What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Tanya Tanya Matchups: Good, Bad, or Even?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Pretty simple, post whether you think a MU is good, bad or even and hopefully why. There isn't any point in arguing specific numbers just yet but I am interested to see where some Tanya mains stand on certain MUs. Post your thoughts below and be sure to mention which variation you are talking about!

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I have trouble as Pyro Tanya against

Kitana (all)
Her zoning and air control beat out Tanya's. You can play a more reactionary style, but you lose the meter build necessary for her combos. Kitana also out-damages her. Royal storm is probably her toughest MU. Mournful is bad, but more easily dealt with. Using dust effectively in this MU is a must. She can zone slightly more effectively in this MU. Learning when to poke is also important. Assassin is bad for the reasons that royal storm is, although I haven't had as much experience in this MU.

Kenshi(balanced)
He outzones her and his armour is scary. Dust loses it's effectiveness if he has a bar since he can either break your armour with bf2(ex) or db1(ex) the first of which is safe and the second of which launches for full combo. He also anti-airs her very well and tele flurry catching jumps is really good in this MU. Tanya has to make the approaches and she risks getting blown up for doing so.

KL(Tempest)
KL's air control and his ability to pressure Tanya up close make this match up frightening. He controls too much space on the screen and ex spin eats through so much of what Tanya wants to do.

I think she definitely has the advantage against:

Jacqui(all)
Hand canon isn't really good in this MU since she can bait with tele and punish with fireball. Tanya jumping at Jacqui is essentially a mix up because if she teles back up rocket will whiff and Tanya can punish with fireball. Jacqui has to respect Tanya's wakeups and her armour in general while Tanya has nothing to fear from Jacqui's. Drill kick goes under df2 so can be used as a grounded punish against gun when neutral ducked. Full auto isn't completely helpless in this MU however because her up close pressure, her 50/50s and damage are better than Tanya's. She just has to work much harder than Tanya.

If not in full auto, this MU gets even worse. Jacqui has no way to knock Tanya out of the sky short of YOLO run in and attempt to make fireball whiff (which can be baited and punished). If she does catch Tanya best she gets is b2~bf4 because she had to use all her stamina to actually get in. Up close Jacqui loses that game too thanks to Tanya's better armour and better pressure tools.

Cassie (brawler/Spec Ops)
Her run away game is still super annoying for Cassie to deal with, even post tele nerfs. Although Spec OPs can place missiles on the screen, unless it's ex Cassie has to respect Tanya's superior mobility. Even ex missile poses a risk as Tanya can armour through with a 50/50 if the Cassie player isn't being careful. Cassie can anti-air Tanya from up close, and in brawler her j3~grab is pretty strong, but from midscreen back, Tanya pretty much owns the sky. Maybe I need more experience in this MU, but I feel that Tanya just does better overall. I don't think this is terrible, but not in Cassie's favour.

EDIT:

Elaborated more.

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

I'll start. Im only doing MUs I have extensive experience in. This is all for Kobu Jutsu.

Reptile(All variations): Good
Tanya still outdamages him even after the patch. He has 50/50s but once you realize the low option leads to less damage his combo opportunities dwindle. His armor moves are all punishable meaning his wakeup game is bad. You can oki him without much fear usually, maybe occassionally bait out an EX slide. Its not unwinnable for him but its an uphill battle I think.

Quan Chi(Summoner): Even
This match really just depends on who gets things started first. He has absolutely no answer to Rekka pressure and you get to oki him for free. The flip side is that if he gets things started first the same applies to him: his vortex nullifies wakeups, and even though you can armor through the 2nd hit of EX rune his comeback potential and vortex more than make up for it. Both characters have similar footsie games although Quan whiff punishes way harder. His zoning isnt as problematic because you can throw an EX Tonfa and any trade means you get to pressure him. This match really comes down to who can start their offense first.

Kung Jin(Bojitsu): Bad
Kung Jin outfootsies her because of the range on most of his normals. He controls the air and shuts down teleports completely. He has good wakeups to make you think twice about oki, he can stuff your wakeups, he has great armor to armor through gaps and delayed rekkas, and his damage is a little bit better than Tanya's. Her zoning is a bit better in this MU but it isnt going to win matches lol. I don't think it is an impossible MU by any stretch but I feel KJ has all the tools needed to make Kobu's pressure game not as scary.

Kung Jin(Ancestral): Even
Same as above except he does less damage and loses the great armor moves. Definitely a whole lot better than Bojitsu.

