What's new

Strategy against Kung lao/smoke?

deegs

Noob
Just wanting to see if any of you have some tips for fighting these two. When a Kung lao player is going full pressure I can't seem to find an opening to attack. They're usually in front of me going for that 1,2,1+spin followed by jump crossup and I can't really attack at all it feels like I'm in an endless block string and all the normals I try to pull off just get beaten by the 1,2,1 or a spin and if I jump I get dive kicked.

Same with smoke his 3,down2,1 into crossup back into 3,down2,1 I can't do any normals or ground balls that seem good enough to counter and if I jump I just get jump kicked+grabbed or teleported.

Also having trouble with mileena...
:taz:

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
I'm not 100% sure of Shang's punishment options, but at the very least you can dash up and throw to punish spin. So if they do 1,2,1+spin you can get out right there. Second if you predict a jumping crossup you can uppercut or if you want to be safer do a ducking jab, both will get them off of you. If they start seeing you punish spin with regularity they'll start ending their blockstrings before the spin, and then you can do a low poke to get frame advantage and start your pressure.

Unless this is online. Online spin is safe and you're fucked.

deegs

Noob
what that sucks i didnt know its unpunishable online..

ill keep trying to figure something out, I am lookin hella free right now against these two though

Luxus Nights

Beyond Good & Evil
I'm not 100% sure of Shang's punishment options, but at the very least you can dash up and throw to punish spin. So if they do 1,2,1+spin you can get out right there. Second if you predict a jumping crossup you can uppercut or if you want to be safer do a ducking jab, both will get them off of you. If they start seeing you punish spin with regularity they'll start ending their blockstrings before the spin, and then you can do a low poke to get frame advantage and start your pressure.

Unless this is online. Online spin is safe and you're fucked.
I don't think shangs uppercut is fast enough.

JagoMIH

Noob
ermac is real good at punishing kung lao's spin with his lift, other chars have moves that can punish it too, like sub's slide, barakas df2, nightwolf's shoulder, cage's shadow kick, etc...there's probably better punishers offline, but these are good if you're playing online

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
ermac is real good at punishing kung lao's spin with his lift, other chars have moves that can punish it too, like sub's slide, barakas df2, nightwolf's shoulder, cage's shadow kick, etc...there's probably better punishers offline, but these are good if you're playing online
I think everybody is trying to find ways on how Shang can punish it. I'm sure everybody is aware that Reptile gets elbow, NW gets shoulder, Cage gets shadow kick, etc;)