What's new

So, how do you think tourneys are going to play out?

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill
If this is easily answered or already asked, my bad.

With all these variations, I imagine there is a "base fighter" to be used that will be used at most major tournaments and even smaller ones. I'd prefer to practice with those the most. Is there a set standard for like "base" characters?

Their is 2 tournament allowed variations per character. They are the variations with the cups next to them in the preset. Those are the only ones allowed in regular tournament play.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
No idea. I just know you can't use the custom variations and each character has two defaults.
It's stupidly more complicated than that for no real reason.

1: Each character has 2 default variations equipped. These are NOT the tournament variations (or at least a vast majority of them aren't)
2: Each character has 6 or so presets that you can choose from if you dont want to mix and match yourself. These are found by pressing 1 while in the Abilities section of customizing a variation.
3: Only 2 of the 6 presets found in the above list are for tournament mode. They are marked by a little trophy symbol on the left.
4: To practice or play with these tournament variations outside of ranked, you'll need to either change the defaults to the tournament presets or make new variation slots and set them to the tournament presets.

It feels like a MASSIVE oversight that the tournament / ranked variations aren't the default 2 equipped ones for every single character. It's not a HUGE deal and is quick to fix, but that doesnt change how absolutely mind boggling it is that they didnt think to line up defaults with the predetermined rank play variants.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
It's stupidly more complicated than that for no real reason.

1: Each character has 2 default variations equipped. These are NOT the tournament variations (or at least a vast majority of them aren't)
2: Each character has 6 or so presets that you can choose from if you dont want to mix and match yourself. These are found by pressing 1 while in the Abilities section of customizing a variation.
3: Only 2 of the 6 presets found in the above list are for tournament mode. They are marked by a little trophy symbol on the left.
4: To practice or play with these tournament variations outside of ranked, you'll need to either change the defaults to the tournament presets or make new variation slots and set them to the tournament presets.

It feels like a MASSIVE oversight that the tournament / ranked variations aren't the default 2 equipped ones for every single character. It's not a HUGE deal and is quick to fix, but that doesnt change how absolutely mind boggling it is that they didnt think to line up defaults with the predetermined rank play variants.
I just found this out after going through like 10 characters. Why would you default the game to shit you don't even default the actual gameplay too? How many casuals fans who just boot up the game are going to be stuck on why ranked changes every character from the one they picked when they turned the game on?

There's a few things about how this game is launching leaves me worried for the future. Especially the important first month window.

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill
Honestly, I think this is another thing that needs to be changed. There should be a preset for "competitive" matches that I'll be trying to get in on in the future.

If this is truly how this is going to work, I wonder if smaller organizers are going to realize this at all too. Because I'd assume it'd be one of the two presets the game gives you.

This is a really weird choice by NRS. I love going to small local tourneys at cons or something of the sort, so this is kinda a big ol "what the fuck were you thinking" to me.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Honestly, I think this is another thing that needs to be changed. There should be a preset for "competitive" matches that I'll be trying to get in on in the future.

If this is truly how this is going to work, I wonder if smaller organizers are going to realize this at all too. Because I'd assume it'd be one of the two presets the game gives you.

This is a really weird choice by NRS. I love going to small local tourneys at cons or something of the sort, so this is kinda a big ol "what the fuck were you thinking" to me.
There is a preset for competitive matches. When you are creating a variation, go to Abilities and press square to access the preset loadouts, and the ones with the trophy icon are the tournament variations.

It’s still dumb that you have to manually do it like this, but at least it’s there I guess?

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.

Tournament mode has everything set up. It's just not the default thing for practice, regular versus, etc for some reason.