What's new

Question - Kano So how can kano open people up ? Best strings ?

gibster13

A fan of fans
Kano is brilliant. I love all his variations. Cybernetic is my favourite. The laser is insane. However i can't do my tech on most people because i can't open them up to combo.

Any help ?
@Decay

cyke_out

Noob
In cybernetic you will struggle with opening people up in the traditional sense of high/low mix ups. You will mainly get your big damage off of punishing a risky move like a telrport or fishing for a whiff punish with b23 into laser. Luckily, his fastest frame punisher, 112, is also his most damaging combo starter. So in cybernetic, zoning should be your prinary gameplan. And take your damage opportunities when you can.

Cut throat and commander both have much better options for opening up opponents with cut throat having a legit 50/50 mix ups between b1 the overhead and b3 the low.

gibster13

A fan of fans
In cybernetic you will struggle with opening people up in the traditional sense of high/low mix ups. You will mainly get your big damage off of punishing a risky move like a telrport or fishing for a whiff punish with b23 into laser. Luckily, his fastest frame punisher, 112, is also his most damaging combo starter. So in cybernetic, zoning should be your prinary gameplan. And take your damage opportunities when you can.

Cut throat and commander both have much better options for opening up opponents with cut throat having a legit 50/50 mix ups between b1 the overhead and b3 the low.
Okay ty. i hate his overhead in cuthroat, because of how he moves back

I'm just getting into this character after overlooking him too early. It seems to me that cybernetic is more about zoning and midrange than mixups, right? He seems really solid as a zoner and hit & run type with that really fast mid knife, far ranged toward & backdashes, ability to move backward while still threatening forward with jump back ball, a good down 2, armored ex antiair ball, and, like cyke out said, the ability to whiff punish into big damage. If you want to play a pressure or mixup game, the other two variations seem like much better choices.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
The only tool I find useful in cybernetic is the knife throw. The aa laser sucks donkey balls and the straight one is not useful enough to justify this variation. Just my thoughts.

Decay

King of the Bill
Cybernetic is my favorite, you can get big damage off an air to air by hit confirming into b2,3, 2+4 MB juggle, into standing reset or end the combo with another string ending into grenade in the stomach to launch them full screen. Yes, you won't open people up easily but you can end a string with laser as a frame trap since many people are waiting for you to end a string without one and they hope to poke out. Hitting someone with laser gives you the easiest hit confirm ever, so you have a lot of time to react to wether or not they poked or let go of block. His corner combos are nice especially since they can end in the standing reset at which point you can continue pressure or read a jump out. Just like commando, cybernetic is heavy on reads and not 50/50s. I stated I'm into reads more than 50/50s and vortexes anyway.

Chrishaspads

Name isn't Chris, Doesn't have pads
Cybernetic is my favorite, you can get big damage off an air to air by hit confirming into b2,3, 2+4 MB juggle, into standing reset or end the combo with another string ending into grenade in the stomach to launch them full screen. Yes, you won't open people up easily but you can end a string with laser as a frame trap since many people are waiting for you to end a string without one and they hope to poke out. Hitting someone with laser gives you the easiest hit confirm ever, so you have a lot of time to react to wether or not they poked or let go of block. His corner combos are nice especially since they can end in the standing reset at which point you can continue pressure or read a jump out. Just like commando, cybernetic is heavy on reads and not 50/50s. I stated I'm into reads more than 50/50s and vortexes anyway.
can you list his bnb corner combo for cybernetic?

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
I agree. Cybernetics is one of the worst variations in the game. :DOGE
Didnt say that, at all. After playing cybernetic much more I gotta admit I was wrong, he's really good. Doesn't change the fact that its still easier to open people up with cutthroat.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Commando is all slow pressure, condition your opponent to be able to throw them, and occasionally throw a parry in there. This is the "Zangief" variation.

Cybernetic has a godlike knife throw, so you really don't need to open people up. Consider this variation like M.Bison, you slowly chip them away with d4~knife throws or any other shit into knife throw, and eventually they open themselves up off of pure impatience.

Cutthroat I can't comment about because I don't play it, and at that point I would be giving you false information.

All 3 variations apply pressure in different ways and it's up to you to utilize them. Commando is all about the slow reads into damage over time. Cybernetic is the constant pressure, and Commando is the 50/50. This doesn't change the fact that they all share godlike normal range. (d4, f2, 2) and godlike anti-airs (d2, upball)

The problem with Cybernetic and Commando is that they do not have overhead move, which means that if your opponent has basic knowledge of Kano's moveset he will only hold down block and u will never get in... The good part is that because Kano's combos are 0 on block you can have really strong pressure game , which still gives those two variations decent chance of winning.
For commando you only need to find best setups after the command grabs or choking.
Cant comment cybernetic because I didn't play him. But mostlikely if u can OS the laser, it can make miracles :)

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
Once you condition your opponent to block your pressure, you can just throw them regular in Cyber. As stated above, each variation applies pressure in different ways and all are valid. Its pretty amazing how distinct each one is. I say understand how you want to play and choose the best variation for your personal playstyle.

Cutthroat: Mix up central. Easiest to open the opponent by far. You wanna keep him constantly guessing, this is the one for you. You only need him to guess wrong about three times in a round.

