What's new

Solar roadways? SOLAR ROADWAYS!

Good idea or bad idea?

• Total voters

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
1) Hella expensive maintenance.
2) City roads are hardly the best place to get solar energy (I watched the original kickstarter video). Why wouldn't they just put them in open fields instead? There's something called Solar cell efficiency, current commercial solar panels are very low efficiency, and the most efficient ones are REALLY expensive and have very rare materials. I seriously doubt they would produce a considerable amount of energy in a road where there are trees, traffic, mountains, buildings and glass covering them up. There's a reason why solar farms are usually in the middle of deserts.
3) Glass thing seems super unsafe. Wouldn't it be slippery during rain and stuff?
4) Making billions of microcomponents sounds expensive, and it may lead to a shortage of raw materials. Did you guys know that we're running low on materials used to make cellphones? And now you want to use it for roads? wut.

Youtube vids make it sound wonderful but has someone actually researched this?

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
2) City roads are hardly the best place to get solar energy (I watched the original kickstarter video). Why wouldn't they just put them in open fields instead? There's something called Solar cell efficiency, current commercial solar panels are very low efficiency, and the most efficient ones are REALLY expensive and have very rare materials. I seriously doubt they would produce a considerable amount of energy in a road where there are trees, traffic, mountains, buildings and glass covering them up. There's a reason why solar farms are usually in the middle of deserts.
3) Glass thing seems super unsafe. Wouldn't it be slippery during rain and stuff?
4) Making billions of microcomponents sounds expensive, and it may lead to a shortage of raw materials. Did you guys know that we're running low on materials used to make cellphones? And now you want to use it for roads? wut.

Grand Emperor Wizard Obama will implement this to make it a perfect liberal paradise

E

Eldriken

You raise several valid points, sir.