What's new

So is Jax good now?

Now that players like Tyrant and CD Jr have shown the world how to effectively play with Jax, do you still think he needs buffs like so many said before a month ago?

I'd be alright with 413 becoming a real launcher, however I think that he shouldn't get very big combos off of it. Maybe 25% meterless, I don't think he needs much more than that.

PND i2 Gaug3

NERF Everything, LEAVE Nothing
jax gets 29% meterless anyway with a jump in punch u trying to get him nerfed lol

ohh yea you see that low starter f4 1 3 you can knock him out of it so its not that great against good people. so its nothing to cry about

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
I'd just like to see the 1 in the 4, 1, 3 string hit people that are crouch blocking. Currently you can poke out of his 4, 1, x pressure. I'd also like to see his gotcha grab tick people that are crouch blocking to make it more of a frame trap.

I really don't think he needs anything else. His corner game should stay because its what makes him good. If they make him stronger mid screen they would need to nerf his corner game.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Umm yea why not?
Because currently you can press f4, 1, 3 -> d1 -> f4, 1, 3. It's a frame trap that is difficult for most people to poke out of especially if they don't understand that Jax is at advantage. Giving him the ability to get big combos off of it as well would make it a multipurpose tool that is way to strong, you don't apply all those properties to one string.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Because currently you can press f4, 1, 3 -> d1 -> f4, 1, 3. It's a frame trap that is difficult for most people to poke out of especially if they don't understand that Jax is at advantage. Giving him the ability to get big combos off of it as well would make it a multipurpose tool that is way to strong, you don't apply all those properties to one string.
yea i guess but couldnt they change the properties of the string because it pretty much pointless unless in the corner, also why you would guys only want 20's meterless? Thats way to little for a power grappler, thats worse than kano

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
yea i guess but couldnt they change the properties of the string because it pretty much pointless unless in the corner, also why you would guys only want 20's meterless? Thats way to little for a power grappler, thats worse than kano
Well I guess the idea is that it pushes them towards the corner which is Jax's ultimate goal. There is enough time when the string is landed to whiff a dash punch and then pressure with another f4, 1, 3 string. Low starting combos tend to destroy wake up attacks more so than anything in the game, else so this is pretty good.

saix88

Banned
You can always dash forward and do a medium ground pound or play mind games and dash cancel in to a dash punch, or cancel the string an do a gotcha grab.

MagicMan357

You can always dash forward and do a medium ground pound or play mind games and dash cancel in to a dash punch, or cancel the string an do a gotcha grab.
So im guessing Jax would be classified as a mind game punisher? Ive seen CD use him like that but i though maybe that was just his specific playing style. Ill give jax a try, i really only know his corner stuff.

btw i appreciate the mature responses, surprised someone didnt say i was trolling for asking a question lol

saix88

Banned
So im guessing Jax would be classified as a mind game punisher? Ive seen CD use him like that but i though maybe that was just his specific playing style. Ill give jax a try, i really only know his corner stuff.

btw i appreciate the mature responses, surprised someone didnt say i was trolling for asking a question lol
It really depends on your opponent and how they are playing. Reason why I say cancel in to dash punch is because it takes way to long for jax to be able to block after. Using a far gp against subzero helps a lot if they aren't fast and just hide behind an ice clone, catches them off guard and puts them on edge...but wont' stop the clones lol, I usually try to ex dp through the clone and stay in their face. *hold back when doing ex dp*

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo

Yea the idea behind his knock down are also to bait out reactions. If you are charging a ground pound this will make people want to jump, so if they jump you can dash punch them. You could also just see if they decide not to jump and let the ground pound rip then dash forward and quickly 1 dash 1 dash 1 dash 1, 2 dash punch or air gotcha grab depending on what will throw them closer to the corner or just dash punch them if you can't pull the air juggle in time.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
In response to the thread's topic:

Cd Jr and Tyrant are good.

Im much more into the Player than the character tiers

CD JR could probably place top 3 w sindel at a major

This is why I love this game. There are only a handful of characters that need to be tweaked in the balance department. That list is getting smaller as I watch players better than myself destroy with "low" tier characters.

MagicMan357

This is why I love this game. There are only a handful of characters that need to be tweaked in the balance department. That list is getting smaller as I watch players better than myself destroy with "low" tier characters.
Very true, im hoping more and more tactics are revealed and hopefully this would explain some of the weird character design

saix88

Banned
IMO just choose someone you like their play style. I've always been obsessed with Jax and can't stop using him, but I feel like I need to learn other fighters. I def just need to work on my corner kombo and I will be happy with him, but I'm pretty inconsistent, idk why sometimes I just enjoy watching mileena roll all over me lol.

I started using Jax once he got buffed w/ those Ground Pound cancels

& any character can be used at a competitive level, you just have to invest time in your charcter

as we can see CDjr put some got time into jax