• Tekken 6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SFxTekken

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Runiix

the only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta
Hello TYM.
Everytime im in doubt, i ask u guys a question and it seems to help a whole lot! (Thanks)

I have been playing MK9 for about ½ a year now, and i love so many things about it.
So looking over the forums i decided to buy SSF4, as it seemed like a big breath of fresh air. (and memories from when i spammed buttons on the gameboy with Blanka when i was 7)

When i just turn on my PS3, there are so many confusing things about this game. (being used to MK)
First of all the character select. Is this the same Rushdown/Zoner/Turtle etc. as in MK? Or should i just drop the "Fighter boxes" already?
Ive decided to practice on Adon - He seems to fit my playstyle and so far i like everything about him.
Is there any Adon players who got some general Tips? Moves not to use or moves to use often? Frame traps? Distance strat?

I have to know what the difference is in the 2 fighting styles u choose after picking your fighter and your fighter color? Is it the move list itself?

How do i use the meter? Should i save for a seperate attack? Can u combo into any super moves?
How does the meter work?

How do u read the move list?
In MK it is stragith forward: -> -> X ... To use teleport or w/e
But it shows with the analog stick? Is it best to fight with analog stick? I dont hope so, course i hate using that in fighting games.
Theres al kinds of zig zag arrows, and when i try to do a normal projectile with using DF2 as an example, it doesnt do anything.
The move list is confusing me very much.

What is up with combos in SF?
Im trying to watch some tournaments videos, but it doesnt help me much since i am a 100% noob to this game.
It doesnt seem like its anything close to MK or Tekken...
How do even launch your enemy, is every combo just specials put together? Or normals?
Do u ever use throw? It seems like it is only within like "kissing range" of your opponent, and do u ever have time to use the 2+4 charged attack?
Is blocking just as important in SF than in any other fighting game?

I searched google and youtube for some hours yesterday, and found some stuff to practice and i can also do a standard Jaguar kick and such now, but not much beyond that.
I watched some ultrachen videos, but he got 26 videos that last 1 hour each. Thats abit to much atm.
Anyone know a good thread anywhere that explains all of this?

If any of you got answers on this ^ - If u got some other tips, please do share with me it is much appreciated! The SSF4 game seems very entertaining, and i would like to learn more about it. And as i said, everything i know about MK i pretty much got from in here.
So i hope some of u guys got some good stuff for me.

Im very sorry if i come out like a "omg im gonna panic course i dunno this game after 2 hours of playing, and im only 12 years old, and i need to ask everyone how to play" newbie.
But im just looking for some answers to my questions, some clarification and some tips - Ill do all the reading if u guys can link some threads.
As i said, ive found loads of help and i love the community in here.
I dont know much about the whole fighting game language - so there may be some stuff u veterans say, i cant quite understand.

I hope everything makes sense!
Thanks a whole bunch TYM! : D

Runiix

Does this have any beginners help at all?
I really wanna get in on all the questions above before footsies, and reading the official SF forums, which i dont understand much of atm :)

Oh, man didn't know you were THAT new.

Essence of SF is based on Footsies is what I was told, you get that down, you get 90% SF, where you don't even have to know many links is what I was told by my local old school SF player.

You use meter by pressing 2 buttons of the special command. Like if a fireball uses LP, you do EX by pressing Light Punch/Medium Punch.

Runiix

Oh, man didn't know you were THAT new.

Essence of SF is based on Footsies is what I was told, you get that down, you get 90% SF, where you don't even have to know many links is what I was told by my local old school SF player.

You use meter by pressing 2 buttons of the special command. Like if a fireball uses LP, you do EX by pressing Light Punch/Medium Punch.
alright, clears abit up. cheers dude

CallMeTetris

draxx them sklounst
Can't help with Adon specifics unfortunately since I have little experience even playing against him, but I can try and help with some of your other questions.

