What's new

So, what are the "Shotos" of MK game?

lol At Sean not even being mentioned. Sean gets no love :( Truth be told, he would need a true projectile. Unless you count the basketball.

I look at the term "shoto" as a character that most online scrubs use... that is Ryu in SF and in MK it is most definitely Scorpion.
tbh i dont expect such a flood of online scorpions as in mk9. first because i feel many people know the game and characters better now, second because i have a gut feeling sub-Zero is gonna take that role :D

on Topic: umm the Cages :joker:

Plop

Noob
In ultimate/trilogy is say Scorpion and human smoke (maybe robo smoke too) were the shotos. Now? None

This thread is weird lol.

Let's take 3 shotos in their current form (USF4) and 3 ninjas from MK9

Ryu, Ken and Akuma share the hadouken/shoryuken/tatsu moveset. They've always had these moves no matter which Street Fighter you have played. Akuma's the only one to have special moves outside of these 3, with his demon flip and air fireball. The main thing that sets these characters apart is their playstyle (Ryu being a patient footsies character, Ken being a rushdown char and Akuma being a mix-up oriented character).

Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Reptile.

Scorpion has a spear, leg takedown, hellfire and a teleport. Sub-Zero has a freeze ball, slide, ice-clone and ground freeze. Reptile has an acid spit, 2 versions of his acid forceball, slide and elbow dash. Out of these 3 characters, only two share a single move out of them all. With their varied moveset, they of course play very differently from each other.

on the "teleports, tho" thing, let's flip that back onto SF.

Let's say in an alternate reality, Ryu/Ken/Akuma only shared the tatsu and each had insanely different movesets. Would you still call them clones? The only similarity at that point is their outfits and the one special move. Ermac, Rain and Scorpion are nowhere near clone status because of one special move.

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
tbh i dont expect such a flood of online scorpions as in mk9. first because i feel many people know the game and characters better now, second because i have a gut feeling sub-Zero is gonna take that role :D
Sub has been reduced to Scorpions punching bag since MK9 advertising started. First trailer of mkx we get is subz face cut off. Combine that with scorps and ONLY scorps being on every single peice of the game packaging in all its various forms and his added costumes. Id say its going to be even more scorpion than ever before.

I really feel they should have made the box art center around Scorp and Sub together. Would have been much cooler. Could have had a great statue of the two of them in battle and costume alts for both.

chores

bad at things
characters are certainly diverse but its not like they are completely different. there are similarities. think of any projectile that grants a combo on hit? subz, scorp, cyrax, rain. just cause they look different doesnt mean they are 100% different. imagine if ryu had his normal dp but ken's was instead he smacks the ground and fire shoots up in the air. nothing else changes, same hitbox, recovery, damage etc. -- the move still serves the same purpose

characters are certainly diverse but its not like they are completely different. there are similarities. think of any projectile that grants a combo on hit? subz, scorp, cyrax, rain. just cause they look different doesnt mean they are 100% different. imagine if ryu had his normal dp but ken's was instead he smacks the ground and fire shoots up in the air. nothing else changes, same hitbox, recovery, damage etc. -- the move still serves the same purpose
who is cyrax? you mean cyper scorpion?

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Can we stop talking like the shotos played anything alike?
I have a feeling that SF player's "different" is MK player's "alike" still.
Granted, it has a potential to slowly slip into "well, they all kick and punch" territory.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Can we stop talking like the shotos played anything alike?

On topic the closest thing you would get for shotos in MK nowadays are the base three ninjas & it's a huge stretch.
Well...they did. In WW. :v

Liu Kang is the only consistent and relevant character that fits this archetype. He's the Ryu of MK, although no one ever makes the connection because they're enamored by other characters.