What's new

Speedrunning and Fighting Games

Shade667

#StrongisthenewCute
Went back like 6 pages and didnt see anything similar, so apologies if there is.

Anyone else like speedrunning? And moreso, anyone else juggle their competitive fighting games, alongside trying to speedrun? Id like to here others experiences if thats the case.

I always liked watching speedruns, and ive started to enjoy competition more and more in these last few years. But ive certainly found it difficult to juggle both and be serious about both at the same time. Both require time and dedication, practice and alot of trial and error. Especially recently now that im competing offline, I feel like Ive got no time to speedrun at all.

Anyone else with a similar conundrum?

My speedrun profile if anyones interested in my history: http://www.speedrun.com/user/Shade667

big j gleez

Mains: Not Sure Right Now ...
Nice man. I did dabble in speed runs before. Did them for a little bit less than a year. It was fun. I have done Castlevania 2 and still hold the 8th time in the world (though it used to be higher). I also have done Zelda 2 and have done okay with that. It is super competitive once you get down to like the top 10 of any game. I considered doing fighting games but just hasnt peaked my interest.

If you have a passion for it, go for it man. I love speedrunning and love seeing games played at that kind of level with speed in mind. It is a different type of skill

Nausea

Soul Ascended
I used to have a few Perfect Dark XBLA world records and used to do 16 star SM64 runs on the NTSC version :) Loved Goldeneye, Wrong Warp/MST Ocarina of Time & also tried Turok 2:SoE.

I do miss speeding running Perfect Dark but the problem I find is getting a good pad that you can optimise the run speed. So mainly just FG's these days :'(

Shade667

#StrongisthenewCute
Love Souls and Bloodborn speed runs. Don't see the point of others though.
What do you mean? Souls games certainly arent the most speedrunnable games for sure. What differs them from other games in your opinion? Games with in game timers, in game leaderboards as well as level selection and save files lend themselves well for speedrunning.

Goldi

Noob
What do you mean? Souls games certainly arent the most speedrunnable games for sure. What differs them from other games in your opinion? Games with in game timers, in game leaderboards as well as level selection and save files lend themselves well for speedrunning.
Oh, because most of the games I play come off silly in speed runs. Animal crossing, harvest moon, ect, and yea people do those... Apologizes if it came off rude, thats just what came to mind first for speed racing.

Shade667

#StrongisthenewCute
Oh, because most of the games I play come off silly in speed runs. Animal crossing, harvest moon, ect, and yea people do those... Apologizes if it came off rude, thats just what came to mind first for speed racing.
Was just curious mostly about the statement saying you didnt see the point of running games other than the souls series, which on its own is peculiar to me. All good.

Shade667

#StrongisthenewCute
Also btw I didnt want to announce this earlier in case some pro player decides to take it from me but im about 7 seconds off taking world record in the traditional tower category of MKX. Ill likely get it today or tomorrow.

Goldi

Noob
Souls games are fun to watch on speedruns because pretty much everything in the game can one hit kill a low level character. In the interest of saving time players cannot level up and are forced to either pretty much never get touched or start over from the intro. It gets REALLY intense when you see a weak, noobly, doof looking character facing off against bosses 10x their size knowing death doesn't just mean try again (you get used to that lol) but do EVERYTHING again.

Other than that I've only stumbled onto oddball games getting speed ran, like make 300k catching beetles in least amount of time.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I watched speedruns of old NES games that I never beat and I realized what a failure I am as a human being. Also, Mega Man runs where they only use the basic weapon and don't ever get hit. Ggs. :(

JerQ_Q

Noob
Oh yea I do speedruns thanks for the tag @Youphemism

Current WR holder on MKX categories, ratchet gladiator co-op WR holder with my brother, Kingdom Hearts was also at one point the game i ran, bomberman tournament unofficial WR holder cos no1 runs that game but routed and played it several times too and then I have runned several FF games for short time but ended it. Now im actually waiting for the ff xii zodiac age and KH3 to come out so i can start running them and prolly injustice 2 also. And GDQ are must watch every 6 months :D

Watched ur tower run just @Shade667 awsome run ! With the new patch need to see if there is faster ways to beat the tower :)

Shade667

#StrongisthenewCute
You are hilarious.
Thanks. But what do u mean?

Im not saying you cant speedrun a souls game, as it has been done and they are very entertaining. But they certainly arent designed with it in mind, in the same way platformers and racing games are, for example. Final fantasy is a game with a large speedrunning community that as a game is not something you would think about when trying to beat a game as fast as possible, as its design doesnt lend to it.

@JerQ_Q Yeah ill be putting in the time to see what optimisations I can make. Thanks.