What's new

Story Mode of MK 9

I like story mode and I do care about the story of MK since its one of the few that do a good job of letting you know about the characters and reason for all the fighting. I enjoyed playing story mode especially since most characters had a chapter you would fight with them and learn their motivations and back story. I liked old sub becoming Noob, Scorpion and Sub Zero's rivalry, Mileena being cloned from Kitana, Kabal's story of how he became that weird mask guy, and how Sektor and Cyrax were orginally Lin Kuei humans before robots.

I didn't like that Raiden killed Lui Kang on accident (wtf?) and Kung dies just because Kahn was mad he beat (not killed) the so called deadly alliance. Sindel manages to kill Jax, Smoke, Jade, Kitana, most likely Kabal, maybe Cyber Sub, maybe stryker, and forces Nightwolf to sacrafice both of them in a matter of 20 seconds is really lame. There are other plot holes but I'm not trying to complain I'm just suprised at what took place. I just hope this doesn't mean that since certain characters died they won't be in the next game like UMK3 and trilogy (non canon) into MK4.

Neclord

Kombatant
I like story mode and I do care about the story of MK since its one of the few that do a good job of letting you know about the characters and reason for all the fighting. I enjoyed playing story mode especially since most characters had a chapter you would fight with them and learn their motivations and back story. I liked old sub becoming Noob, Scorpion and Sub Zero's rivalry, Mileena being cloned from Kitana, Kabal's story of how he became that weird mask guy, and how Sektor and Cyrax were orginally Lin Kuei humans before robots.

I didn't like that Raiden killed Lui Kang on accident (wtf?) and Kung dies just because Kahn was mad he beat (not killed) the so called deadly alliance. Sindel manages to kill Jax, Smoke, Jade, Kitana, most likely Kabal, maybe Cyber Sub, maybe stryker, and forces Nightwolf to sacrafice both of them in a matter of 20 seconds is really lame. There are other plot holes but I'm not trying to complain I'm just suprised at what took place. I just hope this doesn't mean that since certain characters died they won't be in the next game like UMK3 and trilogy (non canon) into MK4.
I thought the same.
The story mode was fine overall, it's just like you said, the part with Sindel and Raiden at the end was really uhmm.. weird.
But a part of me liked it how Sindel kicks ass in that scene. :D

But anyway, I don't think they will kill all these characters, because remember: No one stays really dead in MK. And that's good imo, because they just can't kill characters like Smoke, Kitana, Sindel or Kabal. There are too many fans out there, who would really rage hard. MK9 was such a good start, if MK10 will only have like 6 or 7 characters of the MK9 cast and the rest are new characters, then the game will not have as much success as MK9 had.

Zebster

How's my volume?
MK10 cast will be the surviving characters from MK9 + MK4 characters +[/ spectre versions of the fallen characters under Quan Chi's control. /speculation
As for Liu Kang's death, it was unexpected, but that fool should've had more faith in Raiden. (plus he shouldn't have inflamed his fist, should've known better. All it took was one zap to cause the fire to travel with the electricity all over his body).
To me, Sindel's power was understandable. In the original story, she never gained Shang Tsung's power/soul, but was still very strong, so coupling that with Shang Tsung's power made that scene make sense. Also, the real hero of the story was Nightwolf. Spirits are OP. :p

Hemlock

Dojo Trainee
Reviving this super duper old thread because I just beat story mode for the first time and I just need to blab about how awesome it was.

gdf

Kombatant
Usually I am that uptight jerk about old threads, but I believe you are totally in the right for this one.

Isn't the ending just beast? How it sets up for the next game. As soon as I finished it, I felt like, "Damn, when does the next one come out?"

Hemlock

Dojo Trainee
I just beat it and am so amped up and there is nobody here to high five or listen to me excitedly talk. and I don't know anybody to call who will care or is awake at this hour!!!! I need to share the joy!

The ending was a total jaw dropper! Quan Chi was definitely the most conniving jerk. He was so sneaky and controlling and evil.

Shao Kahn was drunk with power.

Shang Tsung was selfish and single-minded in his quest for souls.

I liked the Kitana/Liu thing there. Johnny was hilarious, as usual. Nightwolf brought the heat at the end.

Cyber Sub Zero turned out to be a champ, and clever.