I have to know what the difference is in the 2 fighting styles u choose after picking your fighter and your fighter color? Is it the move list itself?
That's just the ultra, it won't change any other parts of your move list. Your ultra meter is the semi-circle to the side of your super meter that fills up as you take damage. That meter is used only for your Ultra, no other uses like your super meter.

How do i use the meter? Should i save for a seperate attack? Can u combo into any super moves?
How does the meter work?
Most characters generally use meter for EX and FADCs, although using a Super isn't exactly a bad idea if you manage to save a full bar. I'm guessing you know about EX moves (basically comparable to enhanced moves in MK9, they modify a special's properties in some way). FADCs are pretty much used to cancel the recovery on a normal/special, I won't go into a ton of detail about them - I wouldn't worry too much about them if you're completely brand new to SF4.

As far as how meter works, you get it for pretty much anything except whiffing normals - getting hit, hitting the opponent, doing specials, having your attacks blocked, that sort of thing (I don't think you get it for blocking your opponent's attacks, but I'm not entirely sure, I haven't played much SF4 in quite a while).

How do u read the move list?
In MK it is stragith forward: -> -> X ... To use teleport or w/e
But it shows with the analog stick? Is it best to fight with analog stick? I dont hope so, course i hate using that in fighting games.
Theres al kinds of zig zag arrows, and when i try to do a normal projectile with using DF2 as an example, it doesnt do anything.
The move list is confusing me very much.
SF uses just a few motions for most special moves - quarter-circle, half-circle, DP motions (like Jaguar Kick), charge moves, and full circles/360. You shouldn't need to use a stick, D-pad works just fine. I'm not sure why you're having trouble with a DF/quarter-circle motion, unless you're just hitting down then forward - It's a rolling motion, roll your thumb from down to forward so you hit the diagonal in between.

What is up with combos in SF?
Im trying to watch some tournaments videos, but it doesnt help me much since i am a 100% noob to this game.
It doesnt seem like its anything close to MK or Tekken...
How do even launch your enemy, is every combo just specials put together? Or normals?
Do u ever use throw? It seems like it is only within like "kissing range" of your opponent, and do u ever have time to use the 2+4 charged attack?
Is blocking just as important in SF than in any other fighting game?
Combos in SF are much different from MK, they'll probably take a lot of getting used to if you don't have much prior experience with SF. Most normals are combo'd together with links, as opposed to the dial-a-combo in MK. That means that combos are much more timing based; you'll have to wait for your attack animation to finish before pressing the button for your next attack. I'd recommend just going into training mode with someone like Cody (his basic links always struck me as particularly easy, although that might just be because he's my main) and practice comboing his crouching LP into crouching LK. It might take a little bit, but just experiment with the timing a little til you feel comfortable with the basic idea of linking.

There's very little in terms of juggling/launching in SF4. Most characters have a special that knocks the opponent airborne that can be followed up for another hit with the use of an FADC, 0r can be followed up in other specific circumstances, but juggles and launchers are non-existent in basic BnBs. SF4 BnBs tend to follow a basic formula across most characters - hit-confirm off a couple crouching LPs or LKs, link into an MP or MK, and cancel that into a special.

As for throws, I can't really add on much more to what gamemk said. If you think it'll be successful, go for it. Go for tick-throws after conditioning your opponent with pressure strings, stuff like that.

Blocking is of course important, although it's "easier" in SF since there's less to worry about in terms of having your defense opened up. Very few characters can combo off of an overhead, and there's not air-dashes, double-jumps, triangle jumps, etc. like you'd have to worry about in a lot of other 2d fighters.

I think that's about all I can come up with for now, I'm not really good enough to be able to break it down to bare essentials or anything (and I'm not sure how much you need it broken down) , but I hope I can help out at least a little.

Runiix

wow, thank you so much for taking the time to write me all of that!
I went abit to practice and offline mode, and some stuff are beginning to make more sense now - but ofc i still need alot of practice.
If i ever need anything in the future about sf i guess ill PM u : )
CallMeTetris thanks!