What's new

General/Other Some Jump Attack Blockstun Information

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
First off, lemme start by saying that the in-game frame data on Deathstroke's air normals is total BS.

This may be common knowledge at this point, but I feel that posting this information couldn't hurt. This isn't a breakthrough read, but check the facts if you're interested.

In terms of blockstun: Ji2 > Ji3 > Ji1
All 3 are positive on block
(Stop reading here if you dont care about the details)

Be reminded of some of the awkward air attack mechanics of this game. Air normals must be comboed out of at the moment they hit and NOT when you hit the ground. The character will automatically continue to do the next input you made when they reach the ground. The closer to the ground you are when you hit with the move, the more advantage you have. These facts are considering you are landing the air normal as close to the ground as possible.

After any air move, 1, D1, F2, Flip, or Spin are guaranteed on block INCLUDING against Superman's super. So Ji1, 132 is absolutely safe from everything.

Other than Superman, The Flash has the fastest startup move in the game (Flying Uppercut). The slowest melee move DS (barring his bounce moves) is B1 (15 frames).

Ji1, B1 knocks Flash out of reversal FU
Ji3, B1 knocks Flash out of reversal FU
Ji2, B1 keeps Flash in blockstun for a grounded B1 BEFORE he can FU

So the moral of the story is, use Ji2 for mixup and blockstun shenanigans. You have to use Ji1 EXTREMELY close to the ground to get a free mixup (not very practical), and Ji3 knocks people down, so if they didn't block, you're not getting a very powerful mixup if you used B1.

Now Ji3 has more advantage than Ji1 based on my testing. These jump attacks were performed as DS was coming down from a forward jump arch.

Ji1, 3 loses to Flash's FU
Ji3, 3 beats Flash's FU
Ji2, 3 keeps Flash in blockstun for a grounded 3 BEFORE he can FU

So yeah, if you're using jump attacks in the middle of your jump arch, know that Ji3 and Ji2 can net you the ability to use just about any attack afterwards. Ji1 can only be safely followed up with an 8 frame move or less.

Also, when it comes to Ji3, don't get too cocky with it. It's got so much range that you can easily hit people on the way UP with it, in which you heavily decrease the amount of block advantage you have. If you DO hit them on the way up (like REALLY early), you can't safely chain a move in blockstun.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
wait, so linking b1 to a ji1 does not give u a block string? or do u mean doing the string after u already landed.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Jump in, attack, land, attack.
ah, ok, i would never use j1 like that anyways, its better reserved for going for that ninja crossup thing rather than tryin to gain advatage offa it, most of the time i exclusively use j3 for that.

btw, what is j3 on block?

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
I'm not sure if this can be accurately tested in training mode. We don't know the frame data for ducking. You have flash trying to do a 6 frame reversal. That does not mean flash cant duck and d1 a standing high attack.

Im not saying you are wrong, im just saying its not for sure. Hypothetically it might take 2 frames to duck, then your standing high attack whiffs and flash punishes for 9 bagillion percent. Approximately.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Well the jumping mechanic is still that of MK9. The deeper you input your attack, the more advantage you get. Problem is, in fear of AA, I tend to attack at mid-max Aerial 3 range and I'm not sure that's still + on block. I'll test later as I get back home from school.