What's new

Strategy - Kung Lao Stage choice matters for Lao more than most

Afro_physicist

Hat Trick
So when you throw out a hat and it hits your opponent, it will come back faster than if the opponent jumps over it. But, what also makes the hat come back faster is if the hat hits the end of the stage. On stages like the Kove, if the hat hits the ship it will come back as fast as if it hit the blocking opponent. On stages with an 'empty' corner like Quan Chi's fortress, the hat will go off screen and later come back. I'm sure the programmers set the respawn time for the hat to be dependent on the hat hitting something, so for long stages like dead woods there will be a much longer wait than small stages like the Kove.
I'm not really ready to heavily test this hypothesis but I noticed it when watching @A F0xy Grampa 's set in the pro qualifier cup. Will test this more when I get home later

RYX

BIG PUSHER
it's the same for most projectiles of that nature i think

chalk it up to another horrible decision in this game and hope NRS will fix it soon

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
I guess get used to training and request it at tourny? at least for now unless they fix it like Ryx is sayin'.

chalk it up to another horrible decision in this game and hope NRS will fix it soon
I actually think it is intended for the low hat to not come back immediately. They don't want it to be too good.

Afro_physicist

Hat Trick

Lol not trying to complain, just thought I'd report my findings to the community. You know, like a *physicist* does.... lol
I guess get used to training and request it at tourny? at least for now unless they fix it like Ryx is sayin'.
Yea I'm just trying to warn other Lao's from picking a stage that works against them

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Im a lao player I don't mind the low hat being that way. Would I like it to come back faster? ofc, but it is fine the way it is now.
Again, I didn't say anything about it coming back faster, but it should be set to one fixed standard like most projectiles unless there's reason for otherwise; setting it to, say, a middle-length stage to give you the most moderate recovery on the hat's return would be a fair trade off for what it offers

You think that's inconsistent try dealing with always having to get Ferra back on your back
two different characters but I agree, at least it doesn't get harder if you pick a certain stage though

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Again, I didn't say anything about it coming back faster, but it should be set to one fixed standard like most projectiles unless there's reason for otherwise; setting it to, say, a middle-length stage to give you the most moderate recovery on the hat's return would be a fair trade off for what it offers

two different characters but I agree, at least it doesn't get harder if you pick a certain stage though
hopefully not Im gonna have to test it out, but its not as big a deal anyway since we arent really doing bowl girls in the corner