What's new

Tech - Stunt Double Tech: Meaty Shadow Kick Clone On Opponents Wakeup

First of all just wanna say I wanted to give this its own thread since its something I've just scrapped the surface of and has lots of chances to be expanded on this tech's specific application to certain characters/moves.

I've been playing with the idea of doing a meaty clone bf4 on my opponents wakeup to see what kind of pressure i can get.

against certain characters, it works quite well.

With proper timing, the following can happen:

a) they block, and get trapped by the meaty clone. you can choose to apply pressure. easy enough.

b) they reversal using a reversal move with armor that doesn't move them from position (i.e. sub's ice ground pound thing). the clone eats the armor and you can now punish for free. if its a reversal with slower startup, you can stand more in range of it since you will have time to block after you send out the clone. against quicker reversals of this type, you would have to stand slightly out of range of it.

c) they use a reversal that moves them forward (i.e. ferra/torr's tuck and tumble in viscous). the clone eats the first hit of armor and you can then stuff the rest of their reversal with like 11, 12 or f3.

this does not work against everyone/every reversal.

i could never get it to work on kun lao's ex spin, and i imagine against other reversals on the extreme end of the quick startup spectrum it also won't work.

this tech isn't just go for maintaining pressure, but also good for making certain reversals that were formally nonpunishable punishable. Again, using Ferra/Torr Tuck and Tumble as an example;

the move on block is i think around -6 (?) meaning Johnny doesn't have a move to punish it on block. However, if you do meaty clone, they reversal, it will eat the armor and you can immediately f3 and continue anyway you want. I'm sure there are similar applications for other reversals JC has a tough time using.

This is great to use in the rare situation you aren't ending your combos in nutpunch (i.e. if you wanted to do a combo that has more corner carry potential) since against certain characters it gives you the ability to continue your pressure at literally 0 risk and go right back into 50/50s after a knockdown, or after stray hits that end in knockdown.

I'll try and post some videos soon, but just wanted to get the ball rolling. I'll do some tests later to see exactly who/what moves this is optimal for.

also i should mention the timing on this can be sensitive, and does require some practice. failure in timing means getting blown up by the reversal. obviously you want to be getting the clone bf4 in as early as possible so you have the most time to block and recognize what your opponent did