What's new

Question So removing OTG Smoke bomb was pointless?

i been meaning to ask this, so they patched his OTG. Ok cool it's hurted my feeling ( since smoke was my main :wow: )

but after his MK2 outfit came, so did the OTG ( i was like :7up: when i found out)

so don't it's was pointless to remove it but just add it's right back in.

right? or am i missing something here, if so fill me in :bigsmile:

Altsa

They did not "add" it back, mk2 smoke is the "unpatched" version of smoke. Most likely they will patch the mk2 kostume as well. The mk2 kostume is banned in tournaments for that reason.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
the reason it was originally patched out was because it was unintended to be able to link air throw > smoke bomb. they should have left it though. it wasn't something absurd like any of cyrax's unintended stuff.

PeeJaeys

Sabi
I think they should reinstate we should vote on it. Lol, but players who don't play smoke, will vote no. As he is "Balanced". Debates, debates.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I think it should be back. But make it proper- i.e it should link much more easily but .... it should scale quite well.

Reason it was powerful was because it extended combos and... well it didnt scale because they did not think it could happen.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Before they removed it completely, they nerfed his damage which made it fine. By spending meter Smoke can get just as much, if not more, damage out of his highest BnB as pre-patch. The real reason otg bomb removal hurt is because it was a versatility nerf, not a damage nerf. It removed his ability to juggle for, like, 38% off of a jump kick which was pretty unique among the cast. Only Kitana can juggle off of a jump kick now.

You can still get 24% off of a jumpkick if you want to spend meter, so I guess it's not so bad. Still sucks though.

He doesn't really need the OTG not that it doesnt help. I beat people pretty consistently with smoke with free jump ins thanks to smoke bomb pressure and 312 is one of the best strings in the game.

hardwire

Noob
i agree its not that smoke cant do fine with out it but i still feel it should not have been removed it was not op or any thing

i mean if you look at it like other fighters just block

SZSR

Noob
Yeah, it wasn't exactly the easiest set-up in the game. It's comparable to the high damage that Kitana can do fans only, it helped him be top tier rather than broken tier because his high damage kept the overly aggressive characters at bay. Now, he has to use :en Shake to get them off, which coincidentally, puts you back right next to the opponent.

Jamison

Noob
Smoke needs it back, without it you are hoping for a mixup to land 3d12. The jump kick juggle and air throw juggle were key to Smoke's offense. Once a combo lands for Smoke he NEEDS the ability to punish. Block high use to fend off Smoke aggression to make Smoke players setup more unique juggle situations now with OTG removed Block high almost shuts Smoke down, making players rely on poke damage here and there, along with occasional mix up surprise BnB combos.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
He doesn't NEED it. I sure would like it back though.

Smoke has some nasty frame traps you can take advantage of, plus one of the most if not the most intense oki pressure of any character. he's not limited to just fishing for juggles with bomb or 3d12. You can get a lot of damage out of frame traps into juggles.

hardwire

Noob
He doesn't NEED it. I sure would like it back though.

Smoke has some nasty frame traps you can take advantage of, plus one of the most if not the most intense oki pressure of any character. he's not limited to just fishing for juggles with bomb or 3d12. You can get a lot of damage out of frame traps into juggles.
oh dont keep it a secret teach us

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
from the "Smoke Combos!" thread:

Ok here's what I got. This video details the inner workings of my optimal situational combos as well as my frame game. I know that knowledge of Smoke's frame traps is kind of floating around, but I wanted to compile it to some degree. Sorry about the capture quality, all I have is a webcam.

I think the most important thing to note is the behavior of the air throw > EX smoke bomb in Smoke's current version. It wasn't clear to me that these could still be linked until I spoke with Check at SB3, and I'm not really sure how widely this is known. I thought that the EX bomb otg only worked against someone lying neutral and that it was blockable. It's possible that I some how missed that memo lol.

Anyway, enjoy.

I might give this its own thread if people are having a hard time finding it.

I think that this really does warrant its own thread. This is essentially a brand new dimension of smoke play that us lowly noobs didn't even know existed until you made a video about it! A thread for it would be great I think :)

PS i'm sure you remember me whining so much about smoke. I want to put this into practice and see if I can't learn to love him again instead of just using him as my "anti-noob/stryker/ermac/i'm tilting" alt character