What's new

Stupid Trap

Not to discredit Brady's "stupid trap," but is this tactic actually useful competitively against good players, or is it just something that works only on newer players? And if it IS useful against good players, should a Shang Tsung player use this stupid trap as his primary tactic?

We all know that Shang Tsung is played best when keeping the opponent at a distance, but does anybody know anything more specific about how an elite Shang should be played?

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Not to discredit Brady's "stupid trap," but is this tactic actually useful competitively against good players, or is it just something that works only on newer players? And if it IS useful against good players, should a Shang Tsung player use this stupid trap as his primary tactic?

We all know that Shang Tsung is played best when keeping the opponent at a distance, but does anybody know anything more specific about how an elite Shang should be played?
I honestly use the stupid trap more then canceling my strings with soul steal, it leaves you in + frames on every ending string, leaving Shang Tsung to rush down. (For example, 221 ground skull, D+3, 22B+4 as a mix up) It should depend on your playstyle how you use the stupid trap.

"We all know that Shang Tsung is played best when keeping the opponent at a distance, but does anybody know anything more specific about how an elite Shang should be played? "

I like zoning with Shang Tsung, obviously since that's his main play style. But do not take his rushdown ability for granted. Certain match-ups do not allow Shang to zone, and thus he is kinda forced to rush down. (Off the top of my head, Raiden, Noob, Smoke, Ermac, and Kung Lao) You also need to learn basic bnbs of all the characters in this game to be a "good" Shang (Imo). If you do a move right off the bat from soul steal, you can do 4-8 moves before you morph back.

Luxus Nights

Beyond Good & Evil
Naw its useless when you fight some one that knows about it, and how to punish it, I only saw success the1st week with it then my opp figured it out, and you will never catch me use it against smart competition. Now against players who don't know or in brady's words stupid, I go for the trap.

Rabid Justice

Your Soul Is Mine
It has its uses but there are ways around it. It forces you opponent to make a decision. Stand and block give Shang a free 50/50. If they jump they will be hit by a fire ball 16% or more unbreakable and resets. If they wake up and Shang blocks usably get free combo of choice. Don’t forget Shang can also just move the screen and continue presser as he pleases. He calls it a stupid trap because of how simple yet effective it is when used right.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I found this trap forever ago... it used to work anywhere on the screen and be a block infinite that when the skull hit, you would get a 50% combo lol

I'm glad it's just a "stupid trap" now instead of an unbeatable tactic.

d1~u4 all day