What's new

Sonya 114 ms ?

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
so sonyas 114 ms and after ms can it be poked or interrupted or its guaranteed ms f1 ?
I don't know anything about Sonya's frame data and I lost to her every time. But because it's her, it's probably at least safe or even plus - like everything else she has.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
You can armor through anything she tries to do with 114 xx MS on block. Cannot poke though. 112 xx MS on block has no gaps into the followups so you can use that if you want.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
You can armor through anything she tries to do with 114 xx MS on block. Cannot poke though. 112 xx MS on block has no gaps into the followups so you can use that if you want.
Looking at Somberness' data... Why can't you interrupt with a 6- or 7-frame move? If she's +6 after MS and her fastest moves out of that are 3 and 4 at 8 frames each.

Something to do with her position?

Eminent

Forum Lurker
On block the cancel advantage of 114 is +16. Going into military stance takes up a minimum of 10 frames so she's +6.

The start up of her military stance moves are as follows
Military Stance (start up) - 10
1 - 11 | 21
1+3 - 12 | 22
2 - 16 | 26
3 - 8 | 18
4 - 8, 23 second hit | 18, 33 second hit
B+2 - 14 | 24
B+4 - 12 | 22
F+1 - 15, 32 second hit | 25, 42 second hit

So off of 114 if she goes for the slow low (f1) you have 9 frames to poke out. If she goes for the overhead grab (1+3) or the fast low (b4) you have just 6. If she goes for the knee-kick (4) you only have 2 frames (not pokable).

If you're playing Sonya I'd recommend going for b21 on jump ins because the cancel advantage on block is +24 and covers all of her options. On hit you can confirm into her biggest combo with b21f2 (the combo is kind of hard though). The 2,1 string is also +24 cancel advantage on block and can be confirmed into cartwheel on hit for an easier combo.

In the ground game all of Sonya's strings have problems. Most start by hitting high. In 3,1,2 the 1 hits high and can be neutral ducked and uppercutted. The best mid normal she has is standing 4 which starts up in 10 frames but all the followups have holes because it's only +10 cancel advantage on block.

D4msf1 - best meterless ground tool, out footsies everything, no holes on block or hit, +1 on block

So your best bet is to use D4msf1 and then fish for divekicks or ex-cartwheel. Unfortunately you can't use the overhead grab midscreen off of d4 unless you use some weird oki setups. In the corner you CAN do it though so go ham.

Link to frame data http://testyourmight.com/threads/sonya-frame-data.17615/

Last edited:

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
I thought it was common knowledge you could poke. Well I guess any sonya player has tried it and lost to a poke

Poto2222

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015.
I was about to post a really summed up version of this, but you covered pretty much everything, great post bro! :D

One thing that I like to do when my opponent seems be trying to armor through my 114MSF1 is to use MS4, and then one of two things may happen:
A] They eat the double kick;
B] METER DRAIN GLITCH IN YO FACE. lol

It doesn't take too long for them to start respecting my options once option B happens. Haha

Eminent

Forum Lurker
The last bit is kinda hard so sometimes I like doing
B21F2 NJP Kiss DK21CW 1 112~MSF1
because it's easier. I think it's like 44% so you don't lose too much damage.

Eminent

Forum Lurker
If Sonya is player 2 and enemy is player 1 a perfectly timed 6 frame d1 will win I think.

Either way, ex cartwheel will not always work. For example if you're playing Raiden he's gonna teleport out of your 114 mix ups all day. You have to be careful against anyone with armor. That's why I recommend the air tight strings if you're going for mix ups.