Reactions: gdf

Hemlock

Dojo Trainee
I like it. She had some serious rage mode. Shao Kahn infused her with power from Shang Tsung though... that's how she did it.

FCP/EMP SCAR

Warrior
Just to clear things up i dont think raiden exactly killed liu kang, just burned him badly to wear he passed out and couldnt get involved in the final fight, hahah new char in mk10? KUH KANG??? lol

Hemlock

Dojo Trainee
Liu: AHHHHH MY FACE! I'M HIDEOUS!
Kabal: I know a guy....he can hook you up.
Freddy: Scars are cool.

I was waiting for the Goro/Kintaro/Sheeva love triangle sub-plot

Ermac was thoroughly obnoxious in story mode.
Soulnado was intriguing.

NKZero

Warrior
I really enjoyed the contrast between Cyrax and Sektor. Scorpion changed from a vengeance seeker to Quan Chi's lap dog. Smoke was the dumbest character by a country mile. Reptile, Baraka and Sheeva served as excellent punching bags and nothing more. Very good story mode overall though. I've played it like 4 times already...

I liked the story in this one. Nightwolf was so awesome lol. I think liu will get revived (well I hope so at least, don't think raiden will just let him crisp like that.) And I hope some new form of deadly alliance happens again

NKZero

Warrior
...why?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Lol I enjoyed it that much. Well i've legitimately played it twice. Then ran through it with my cousin once. Then my save deleted so to unlock Cyber Sub and Quan Chi again I played it.

Hemlock

Dojo Trainee
Nightwolf was all like, "Hey babies, stop crying, I just showed up well-rested while the rest of you have been fighting for the past 48 hours, check out my spirit daggers, let's go kill the bad guys."

Quan Chi was all like, "Sorry, I was too busy going MUHAHAHAHAHA to hear you, what'd you say?"

Raiden was all like, "Oh my bad, THIS is the vision that we have to follow. *amulet cracks* Oh my bad, no THIS is the vision we have to follow."

Scorpion was all like, "I'm going to kill you, Sub Zero!" and then Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub Zero, Tundra and Bi-Han were all like, "Who, me?"

Cyber Sub Zero was all like, "Hey look at me, I'm a robot" and Sektor was all like, "STFU you're not a robot" and Cyber Sub Zero was all like, "If I wasn't a robot, why would I wear this hat?"

Espio

Kokomo
...why?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Not directed at me...but I've beaten it 4 or 5 times, it's fun lol.

I also watch movies multiple times and look for little subtle hints I missed the first time, it's amazing little things we miss.

Plus I had a blast laughing at the dialogue of Stryker and Jade's trolling and swag.

Cage and Sonya were both hilarious and fierce in their own ways.

I loved Sheeva and Sindel.

The MK mythos is fun...even if a lot of stuff got omitted and/or butchered in some respects lol.

Hemlock

Dojo Trainee
Not directed at me...but I've beaten it 4 or 5 times, it's fun lol.

I also watch movies multiple times and look for little subtle hints I missed the first time, it's amazing little things we miss.

Plus I had a blast laughing at the dialogue of Stryker and Jade's trolling and swag.

Cage and Sonya were both hilarious and fierce in their own ways.

I loved Sheeva and Sindel.

The MK mythos is fun...even if a lot of stuff got omitted and/or butchered in some respects lol.
Jade was hillllarious. She made me laugh out loud with some of her little comebacks. Sheeva: "No one is allowed in here!" Jade: "and yet I am here."

I need to play through it again and record it so I can make a hilarious moments highlight reel. Like Raiden's Electric Fly in the background!

Much respect to Cage for everything he survived, including 3 beatdowns by good guys :)

Well, on topic of doing things multiple times I have played the Story mode through like 4 times aswell, lol.

Also have watched Watchmen atleast 8 times completely through.

I have too much time on my hands. :(

Hemlock

Dojo Trainee
Well, on topic of doing things multiple times I have played the Story mode through like 4 times aswell, lol.

Also have watched Watchmen atleast 8 times completely through.

I have too much time on my hands. :(
When it comes to pieces of art, I fully endorse multiple viewings. I listen to the same CDs, watch the same movies, play the same games again and again and again. You come to understand the little details and get to know it in a wonderful way. I hope I never get so burnt out on MK that I don't come back to it again and again.

Whoops, I've never seen Watchmen despite being a big fan of the graphic novel. My bad.