What's new

So, You want to be an Official. What to expect:

Noob
So, I want to take a moment here and explain what goes into being an official.

A little background on me:

I am nationally certified USSSA Softball Umpire. USSSA = United States Specialty Sports Association. I have umpired softball for 6 years, and where I officiate, I am one of the most requested umpires in the league as well as the county.

My resume includes officiating the highest level of Softball allowed in the the county I live in, including State qualifying tournaments that help determine who will attend the National USSSA Finals(for that division) held at the Disney Softball/Baseball complex in Florida.

It also includes being requested by teams that are IN MY OWN DIVISION to officiate games that have an impact upon my own team's final placing and ability to enter the playoffs. These teams have told the league and my assignor that they prefer me even when the assignor was concerned that there might be a conflict of interest.

I have also officiated my own team, that I put together, play on, and manage. My team had 13 players, the other team had 10, exactly the amount of players needed to play. The umpire assigned to our game got sick and we were going to have to re-schedule the games. The team we were playing was a team I had officiated before and requested that I put on my umpire uniform and officiate the game. I called the assignor, asked if it was ok, and put the other team's manager on the phone who then explained that he knew that I would be fair and call the game correctly. I did just that, because I hold my own teammates to a certain standard: that they understand the rules and that I expect them to follow the rules at all times...whether I'm a player or an umpire.

Now, on to being an official:

All of my time as an umpire has helped me be a better TO. The experiences are very much the same.

-You're responsible for the well being of the event

-You're responsible for the rules, knowing the ins and outs of all of them better than the players(and as you will learn if you choose to be an official, most players BARELY understand the rules)

-You're responsible for knowing the correct rulings for situations, NO MATTER HOW STRANGE THEY MAY BE. Think you've seen it all? Think again...

-Your job is thankless, be prepared for that. If you're doing it for any other reason other than, "It has to be done", then you're doing it for the wrong reason and just don't bother.

-You are the ENEMY. There is no way to sugar coat this. Every single decision you make will piss off SOMEONE. You will not make everyone happy. You need THICK SKIN to be able to not care. People will call you names. People will blame you. People will talk about you behind your back. Like I said, if you're doing this for any other reason, the time to duck out is now. If you're doing it for any other reasons, YOU WILL be affected by this stuff...and you simply cannot afford to be affected by it. You have to simply learn to not care. EVERY SINGLE TOURNAMENT will be YOU vs. EVERY PLAYER. Too bad, so sad...that's the way it is.

-You're responsible for being unbiased. Fair...every single time. You have to literally STOP CARING about who wins and who loses. If your friends win, congratulate them and move on. You're allowed to be human and be happy for your friend, but ultimately you must learn to NOT CARE if they win or lose.

-You must learn to see games differently. Instead of looking at the game and instead of thinking about gameplay, you think about RULES...and ONLY RULES.

-You have to learn to think on the fly, fix problems as FAIRLY AS POSSIBLE IN THE GIVEN SITUATION, knowing that you will make SOMEONE unhappy. You have to learn to minimize the damage, and go with the "lesser of two evils" in many cases.

-You have to be willing to be the bad guy.

-You must be unable to be bought. Yes, some people are just that crazy. You have to be stronger than that, period.

-You must learn to exercise common sense. Sometimes people break rules without knowing it. Use common sense. Sometimes a stern look, a warning, or just a funny remark will stop that from ever happening again. Not EVERY offense needs capital punishment.

I may or may not add to this as time goes on. I will definitely share some war stories as both umpire and TO though. They will be good for a laugh at times, and they will be good for learning for new/potential future officials.

Noob
Umpire war story #1: 2 for 1 special

See, as an umpire, you have a lot of responsibility. Of course, you also have a certain amount of power and control over that game. You have to learn to use your power and control fairly.

You also have the ability to wield it WITHIN THE RULES to affect peoples' attitudes and actions toward you and other players.

One night, I'm calling a game and a player is just constantly jawing at me about ANYTHING. This pitch was too high, that pitch was too low, this pitch was inside... so on and so forth. EVERYTHING was wrong to this guy... someone musta pissed in his cheerios that morning.

Anyway, there's a close play at 2nd base... I'm 3 feet from the bag to make the call and I call the runner out. This guy comes FLYING at me from the dugout SCREAMING all sorts of things at me about how the guy was safe, that I need better glasses... So I let him vent a little. Finally he pushes the envelope and says something stupid and I say to him:

"One more word out of you and I'll throw you AND YOUR SHORTSTOP out of the game."

