gives u 30% and u can now stuff armor with hat spin into B321 in corner
Except you have MORE time to get a Hatspin up and get in their face with B321, and it does more damage.