What's new

Streaming Videos Might Land You In Jail..?

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
jesse89202 said:
Sorry...

This site is temporarily closed for maintenance or backups.

Normal operation will resume as soon as possible, probably within 20 to 30 minutes.

Please note that these web sites are typically down for maintenance between 1:15 and 1:30AM PST each day

Well, it's been 20-30 minutes and.....Magic! It's back up!

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Having taken law courses in multimedia, I see where all this is coming from. It might be a (very) unpopular decision, but copyright holders have every right to shut down live streams and YouTube uploads that you did not completely create. Although we may mean no harm by a simple video game review or tournament stream, we are still uploading and displaying a copyrighted work which we had no part in physically creating.

It's the same thing as TV/DVD/VHS. Ever read the FBI warnings at the beginning of video tapes? They basically state the work cannot be publicly broadcast (without permission.) Sadly, I see this bill (or some mutation of it) being passed.

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
DCIguy said:
Having taken law courses in multimedia, I see where all this is coming from. It might be a (very) unpopular decision, but copyright holders have every right to shut down live streams and YouTube uploads that you did not completely create. Although we may mean no harm by a simple video game review or tournament stream, we are still uploading and displaying a copyrighted work which we had no part in physically creating.

It's the same thing as TV/DVD/VHS. Ever read the FBI warnings at the beginning of video tapes? They basically state the work cannot be publicly broadcast (without permission.) Sadly, I see this bill (or some mutation of it) being passed.

True...true.

btbb99

Noob
ZAQ said:
Here's to hoping copyright holders universally agree to allowing streaming/vids of their property so there isn't a problem.

You already can't make money off of them on sites like Youtube.

America is desperate as fuck for jobs IMO. May as well ban gamer culture you fucking cunts.
exactly, if people ain't making money on it what's the harm? if they did this it would hurt the video game industry hard, no stream to watch during a big tournament or even videos to watch on youtube would be really, really bad

Tim Static

Adminerator
I think there is a huge difference in streaming something (giving the game to be seen and obviously sell more copies) and distributing illegal copies of the game.

People like Victor (Spooky) let us see tourney matches, like its a SPORT. He doesnt provide anyone and everyone with a bootleg copy of the games they show.

cunts they are.

btbb99

Noob
ZAQ said:
Gaming in general still doesn't get the respect it deserves. It makes more money than any other form of entertainment for a reason (it is EVERY FORM OF ENTERTAINMENT IN ONE!). Yet people have no respect for it because it is "a game" and that's what nerds do. So yeah, fuck'em, destroy a huge part of their culture.

Well I can't fucking wait until all of the old bastards that feel that way die off and our generation takes it for what its worth and the world will finally realize that it is the most advanced form of competition that has ever been available to man (without killing anyone) that has literally pushed the limits of our most advanced and useful tool ever created, computers.

I think this shit could pass but I don't think anyone will ever really benefit from it and I think that the only people that it will ever be enforced upon is a few 'random' individuals TO MAKE A POINT.

It's one of those stupid fucking laws that will be forgotten shortly after it is made and will be brought up as a technicality when someone really needs to censor someone that is getting too much attention that someone else doesn't like.

With things like this, even if a company (lets say NetherRealm for an example) says that they will allow everyone to stream gameplay of Mortal Kombat, you will legally be allowed to. But the platform you use (say Youtube or justin.tv for an example) will be "compelled" to remove it A.S.A.P. (or if they want to; I'm not saying they always will, I'm saying they can) and then check to see if there are any exceptions. A lot of the time things like this are permanent (as any asshole youtube moderator will tell you).

There is almost no possible way that they can enforce it aside from censorship through the platforms. How are they going to ban a stream from a hotel of a game and arrest the person streaming? It's almost impossible and all it does is make people criminals for sharing the things they enjoy and fucks over the streaming sites who rely on the content.

I'm just god damned sick and tired of people making laws for every little lame thing. Arrest him, he's giving me free publicity!

Agreed 100%, how silly would it be if ed boon had phil(9.95),shock, and tim static arrested because they were showing the world they love his games by streaming tournaments lol... whoever comes up with this stuff needs to get a life

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Quite honestly, what made me buy a bunch of Blurays and a nice TV was the fact that I was tired of watching shitty quality videos for free. lol