Cybernetics: Doesn't even matter if you open him up. Just slow, even pressure throughout the rounds. You are looking to frustrate him to the point where he opens himself up trying to attack you. Also perfect for whiff punishing opponents.

Commando: Decent pressure, but you need to be able to quickly transition to command grabbing them after their conditioning kicks in. That's what I gather so far.

Grashi

Noob
So, I'm going all in with cutthroat Kano right now, so I feel like putting in my two cents. I'm totally open for criticism though.

At the moment, with the current tech I've been finding and observing, Cutthroat Kano is the better variation damage wise, pressure wise and usability.

Commando Kano is, as previously stated just your zangief style. The issue is, you're goin to be taking far too much chip damage blocking long range moves to capitalize on your throws, until more throw setups pop up.

Cybernetic Kano being played as a zoner is something that bothers me a little.Yes, his knife throw is amazing. And the eye sweep is really good for continuing short range combos. But the standing reset doesn't put you close enough to utilize what I feel is his best move, which I'll get into shortly.

Kano, across all builds has one major move that keeps him in the fight. F4. While Cutthroat Kano loses a safe long range poke from the cybernetic variant, he has a way to move in and pressure the opponent enough to condition them to block. In cybernetic, once they block then what? Throw them? Burn a bar to meterburn it for a 30 some odd% combo? The lack of an overhead just means cybernetic kano loses to crouch block and yes...forces him to zone. Something that other opponents generally can do better. Especially ones with teleports. Smart, patient players can beat this even if it is annoying. Where as Commando Kano can actually use F4 better to his advantage in combinations with d3 and d2s to keep them crouch blocking.

Cutthroat Kano is, to me, the optimal form. And I know I'm being vague simply because I want to keep the theory to a minimum lest I say something incorrect or silly. The ability to build most of your bar from pressure and generally frustrating the opponent while still having the option to make the opponent react to your decisions and not you try to take advantage of their mistakes. It removes a lot of the assumed risk, in my opinion.

As far as strings...just fool around with d2 f4 d2 d3 f4, keeping yourself in their face and see how it works out. I mean, it loses to backdash and EX moves but you get a pretty good push towards the corner.

cyke_out

Noob
I was once like you @Grashi. Blinded by cut throats damage and overhead. Too focused on silly things like mix ups and 40% damage.

But no longer. Cyber is more than just the knife and the standing reset. It's all about that b2 and that sweet sweet b1. Cyber isn't about pressure, it's about controlling every inch of the screen and making life miserable for your opponent.

Grashi

Noob
I was once like you @Grashi. Blinded by cut throats damage and overhead. Too focused on silly things like mix ups and 40% damage.

But no longer. Cyber is more than just the knife and the standing reset. It's all about that b2 and that sweet sweet b1. Cyber isn't about pressure, it's about controlling every inch of the screen and making life miserable for your opponent.

Oh, don't get me worng. I started out with Cybernetic from the get go. The only reason I even saw Cutthroat as the better variant was that he did everything my cybernetic did better. This might just be my experience. Maybe I just work better with Cutthroat than I do cybernetic. I just find that I control that same space BETTER with cutthroat.

cyke_out

Noob
Oh, don't get me worng. I started out with Cybernetic from the get go. The only reason I even saw Cutthroat as the better variant was that he did everything my cybernetic did better. This might just be my experience. Maybe I just work better with Cutthroat than I do cybernetic. I just find that I control that same space BETTER with cutthroat.
Yeah, you may just work better with it. If it fits your style of play and it's working better for you, then rock it. I stil completely think that cyber has the better control with longer better normals and specials, but if you can get cut throat to perform better in controlling space while having 50/50's and damage then you go do you.

That's the best thing about the variation system or even fighting games in general. The best character/variation might not be the best character/variation for you.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!

I def agree with you. You dont always have to go in for anything crazy. You do that to your opponent. Get tired of you sh*t so they do something unsafe. Bam. Back full screen or reset in the corner. Make em hate you.

Grashi

Noob
@cyke_out Yeah. It is a good point. Honestly, the crowd I've experienced online has had me really disappointing, but I forgot this site existed for a while XD

Still. I'd love to see some of what cybernetic kano has offered some of the other players here -- I'm not dismissing it as useless.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
So, I'm going all in with cutthroat Kano right now, so I feel like putting in my two cents. I'm totally open for criticism though.

At the moment, with the current tech I've been finding and observing, Cutthroat Kano is the better variation damage wise, pressure wise and usability.

Commando Kano is, as previously stated just your zangief style. The issue is, you're goin to be taking far too much chip damage blocking long range moves to capitalize on your throws, until more throw setups pop up.
Not sure why Commando would be that pressed to get in. If you're playing him like you would Gief, sure. Patience is the key. Knife throws if the trade off is favorable, not to mention mastering the low altitude air Kano ball would be ideal in most projectile wars.

Samsung Crunchy

Studying all of her moves
I recently picked up Kano because of catching Arturo Sanchez playing him a lot on his stream. From what I noticed, he really doesn't rush people down but insteads annoys them to the point that they start do unsafe things. He described it as, "being patient and making them come to you." A combination of knife spam and frame traps seemed very effective.

SaltyPrime

More salt please.
Honestly the reasons I picked the Cyber variation are because I suck at command grabs, and I really like the combos. Getting them with the eye laser or the hand grenade is very satisfying IMO.