What's new

Stage Transitions...what if they could be used Defensively?

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Posting this before work so pardon if I rush this.

People are against stage transitions for two reasons.
1. They kill momentum since they take so long.
2. They end your corner pressure and you lose advantage because they put you on a new part of the stage seperated at midscreen forcing you to start over on closing the gap.

But what if at the cost of meter you could use stage transitions defensively? As is the guy on the offensive doesn't have a reason to really want to use them IMO unless it could possibly finish a combo for extra unscaled damage, but what if as a breaker-like sort of gimmick you could blow a ton of meter and use stage transitions as a counter to seperate your opponent. The only downside IMO is it nets guaranteed punishment damage which would make footsies weird as opponents would be wary of keeping corner pressure on if their opponent had meter.

Any thoughts on this or ideas on how to balance the idea?

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Alpha counter command grab that costs 2 meters and stage breaks from behind.

IDK.

But uh ya, not sure why you would ever want to do a stage transition unless it does hella unscaled damage, 2 meters and loss of position are a really steep price.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
It was just an idea since they wanted to come up with options to change the meta of fighters in the corner and I honestly don't really see stage tools doing it since they are scoutable and have startup. However, if I could end someone's frame traps, momentum, and alleviate that tense pressure that being cornered puts on me to separate us and net some damage I would.

I think the only reason to do one on offense would be for unscaled damage or if I felt I was super dominant in the matchup at a distance (like vs Grundy).

Something like this should not be doable on hit like a breaker though. It should only be doable as a counter IMO.

BTW does this game really not feature pushblocking? I haven't seen anyone use it if its there and that could be a BIG reason The Flash is so dominant with his fast startup/recovery and mobility. From anywhere on screen he can put you in blockstring and setup frametraps. Even mashers can pop pressure with his stuff its so fast.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
It was just an idea since they wanted to come up with options to change the meta of fighters in the corner and I honestly don't really see stage tools doing it since they are scoutable and have startup. However, if I could end someone's frame traps, momentum, and alleviate that tense pressure that being cornered puts on me to separate us and net some damage I would.

I think the only reason to do one on offense would be for unscaled damage or if I felt I was super dominant in the matchup at a distance (like vs Grundy).

Something like this should not be doable on hit like a breaker though. It should only be doable as a counter IMO.

BTW does this game really not feature pushblocking? I haven't seen anyone use it if its there and that could be a BIG reason The Flash is so dominant with his fast startup/recovery and mobility. From anywhere on screen he can put you in blockstring and setup frametraps. Even mashers can pop pressure with his stuff its so fast.
Doesn't seem too.

MK9 didn't.
Since you are not a MK player you have never witnessed the utter unbelievable bullshit that is Johnny Cage.
Normals doing chip + disgusting frame traps + no real defense other then super well timed counter pokes and jumping, make him a super fun character to fight.