Kotal Khan(War God): Good(maybe even)
Kotal has a little bit better footsies due to his range. He has one of the best moves to armor through gaps(EX OH Sword) which means he can punish you for trying to delay the rekka really hard. However she can do the same thing to him and EX Rekka through most of his pressure(avoids the 50/50s) although she admittedly doesnt get nearly as much for it. Her pressure is also a little better in this MU because EX Tonfa does not whiff on him, meaning she can spend a bar to jail him into more pressure. I think the one thing that pushes this MU into good territory is most of his specials/wakeups/reversals are unsafe, meaning she can punish for big damage. Her EX rekka is safe, meaning she can go through his pressure or wakeup and not have to worry about him punishing her. He also had really bad AA so you can get away with teleporting a little more then usual.

Im sure these will change over time but thats my feeling for those MUs atm.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
I am really not having as much trouble post-nerf as many others seem to be, but I'm also not playing at a very high level.

Zoidberg747

Some more MUS, all Kobu still:

Dvorah(Swarm Queen): Even

The biggest two factors in this MU to me is the fact that Dvorah's damage output is great and that Dvorah also has no wakeups. Dvorahs pressure is obviously really good(although you can blow up a lot of her run cancels with EX rekka, all except f112 in fact) so she is going to want to get in at all times. Tanya also wants to go in because swarm vortex trades with any zoning attempt and the EX tonfa trade isnt even in our favor. I also think Dvorahs footsies are way better with her f22, low pokes and d2 to make sure you cant jump on her. What makes this even though is the fact that she has no wakeups and her armored reversal gets her a measly 12% into a knockdown. I'd almost say this MU was good but with her damage the comeback factor is too big to ignore.

Dvorah(Venemous): Good

Same as SQ except she loses the damage. You still have to be careful because her footsies are still better and her footsies do DoT. She also has some differences like all her combos ending in restands(mostly) and she will almost always have meter to break. The key to winning this MU is the same as above. You also should know that you can punish spray every time by mashing rekka, giving you free pressure anytime she tries to use spray.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I always thought Mileena did well against Tanya even pre-patch, now I think it's either even or in Mileena's favor.

I'd say Mileena beats her in Pyro and it's even in Kobu. Mileena can keep her out of the air with AA roll, telekick, air sai and now NJP, but Mileena has a tought time against pressure characters mostly, that's why I think it's even.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
For Pyro, I agree with everything @Pan1cMode said word for word.

Bad MU wise I've also had some issues with Scorpion that I never have with Jacqui and issues with MoS Ermac that I never had with Kano, so I'm inclined to think they aren't too great at the moment.

Advantage side I'd toss in GM Sub-Zero and Covert Ops Sonya as well. I've had incredible success in these MU's where I used to struggle with other characters.

Zoidberg747

I always thought Mileena did well against Tanya even pre-patch, now I think it's either even or in Mileena's favor.

I'd say Mileena beats her in Pyro and it's even in Kobu. Mileena can keep her out of the air with AA roll, telekick, air sai and now NJP, but Mileena has a tought time against pressure characters mostly, that's why I think it's even.
There isnt much of a reason Kobu Tanya needs to be going into the air. I think its good for Tanya because in order to armor through anything Mileena is taking a huge risk(The Mils I face usually try and armor with EX Roll, don't know if she has a better one). Mileena also has a sub par wakeup game. Tanya's pressure does wonders in this MU and to make things better EX Tonfa works on Mil consistently which adds a whole new layer to the pressure. There about even in footsies I think.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
There isnt much of a reason Kobu Tanya needs to be going into the air. I think its good for Tanya because in order to armor through anything Mileena is taking a huge risk(The Mils I face usually try and armor with EX Roll, don't know if she has a better one). Mileena also has a sub par wakeup game. Tanya's pressure does wonders in this MU and to make things better EX Tonfa works on Mil consistently which adds a whole new layer to the pressure. There about even in footsies I think.
I could agree with it being in Tanya's favor, I need to play the MU more, but the thing is that Mileena can armor for good damage into oki. Of course if Mileena gets predictable with her armor it's going to be easy as hell to block her, but she also has a low that leads to good damage and a 8F normal that gives her a mix-up, once you start respecting my armor I can do more than just EX roll.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Ex tonfa does not work very well on Mileena and she can punish you for doing it. Also, Piercing outzones Kobu Jutsu with low sais which avoids tonfa toss and instant air sai's keeping Tanya grounded. Mileena can play her game and build meter for ex rolls and ex teleports. Not saying Mileena wins the MU, but on the surface, she does appear to have an advantage. When Tanya gets in, things get alot better for her, but Mileena has an armored launcher, so prolonged pressure could be risky.