What's new

sonya useless eh moves

all of sonya eh moves are complely useless why does she even have them lol
who in his right mind will use one bar of meter for an extra 3 or 4 % damage when the move does not have armor?

eh Cartwhee: only has armor for the very first frames making it useless because 97% of the time you will get hit out of it before the first active frame and since this move has a lot of startup frames is useless to use one bar of meter just to get hit out of the move before it hit your opponent this move has so few frames of armor that it is hard to use it even to go throw projectiles 2 risky and useless no for 1 bar of meter

eh kiss: it has a little little little more range. . . this move most be a joke nrs is putting on sonya players. . . so i will use one bar of meter for an already useless move just to get a little little little more of range on it? when my opponent can clearly see it coming because it take forever to come out oh yea so smart useless

eh leg grab: yes you get more damage for the bar of meter you are using but this move is completly useless out of a combo because of how unsafe and slow it is and when you use it in a combo the damage scale it is so big that you will only get like 2 to 3% more than the regular version of the move so i just use a bar of my meter for an extra 2 to 3 % damage in a combo??????? one word useless

eh rings: ok maybe not 100% useless because at the right distance if you guess your opponent will try to jump the first ring the second will anti air them but i have to guess my opponen will do this and use one bar of my meter hopping my oponnent will jump and when he does what do i get for my bar of meter 4 or 6 %? unless my opponent is about to die and i just want to take some chip damage from him this move is useless for a bar of meter

Arc Kick: this move has armor against projectiles but it only has armor after she is in the air and since this move takes forever to get to the air it is useless to counter fire ball attacks 100% of the time she will get hit by the fire ball before she is in the air and it has the same range as the regular version so why use one bar of meter when the regular version of the move does the same job? oh i know for a little more of dames lol GET OUT OF HERE USELESS it has some use against 3 characters in the cast and even against this 3 characters is kind of useless

sonya will hardly use her meter for anything else than to break a combo or a randow xray at close range she is one of the hardest character to use in the game even for her to get a 27 or 30% + combo you have to do some some serious timing. i think she should get something so that she can use her meter for something else than a breaker

NRS why cann't she have full armor in one of her eh moves anyone of them you guys pick but give her something to use her meter on other than a breaker. . . is that much to ask? or you guys at NRS think she will be overpower by getting full armor in one of her moves? thank you

Wrathchild

Land Stander
"slow to cover distange making it really hard to use against projectiles and when use a mid rage your opponent can easily see it coming eat a hamburger and then block lol"

Haha nice. Yeah Sonya is super easy mode to zone...I fall asleep when I fight her as Noob, although I've never really fought a super good Sonya so maybe there are a few tricks that she has. However, what you just pointed out makes me think that there aren't any.

archon

Noob
Comboing into X-ray is not worth it, I agree, but a less-than-optimal combo I use with two meters lands 45%, and if you can land 2,1,cartwheel into b.2,1,f.2~combo, you can do even more without meter (I have trouble landing the b.2,1,f.2 so I rarely use it). It's a toss up between guaranteed damage added to combos, but that one meter will scale and only net you 4%. Honestly, I hold onto all my meter to keep the threat of X-ray active. The initial four hits gives you plenty of time to land it off of weird situations, for example if you opponent jump-in-punches into a combo. 33% off a raw X-ray isn't terrible.

Also, Enhanced rings can trick overzealous opponents whose characters "should" successfully out-zone Sonya. It's more about battling your opponent with Sonya's tools; I still don't know every property of her moves, but her damage off combos makes her viable. She just isn't optimal with meter usage. It's more a matter of not doing raw specials; fuck cartwheel outside of combos, fuck arc kick except for anti-airing certain air moves or getting in after a 4,4.

En Cartwheel is very good to use if you know your opponent is going to do a low poke. Good example being Kitana D1 spammers.

Dive Kick into X-Ray is an unbreakable 40%... does lots of chip and has armor throughout the whole animation. It's definitely not the worst X-Ray, but not the best.