*Note*, his Shortstop was the BEST PLAYER on his team, responsible for more run production than the ENTIRE REST OF THE TEAM COMBINED.

Well, the Shortstop's mouth dropped open, and his ENTIRE TEAM began to tell him to shut up, and literally chased him back to the dugout.

Long story short... he didn't say ANOTHER WORD to me all night.

It's funny when you see how the honest threat of making someone else pay for your crimes will make so many other people turn on you...

Noob
TO War Story #2: Old Yeller

By now everyone pretty much knows how loud I am. Most of the time, I don't even need the bullhorn to be heard over everything else.

One tournament, and I don't remember which one... maybe DanCock does... but Dan was gracious enough to help with running the MKDC tournament.

Well, I'm yelling...and yelling...and YELLING...AND YELLING... So, Dan is telling me something, and I'm so focused on getting through the work that I don't even realize that what I'm yelling at him about is EXACTLY what he was telling me...

I felt terrible.. LOL.

Moral of the story? EVERYONE eventually gets yelled at by me at a tournament...

LOL, true... and I definitely need to make a new one.
You do that. The first one was really damn nice.

But anyways, I wanted to thank you for this write up. I've always been very interested in becoming an umpire for baseball because it is my favorite sport. At age 30, I figure it would be the best way to keep enjoying the game besides watching it on television whenever I get the chance to. So reading up on this was a pretty good reminder on what kind of obstacles lie ahead. And not just in umpiring, but in any walks of life.

Noob
You do that. The first one was really damn nice.

But anyways, I wanted to thank you for this write up. I've always been very interested in becoming an umpire for baseball because it is my favorite sport. At age 30, I figure it would be the best way to keep enjoying the game besides watching it on television whenever I get the chance to. So reading up on this was a pretty good reminder on what kind of obstacles lie ahead. And not just in umpiring, but in any walks of life.
Well, if you have the mettle for it, it's pretty lucrative. It's a great way to be around the game and make some spare money.

With regards to FGC tournaments, it's a great way to be involved without playing. While I love to play, what drives me to be involved on the level I am, is making people happy. That's what I enjoy and what I strive for.

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
Sounds cool, but I wouldn't want all the SoCalers turning on me lol

It might be a good idea to have someone officiating who isn't participating or sponsoring the tournaments.

Noob
Sounds cool, but I wouldn't want all the SoCalers turning on me lol

It might be a good idea to have someone officiating who isn't participating or sponsoring the tournaments.
Unfortunately, it's something that you have to prepare for.

OK... let me give an example of this, quoted from my OP: -You're responsible for knowing the correct rulings for situations, NO MATTER HOW STRANGE THEY MAY BE. Think you've seen it all? Think again...

-Lets say Player X is playing Player A.

-During the match, someone watching the match, totally uninvolved with the tournament, Lets call him Fan 1, runs over to the players, reaches out and slaps Player X across the face with a giant dildo.

How do you rule this? What do you do? How will you be fair to BOTH players for an interference that they are both TOTALLY univolved in.

Does everyone also understand that WHAT Fan 1 did doesn't actually matter? The ruling would be the same regardless if he slapped one player with a dildo or if he knocked him over and teabagged him, or if he simply covered his eyes, or if he pulled the plug for his controller out. In the eyes of an official, all of them have to be looked at as "fan interference" and the ruling, regardless of HOW ABSURD the offense was, is the same. Now if the offender broke any LAWS, then that's up to Player X to choose to either press charges or not...but that has NOTHING to do with the official.

Does everyone realize, as well, that if Player A had done to Player X what was described, that the ruling would be COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, and why? This is because it's no longer "fan interference". In this scenario, no fan was involved, only one player intentionally interfering with another and because of this, the offending player must suffer consequences WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF THE GAME. It could be forfeiture of the entire match, disqualification from the entire tournament, banning from the venue, etc.

The point is, the difference in the two offenses and how they are handled.

And again... the decision that the official makes WILL piss someone off... EVEN IF they were the person doing the wrong thing.

BTW, I also purposely picked such an extremely absurd offense (slapping with a dildo) because it shows that correct judgement, regardless of what the offense actually was, must prevail. I can't make up what I would want as a consequence based on individual offenses. Interference is interference, period.