What's new

Tech - Summoner Stuffing Opponent's Armour/Punish Attempts

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
As many Quan mains are aware now, Quan has a few holes which can be armored out of. The two most important ones that come to mind are B32xxRune/MbRune and MbRune,B2. These gaps are usually armor punishable but with the use of Puggles they can be made not only safe, but if the opponent tries to armor like they usually would you get a full combo into vortex or zoning.

The first example I will be showing is B32xxMbRune. When Reptile tries to reversal ExSlide between the 2 and the MbRune Quan would usually get punished. Same with most of the armor moves in the game and a lot of those lead to a full combo. When Puggles is out this means that Quan can go for the low option into MbRune and never be punished, allowing a safe 50/50. The armor will still be stuffed with the normal Rune but I couldn't get a combo from it.

Note that it seems doing the low swipe breaks armor more consistently when using the non-MbRune but the timing is trickier.

Next, Quan would also usually be punished for trying to do an overhead B2 after a MbRune, on a read, by armor. This can also be negated by sending in a LowPugglesSwoop to hit just after the MbRune. As I discussed in my last thread this can set up hard-to-blockables or another F212xxWhatever for meter building and chip, but here it is used to plug a hole which would usually be punishable.

Finally, there are a few good punishers, Reptile's slide and Tempest's Spin come to mind, who could just wait out the entire blockstring then punish the 141 or 14xxRune ender with their respective moves. But this is where the guessing/reads come in. This video demonstrates that if you can make the opponent respect your 50/50's and not armor out with Puggles, as I previously shown, you can save Puggles till the end of the blockstring and make whatever ender you choose safe. Also if you hit them you can use the bat to get an extra chunk of damage. Also if they do mash the punish expecting to get a free combo you just block and get a free combo.

These have been tested with Lao's Spin and Reptile Slide and work consistently when you get the timing down. This won't even come into play when versing most people online, but hopefully this'll help those at higher level who always get their shit armored out of and to stop those Pesky Paos with their 1 frame spin. :DOGE

@legion666
@STB Shujinkydink
@Insuperable
@macro
@Under_The_Mayo
@PND_Ketchup
@Quan Mains

Last edited: