What's new

Question SubZero Match Questions

1) How do you deal with Kung Luo Teleport?

2 ) How do you deal with Raiden Teleport?

3) If someone is in ion you and you can not clone away, how do you escape?

4) If you have someone frozen from ice ball, whats the best combo to do from there?

iMLGzus

Venom Addict/Space Pope
1) Clone, then stay in front of it.

2) See #1

3) Block until a string pushes you far enough to clone, or try to sneak in a throw or D1/D3

4) From a close freeze: Neutral Jump Punch, dash, 1, dash, B1 2, 2 1 2, slide.
Medium distance: jump-in 2, 2 1 4, slide
Far: dash to medium range, medium combo.
Corner: Neutral jump punch, Neutral jump punch, B1 2, 2 1 4, slide

iMLGzus

Venom Addict/Space Pope
Do you mean 214 slide?
I usually use 212 slide, just because the 4 tends to whiff a lot mid screen, but in the corner I may be wrong and the 4 may hit. If 214 slide works for you in the corner, than by all means use it.

Edit: 214 will work in the corner, combo has been updated. Thanks, Kikuichimonji.

well, if ice clone is a good option for kungs teleport, it should be a good option for every move in the game, you just have to throw it and get in the desired position to deal with the move youre expection.

seriously now, if you managed to induce kung to teleport, do BP xx Iceball as soon as kung shows up behind you. its not hard to do it if you are just waiting for it. But its hard if you are holding block to deal with anything else, coz theres a few frames of "unblocking" before beeing able to attack. I dont have much experience playing the game, have had not enough oportunities to try and see if the "unblocking" frames can be canceled by a attack, seens like it cant.

Im having problems with kung lao but the teleport is lesser a problem than a solution to me, its the only time i can manage to do some damage. The other opening I can get is to EX iceball him as soon as he throws a hat, but you have to be way way fast on that, its more prediction than reaction actually, and obviously if the only thing u can to do beat someone needs prediction AND meter, isnt that realiable for solid playing. Cant jump out of nowhere to land something due his amazing antiairs. Cant jump the hat on reaction, its recorver is INSANE plus that you wont want to play against kung lao from the jump's range, hes really good there.

Im really out of ideas for beating kunglao with subzero. I have to play like 500x better than the other guy, to force him to do ridiculous mistakes in order to deliver some damage.

If the guy is good enough to dont need the Xray to antiair (aka a non retarded player with enough skill to do the normal spin on sub's jump) you will have even less oportunities to damage him, due subzero's nightmare; the breaker.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I have to play like 500x better than the other guy, to force him to do ridiculous mistakes in order to deliver some damage.
Welcome to the life of a Subzero player. Hes a really great character, but hes not easy to play, and hes not a pick up and win character like Kung Lao. Sub is all about setups,baits and mindgames. There are times when Im like ughhh fuck Sub and I want to pick up an easier to win with character like Kung or Raiden, but Im stickin with Sub no matter what.

AC1984

Kaballin!
Lao is not an easy to play character....He's like kabal in UMK3...looks attractive to use but if not used properly does tons of stupid shit that gets punished.

Lao is not an easy to play character....He's like kabal in UMK3...looks attractive to use but if not used properly does tons of stupid shit that gets punished.
beeing easy or not isnt the point, were talking about beeing stronger than the rest (in this case stronger than sub). We have to consider if he have advantage when used perfectly against another char that is beeing used perfectly aswell. Obviously its too early in the game to start pointing fingers, but if i had to bet, Id say kung will still take it free against subzero six months in the future, if the game doesnt get patched.

Im just playing with him (kung) since yesterday and its ridiculous how much safe options he have to deal huge damage w/o xray (this way having tons of meter for breakers), and how ambiguous his pressure is. And his zonning is topclass aswell, due the low recover time of his projectile. Seens like I just sold an old truck (subzero) in order to drive a superbike.

KingKuma

Noob
Anyone have any tips for the Raiden/Kung Lao matchup?

I got my butt handed to me by a good Raiden online today. I was trying to punish his teleport with an uppercut but that was kind of hard.

Kung Lao spin is just really hard to punish...

ninjay

Noob
Ice clone is an amazing tool against any teleport rushdown character IMO. Proper use of the clone completely negates your opponents options to close in on you and forces them to either zone or attack you from the front. Sub may not have very fast normals, but his 2,2,4 is safe and you can throw out another ice clone to keep the pressure on them. You won't find a lot of high level play online, so this has worked real well for me online. I would be interested in learning more from my fellow icemen on how to use him at a competitive level.

Ways to deal with Scorpion wakeup Enhanced Teleport - this move gives Scorpion advantage on block and has wakeup invulnerability. The first hit whiffs on crouchers, but the second hit hits crouching opponents. If you just block this Scorpion can convert your attempts at wakeup offense into damage or mixups for him. However, you have a few ways to punish him for this on reaction or anticipation.

• Uppercut him out of it in between the two hits: this is very practical and can be done on reaction even if you're crouch blocking before you see the teleport. At the very least, you should be doing this. In the corner, you can connect d4 xx slide or d4 xray at the end.
  • Xray him - you will probably get hit by the second hit of the teleport but the xray is guaranteed and simple.
  • Do a clone, after he switches sides but before the first hit comes out. This is only practical if you are standing, but you can be blocking and still have enough time. You will get a 26-ish % damage combo for this.
  • After a sweep or slide in any combo, hold straight up and do neutral jump punch. If he wakeup teleports, you can hit him with njp if you delay it as long as possible. However, if your timing is off at all, he will hit you instead. This is a high risk choice, but on the other hand if he does a wakeup sweep kick-thing instead of a teleport the sweep will whiff and you get a combo anyway. I think if he does a wakeup Xray you'll get hit though.
  • Ducking the first hit and doing a hit-confirm into a combo is not practical, I have tried to find the timing for this and I got it once out of like 20 times.
Kung Lao spin is just really hard to punish...
If you stand block it you get a dash 22 freeze. If you crouch block it you get just a slide or an xray. You can space yourself so that if he wakeup normal spins it will whiff but your on-reaction 22 will hit so you can punish him really easily.