En Leg Grab is unbreakable 19%.

sonya will hardly use her meter for anything else than to break a combo or a randow xray at close range she is one of the hardest character to use in the game even for her to get a 27 or 30% + combo you have to do some some serious timing. i think she should get something so that she can use her meter for something else than a breaker
Um, no. And you should be happy she gets 48% or 51% (If you do 112 MS F1 Cartwheel) off of B21F2 and 42% - 44% (With 112 MS F1 Cartwheel) off of dive kick without having to use meter. Why would you want to have her use meter to increase combo damage like Cyrax or Kitana?

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
En Cartwheel is very good to use if you know your opponent is going to do a low poke. Good example being Kitana D1 spammers.

Dive Kick into X-Ray is an unbreakable 40%... does lots of chip and has armor throughout the whole animation. It's definitely not the worst X-Ray, but not the best.

En Leg Grab is unbreakable 19%.

Um, no. And you should be happy she gets 48% or 51% (If you do 112 MS F1 Cartwheel) off of B21F2 and 42% - 44% (With 112 MS F1 Cartwheel) off of dive kick without having to use meter. Why would you want to have her use meter to increase combo damage like Cyrax or Kitana?
Can you tell me how to do that combo? I cant get the MS f1 to combo after the 112 after a divekick.

Isn't her XR one of the only ones, if not the only one that does a considerable amount of chip? Plus it has armour to help counter pressure. I thought her EX Kiss gave more stun for you to follow-up with something as well, but I'm probably wrong on that.

Breakers are a very useful thing, though, and if you have a character that's very solid without using meter, well that just means that you're always gonna be having breakers.

Can you tell me how to do that combo? I cant get the MS f1 to combo after the 112 after a divekick.
B21F2 NJP dash Kiss dash Dive Kick 21 Cartwheel B21F2 112 MS F1 Cartwheel = 51%

Dive Kick 21 Cartwheel B21F2 dash 1 dash 112 MS F1 Cartwheel = 44%

It's not a complete combo. There's chip damage.

And one more thing to add about Sonya. MS F1 Cartwheel builds 2/5ths of a bar, more if you use a string like 114 before it. If you use MS F1 Cartwheel at the end of a combo, you not only get 6% chip but a nice chunk of meter.

edit the first post after sometime with her in the lab i can say that her xray is not bad at all may bad i should have test it the links to the xray first.

i love sonya she has always been one of my favorite characters i was waiting for them to remove all the bs from her so that i could put some time on learning her at a high level so now it is the time i cann't wait to show more of her on streams

archon

Noob
Isn't her XR one of the only ones, if not the only one that does a considerable amount of chip? Plus it has armour to help counter pressure. I thought her EX Kiss gave more stun for you to follow-up with something as well, but I'm probably wrong on that.

Breakers are a very useful thing, though, and if you have a character that's very solid without using meter, well that just means that you're always gonna be having breakers.
Her X-ray is safe on block, so it is a good derp derp punish to overzealous players. Her Enhanced Kiss I don't believe grants more stun (haven't tested), but you can hold and release it late.

I agree about breakers. She's either got a straight 33% X-ray with armor, or a breaker. She does enough damage on her own to not need all sorts of armored or enhanced moves.

Justice

Noob
The only thing I don't like about Sonja's X-Ray is that it's an 11-hit combo unlike everyone else's in the game. With everyone else, you get the first hit and the X-Ray goes. With Sonja, your opponent can block half of it and still get nailed by the X-Ray but for less damage due to the first few hits being blocked.

Somberness

Lights
The only thing I don't like about Sonja's X-Ray is that it's an 11-hit combo unlike everyone else's in the game. With everyone else, you get the first hit and the X-Ray goes. With Sonja, your opponent can block half of it and still get nailed by the X-Ray but for less damage due to the first few hits being blocked.
So you're saying because the x-ray has more chances to land that it is bad?

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Ex Cartwheel is a good wake up attack because it is safe on block and it has the ability to stop pressure.

Ex Arc Kick reels back and stops cross ups on wake up + has invincibility to stop any advancing pressure.

Ex Kiss can be held and dash cancelled.

Ex Rings second hit can hit crouching opponent, this move is hard to jump over and can usually end a round with chip.

You win the ex leg grab debate. I feel like Ex leg grab should keep the opponent in front of her so that you have the option to use it for positioning

X-Ray is dumb unless it ends the round. But that's pretty much how all X-Rays are in this game, you use them for their unbreakable properties.