What's new

General/Other - Scorpion Spear randomly coming out from FBC

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
A lot of Scorpion players know about this issue already. It's imo a pretty bad issue that doesn't seem to make any sense.

If I use B3 FBC and dash forward spear will randomly come out for no reason. The input record will clearly show the sequence of B3 d, b, 1 (hold) f, f and what will come out is B3xx Spear. Other times it reads the same exact thing and the FBC comes out with no issue.

This is all with input shortcuts and release check off on normal controls. The only way I can think of to get this to stop happening is to use alternate controls but then motions become more strict than they need to be.

This becomes incredibly annoying due to the fact that b3 fbc is supposed to be a safe option but turns totally unsafe when spear randomly comes out.

What is causing this to happen? It only seems to happen during moves that can be canceled. Does something change with input methods during the frames of moves that can be canceled? Can this be fixed? I'm sure other characters probably suffer similar issues and I'm wondering if this will be addressed in a future patch.

I have a similar issue with 114/214 Tele with Hellfire.
Randomly I get 21 FA which is not the best punisher. :) And got low minion with inferno (thankfully Ninjitsu doesn't have that special lol).

According to my experience it happens if I do it too fast. Accurate but fast. It might have the same root cause as AI wants to be more clever than us.

Could be different though just mentioned. :)

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
It's something that's been happening to me more frequently than usual since the last major patch in September. I just chalked it up to not playing Hellfire as much as I should be recently.

Essentially, in that patch, the buffering window for cancels was changed most likely in conjunction with NRS attempting to remove the OS's. Yeah I know there was a huge bug concerning this for all cancellable specials for all characters but this has since been fixed and I suppose it was too complicated for NRS to retain the exact same algorithms as there were for them before.

You might be true. I remember the same thing in September (?). I just practiced Inferno/Hellfire and I thought that my controller went crazy (and switched USB port, checked controller settings, etc.). Then I played mostly Ninjitsu and didn't face that problem anymore. :p
Maybe that is just a coincidence I do not want to mind pressure you guys. :D

I play on PC so it came to my mind that only PC version was sux.

Btw I practiced FRBC today and did some surprise spear. I just stated that I was too bad yet. :p

Btw is it feature or bug that B3F1 is a B3 + BF1? I use it as a feature as the spear is easier to do lol but it is not how it should happen. :) Same as B3F4.

Last edited:

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
I used to have this problem early on but I've gotten used to the timing to where I rarely get spear. It's just practice. Once you get the timing down it's not too hard.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
The timing for it is harder than it initially seems, the same timing that will give you B3 FBC on hit can give you B3 spear on block or even just B3 fireball. Too fast and you are unsafe, too slow and it doesn't string. Same issue with F3 FBC F3 though not as bad. I don't think B3 is a great opener anyway so for the most part it doesn't bother me.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
The timing for it is harder than it initially seems, the same timing that will give you B3 FBC on hit can give you B3 spear on block or even just B3 fireball. Too fast and you are unsafe, too slow and it doesn't string. Same issue with F3 FBC F3 though not as bad. I don't think B3 is a great opener anyway so for the most part it doesn't bother me.
It's definitely a good opener, it's the main tool to mix his overhead with. It is tough to master though. His run cancels are a lot harder than people give them credit for.

Olcadan13

mkx apologist
this is becuase you input forward before the fireball actually charges up, so the game forgets the d and registers b, f, 1, which is the spear. wait for the fireball animation to start before you do the run input

God Confirm

It's definitely a good opener, it's the main tool to mix his overhead with. It is tough to master though. His run cancels are a lot harder than people give them credit for.
Meh I don't like the overhead though so the low by default is kinda shitty for me.

His cancels are hard, anyone saying they are easy cancels are the scrubs who think his cancels consist of just 214 FBC 214 on block. Seriously I saw a guy saying Predators DASH cancels are WAY harder than Hellfires in the last thread I saw it come up... Lol

God Confirm

this is becuase you input forward before the fireball actually charges up, so the game forgets the d and registers b, f, 1, which is the spear. wait for the fireball animation to start before you do the run input
It's also because block strings come out in a different timing so while you need to do it at a fast enough speed to make it link on hit, your regular timing can give you a spear on block

Just practice recording yourself as AI and then blocking it and seeing if the FBC still comes out, and then letting it hit and seeing if it still strings. It's the most annoying way to have to learn something but it's the only way, stupid game option selects out the unsafe spear if you even a couple of frames too fast.

Matix218

Get over here!
A lot of Scorpion players know about this issue already. It's imo a pretty bad issue that doesn't seem to make any sense.

If I use B3 FBC and dash forward spear will randomly come out for no reason. The input record will clearly show the sequence of B3 d, b, 1 (hold) f, f and what will come out is B3xx Spear. Other times it reads the same exact thing and the FBC comes out with no issue.

This is all with input shortcuts and release check off on normal controls. The only way I can think of to get this to stop happening is to use alternate controls but then motions become more strict than they need to be.

This becomes incredibly annoying due to the fact that b3 fbc is supposed to be a safe option but turns totally unsafe when spear randomly comes out.

What is causing this to happen? It only seems to happen during moves that can be canceled. Does something change with input methods during the frames of moves that can be canceled? Can this be fixed? I'm sure other characters probably suffer similar issues and I'm wondering if this will be addressed in a future patch.
I actually have not played in like two weeks and played today and I was really having a problem with this out of nowhere. I was looking at my inputs and they seemed fine and randomly I would get a spear instead of b3, fbrc. It seemed to happen more frequently on the player 1 side for me. I chalked it up to being out of practice but it is definitely frusterating

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The buffer window from one input to another in this game is way too large, if you have a character with db motion you can't input one direction and immediately input another one in conjunction a command normal, if there is a special move shared with that motion will trigger the special.

It happens to me a lot even as KL, you cannot walk back and forth and press F2 without letting the buffer window disappear.
Sure there is practice to overcome this, but overall is still bad, there are situations where in order to win in neutral, or to punish an opening you will need to input that normal, sadly most of the time it will be under the buffer window, it would totally fine if the motion macro didn't register while charging, but it does, you hold down for a while, the instant you input B3, you will get a teleport, even though you intended a raw B3.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Yeah going from down to b3 is really annoying and you're forced to input another direction to prevent it from coming out. This is why I used alternate controls in injustice but it just makes some moves way too strict. There's no medium with the controls in nrs games imo.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
The buffer window from one input to another in this game is way too large, if you have a character with db motion you can't input one direction and immediately input another one in conjunction a command normal, if there is a special move shared with that motion will trigger the special.

It happens to me a lot even as KL, you cannot walk back and forth and press F2 without letting the buffer window disappear.
Sure there is practice to overcome this, but overall is still bad, there are situations where in order to win in neutral, or to punish an opening you will need to input that normal, sadly most of the time it will be under the buffer window, it would totally fine if the motion macro didn't register while charging, but it does, you hold down for a while, the instant you input B3, you will get a teleport, even though you intended a raw B3.
Man I'd love if the buffer was changed. There's a nice middle ground where I can Feel assisted but still feel like I'm in control without fighting against the game.