What's new

Strategy - Ermac Spectral for What MUs & When?

Doctor Rektangle

Think outside the Box
Now I'll admit I'm no sacred guru or insane OP Elite player who will auto top 8 any event. That's rediculous but I haven't seen many threads actually attempt to in depth which variations are suited for MUs.

SPECTRAL
Ferra/Torr: Upon Knockdown Ferra is off of Torr's back. EX and normal bf2 become your best friend in the punishment game provided your out of position for normals.

On WU besides Tuck N Run F/T can't stop levitating games. The Ferra tosses can be Armored with bf2 or teleport anti zoned on reaction. Levitate can cause his low toss to whiff & on block levitate EXdb2 will beat his EX grab but loses to EX charge.

Jason: With slow normals and a weak air game it's a no brainer. And when he goes into armor mode we don't even have to deal with it with levitation. Also we have an out to red screen. He can't reach us.

Jaqui not Full Auto: Most of her damage comes from up close combat. Shot gun can be neutralized with proper levitate cancels. While yes unsafe the risk vs reward is in Macs favor once pressure is applied. Especially since she is meter dependent stopping your pressure will come at the cost of the ability to fully utilize hers. That and levitating EX soul blast is pretty useful during pressure. Makes them respect you heavily.

Grandmaster Sub Zero: Not too much to notate here. EX BF2 definitely helps out getting out of Clone shenanigans up close. Provided levitate cancelling you won't be reversaled by slide. Which is teleport, d1 punishable.

Or jipxxddu so you don't hit the ground into pressure. Or descend to the ground for b1 or 50/50. His other reversal options are too slow to do much to you.

Predator: Predator Hunter or HQT are a menace up close. They can pressure you and MB trap for advantage. However Spectral can play some Nasty strata in return.

Spectral's f21xxddu (levitate). I've had Predators BF4 Scimitar slam reversals whiff. Which is obviously punishable for 34% midscreen. Scimitar slam It's their armor way out. Which is the Achilles heel of Spectral Mac. Levitate pressure stops pesky predator D4s, d3s.

Ermacs access to EXBF2 still gives you opportunity for WU reversal and allows me to start up my pressure.

I prefer spectral to MoS here because Predator and being up close is a battle Ermac loses more than he wins. That and with Ex trap and ex Lasers Ermac can become way to meter dependet to get Predators off of him. Ex db2 putts them full screen... where HQT wants to be. Yet Ermac has no real way to gain damage at this point in the neutral after Soul Charge EX DB2.

MoS can take fully combo punshible teleport risks to counter zone predator but that requires 1 bar to get good damage as well.

Levitating over Lasers is another Spectral Plus provided you're out of the Up laser range which can be teleported or (levitate dropped). Also mid screen the bf2 on reaction to laser gets the Knockdown and corpse hop for WU reversal.

Shinnock: Currently exploring but I've had more success against all 3 variations with Spectral as opposed to Master of Souls. Bf2 and levitate canceled normals help neutralize his pressure game and can punish Sparks easy.

MASTER OF SOULS
Master of Souls

Insert doge here. The on average best variation. nothing specific to note here. Unsafe 50/50 occasional vortex setplay.

As for Mystic mac..... ......... ....... when dem buffs coming? Before or after Bo Rao Cho's confirmation?

MYSTIC
Mystic Mac...

Although it's not as good as Mos against Dvorah. It does force her to play a lot safer in the neutral. Having to respect push and lift... access to EX soul blast puts her in the desired ranges. Butttt..... so... un.....safe..... like Kenshi?

Genuine Curiosity had me make this wondering what other Mac players thought. Granted that MoS is still home base. Mystic and Spectral don't have what they require to be part of the established Metagame.

Can Mystics point me in a direction or showcase what it means to more-so gain advantages in specific MUs no matter how NICHE it may be?

Last edited:

Doctor Rektangle

Think outside the Box
This would imply that people actually play spectral
This contribution has undoubtedly satiated my quest for knowledge on the subject at hand. I must I have your assistance if I start a thread for High Tech Jaqui as well? A cavalcade of knowledge this one is.

:coffee:

zaf

professor
Well I had been testing and messing around with spectral since he got the changes. However out of all the match ups that I ran with spectral, I didnt see anything that struck me as a better match up over master of souls. Whenever I played spectral with someone, I made sure to explain to them how it all works. The fact that nothing jails, and he can still get hit out of levitate pressure is what will still make the variation weak. Everyone I play was able to just hit me out of my levitate pressure. Master of souls has more then enough to compete against the cast. It's downfall is how unsafe he is. Also not really a weakness ( but sort of in this game), but he does not have "loopable" pressure. This would be something like fireball cancels, FA jacqui mb uprocket, tanya ex tonfa toss etc. He has nothing to spend a resource on to keep himself on top of you. It could of been spectral, to be the variation that could of done this but like I mentioned, you can get hit out of everything you do.

Olcadan13

mkx apologist
This contribution has undoubtedly satiated my quest for knowledge on the subject at hand. I must I have your assistance if I start a thread for High Tech Jaqui as well? A cavalcade of knowledge this one is.

:coffee:
i can't give you knowledge because that would imply that i play spectral ermac