What's new

Tekken 6 stick worth 20 bucks?

I have never had a arcade stick, but my buddy has a tekken 6 stick that came with the game. Is it worth 20 bucks, or should I pass? Its made by hori. It has eight buttons with the two closest to the stick off set. It is thin compared to the ones I see people on youtube using. Is It decent for something to learn with, or will it break in two weeks?

Thanks, Sean

LesMore

Top 8 Injustice Frosty Faustings VII
I have that stick I use it for SFxtekken
I have never had a arcade stick, but my buddy has a tekken 6 stick that came with the game. Is it worth 20 bucks, or should I pass? Its made by hori. It has eight buttons with the two closest to the stick off set. It is thin compared to the ones I see people on youtube using. Is It decent for something to learn with, or will it break in two weeks?

Thanks, Sean
it has worked for me forever, but then again I don't throw it around and shit...

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
i have that stick, is it worth 20 bucks? i guess so, but just know its a very low level stick with a wide deadzone and not very responsive buttons, its wireless, and its made with cheap parts. so yeah its worth every one of your 20 dollars but it truly is only 20 dollars worth of stick.

axeman87

Noob
Absolutely. This was my first stick. Cheap, easy to switch out the buttons and great to find out if you want to play with a stick in the first place before spending serious bucks on a decent one.

Make no mistake, its pretty darn ordinary but good enough for your first go at fight sticks. Sanwa buttons can fit if you want to start modding. You just need to dremmell out the holes slightly and art work wont survive the operation unless you re-glue it. Fairly certain Crown buttons would slot straight in as there slightly smaller.

Anyways, for $20 why not?

Dark_Rob

Noob
Anything wireless is screaming for lag when it comes to an arcade stick. The only exception Ive ever seen is the Qanba Q3, but that is a super high quality stick. The Tekken stick is a cheapo stick released with the game. Its aimed at casual players who really dont know the difference between a good arcade stick and a crappy one. The cheapest way to a decent arcade stick is to find a deal on an old Madcatz SF4 SE stick,(Ive seen them on Ebay and Amazon for as low as $40) and then swap out the stock madcatz stick and buttons for Sanwa parts.(This can be done for about another $30 or $40.)

Well I am test running it right now. And yes it does have a huge dead zone in the middle of the stick. It seems like there is at least 3/16" in each direction before it even thinks of starting to press on the switch inside. It makes it seem like the stick itself is lagging behind while the buttons are on time. But what I was thinking since I have played guitar for the last 15 years is maybe I can turn it into a hitbox? Or mabye I can just buy a better stick to put in it, are there any sticks with zero dead zone that would fit? Any Ideas on that?

And what kind of lag are we talking about with a wireless stick?

axeman87

Noob
Like we've said (some with more passion than others ;)) this stick is very ordinary and IMO only to be used as an entry point into fight sticks and/or modding.

After modding mine with some Sanwa buttons, I quickly moved onto something better (putting in a Sanwa JLF & trying Crown buttons) then ended building my own from scratch. Since I dont use the T6 anymore, I am also considering turning it into a hitbox, but ONLY to see if I like hitbox. If I do, I'll make a serious one.

As for the lag, well... its a matter of opinion. After playing with the wirelss one for a while then swtiching to a wired one, I noticed there definately WAS lag, but it was only slight and really only noticable when I was doing the fastest of inputs. That aside, there is nothing I can't do with the wireless one, that I cant do with the wired one, I just need to input some things a little bit quicker.

Overall, not a big deal initially but once you get better, faster and notice the very finer points of the game it will it be apparent. To sumize, I would have a go at hitboxing it, just buying 4x new buttons (you dont want to spend much on it even though you just pull it all out). If you like it, then look into a better & wired hitbox.

If it's the wireless one. Steer clear of it. Not only will the lag drive you crazy. You will go broke buying batteries for it. Or at least the one I had did. Go to GameStop and buy the WWE Brawl stick. Its brand new right now for $30 and a way better stick. Sure its got a bunch or roided up topless dudes on it. Just but a vinyl on it or change the artwork. But Its all sanwa and much nicer.

I have rechargeable batteries. I took it apart to see what's up with it. I might have to move the battery box to make room for the buttons. But I was wondering if I am going to do this. Can I just convert it to wired? I have plenty of usb's sitting round.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
You're better off looking for a Round 1 TE Fightstick. I found my TE for like 90 bucks. Unlike the SEs, they come with Sanwa, so you don't even need to mess with it to be set (If you're lazy lol). Also, the SE start and select buttons are irreplaceable and in my experiences they start to mess up easily, whereas you can easily get 2 smaller Sanwa buttons to replace them on the TE.

axeman87

Noob
Yeh, you can convert it to wired, but honestly mate its not worth stuffing around with IMO. I'd only go as far as putting in some new buttons as its so easy and cheap to do. As THTB said, the 25mm Sanwas will fit into the top 2 smaller holes, they'll just need a little help.

Not sure about you, but I play on X360 and have friends with PS3 so dual-mod is a big thing for me. For this reason alone I wouldn't invest too much time on the T6 stick as the PCB will only ever work on one format and it was merely a stepping stone to much better and dual PCB's.

Of course if you really love the T6 case, you can just gut the whole and start from scratch.

I figured out what I'm gonna to do, I traded him something for it. So I am going to gut it. Then use a cigar box to make a hitbox with the parts. The buttons don't lag at all on it. But I have came across another question. How do you tell what size the buttons are? Because I need to buy five more buttons to do this. Is it the diameter of the hole the button goes into, or the diameter of the button itself?

axeman87

Noob
How do you tell what size the buttons are? Because I need to buy five more buttons to do this. Is it the diameter of the hole the button goes into, or the diameter of the button itself?
There's a few options for buttons... Happ, Crown, Sanwa, Seimitsu... so it depends. Mostly you'll be looking at 2 sizes. 1 for the play buttons and another smaller size for function buttons.

Sanwa and Seimitsu both have 30mm and 24mm holes for their buttons. Crown are 28mm, not sure about the smaller ones and I've never used Happ.

Personally, I think Sanwa are too sensitive and smooth. Crown are too rough for my liking and Seimitsu is in the middle and perfect for my tastes.

Most people go with 30mm Sanwa or Seimitsu for the play buttons with some smaller 24mm buttons for function/select.

For a hit box, its up to you. I've seen someone use 24mm for the U,L,R commands and use a larger 30mm for the D command, I'm guessing so their thumb can find the button a bit easier and keep their hand in the right position.

PS. When I put in Sanwas in the T6 the button hole was a little bit small, so I'm guessing the stock buttons in it were 28mm.

I ordered 24 mm clear smoke seimitsu for the f,d,b, and a 30mm for the jump. I just got a crafts box for the case. For the time being. Until I get used to it.