What's new

Tech Sonic Pound Far 50/50 Set Up

SEV

Noob
Not sure if this is known tech or not, as I have yet to see someone else do this, but it's fairly simple. Due to the stagger from B22F3 we can get a guaranteed Sonic Pound that cannot be D2'ed. Now what I've noticed is that when you meter burn Sonic Pound Far after a B22F3 block string, it will hit in front of the enemy but land you behind them so that they stagger directly into you meanwhile you are +11. So if you do the math this will give you a guaranteed, inescapable 50/50.

The only down side to this is that ducking will cause Sonic Pound Far to whiff and leave us punishable. So to make this tech viable the opponent needs to be conditioned to block overhead in fear of a regular Sonic Pound. If you are able to do this you can make a pseudo, double 50/50.

The first 50/50 is the Sonic Pound, either neutral or far, in which the opponent will have to choose to either duck to make the SPF whiff or stand to block the regular SP. If you catch them ducking with a neutral Sonic Pound you can combo, and if you catch them standing with Sonic Pound Far you go into the second 50/50 with a low or overhead string.

Fairly simple stuff, nothing that great though as it's meter heavy and there is risk to it, but it's pretty counter-intuitive to duck when you see an overhead coming toward you, so it can be abused until they realize how to escape it. I've been using it a bit and I find it useful as more people seem to be figuring out how to deal with our frame traps and for one bar of meter it is practically a guaranteed, inescapable 50/50.

Edit: Found new ways of getting this 50/50 set up. These are all the ways I've been able to find, and I tried just about everything so I think this might be it. 3 and 4 on the list are pretty useless as any movement will escape it and are always punishable. Maybe 4 could be a gimmick if you see people respecting double D2 a lot.

1. Raw Sonic Pound after a D3 follow up to any meterless combo ending with LK.
This is a fake, cross up OTG, and will reverse wake up inputs. So the only way to escape it is by a wake up attack. This could potentially be a big find as it adds more depth to our meta game, forcing enemies to respect our option to D3 after a standing vortex combo if we're sitting on meter, in turn giving our overhead option better viability as a follow up.

2. Sonic Pound Far after a dropped D1D2.(inescapable, guaranteed. +23 after D1D2, 19 frame SU on SPF)

3. Sonic Pound Far after a B/F3.(escapable/punishable)

4. Raw Sonic Pound after a double D2 block string.(escapable/punishable)

5. Raw Sonic Pound after a D1D2D3 hard knockdown.(fake cross up OTG)

AK Harold
SaJa
Xenrail
BoricuaHeat
Zyphox

SaJa

FH_FenriR
b22 sonic pound does crossup batman, harley quinn, flash, and some more characters on block. b22 sonic pound does crossup for everyone on hit.
It crossups everyone in corner.

SEV

Noob
b22 sonic pound does crossup batman, harley quinn, flash, and some more characters on block. b22 sonic pound does crossup for everyone on hit.
B22 SP(MB) won't midscreen, but even if it could it is punishable by D2. It's the stagger from B22F3 that makes this safe. And the cross up isn't the tech, the inescapable 50/50 is the tech.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
most characters can literally walk forward out of b22 MB sonic pound in the corner, and GL, supes, BA etc they don't ever get hit by it and i think it was secretly patched to do this, like a hotfix or something because IIRC it always did. test yourself, put CPU to block in the corner b22 sonic pound, its dumb.

I use this in my matchplay quite a lot. it also can also be used against counters to whiff on purpose and punish counters

oh yeah also raw far sonic pound is ridiculously good for these reasons as well and gives us a wider attack range to work from. it is also a way to deal with players that try to duck tech mb charge all the time.

Xenrail

Noob
this has a lot of potential for a setup. just need to figure out confirms now if it does hit. time to lab!

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
Found some new ways to get this set up.
you can do a b22f3 on block then if they don't move you can sonic pound MB for a cross up, thats if they don't move though. also that set up doesn't work on characters that can make b22f3 whiff on crouch block, since it eliminates any guessing and gets you punished. characters like aquaman either block it high and get crossed up in block or duck and full combo punish so its stupid until they fix his mids. it would be a 6-4 MU in flash favor if ever time i punished aquaman with b22 i can add the f3 at the end and he's in a 50/50 even if he traits up. but no he can just duck -_-

M2Dave

Zoning Master
You only need one set up.

In the corner, finish any trait combo with the sonic pound. Close and mid MB sonic pound is a 50/50 mix up. Even if the MB sonic pound gets blocked, you are at an advantage.

So you do 55% damage minimum from the trait + the potential damage from MB sonic pound.

This character obviously needs more buffs.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
oh yeah also raw far sonic pound is ridiculously good for these reasons as well and gives us a wider attack range to work from. it is also a way to deal with players that try to duck tech mb charge all the time.
duck tech? whats that mean?