What's new

SNES version of UMK3

hey guy i played umk3/mk3 on snes at a centre during late 90s...and i think that the sound quality /graphics and even the gameplay was much faster than sega's one..but few days back i downloaded the mame and got umk3 rom and the game plays fine like i saw in ur videos on utube(evo)....means same graphics..and sound...but not as good as umk3 of snes..My first que is that why does midway varied the game so much...i heard that chip can store limited data..but the cds can store more data so y such difference...
Or it is t8 only i feel d difference...

GoldenOreos said:
Snes ver is garbage and shouldnt be compared to the arcade imo
No console ports until arcade emulation (via MAME or XBL) are "worthy" in the sense of "arcade perfect"...but I loved UMK3 on the Saturn and Genesis back in the proverbial day.

Rain.Dog505 said:
No console ports until arcade emulation (via MAME or XBL) are "worthy" in the sense of "arcade perfect"...but I loved UMK3 on the Saturn and Genesis back in the proverbial day.
..i owned genesis..but the SNES version was more appealing 4 me..genesis gameplay was slow and the pad of snes was gud than former..well which is better XBL or MAME...i wanna play on pc what is best for me..
My pc details ..
Win7/AMD Ath 64 4800+/AMD 780G..integrated 256 MB ram/2 GB ram/Ati graph soft latest...plz suggest me..

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
johnyquest said:
...plz give reason....not be superficial...
  • Poor graphics
  • Lack of voices
  • Broken combos
That's just for starters. If we are going to talk about the Genesis version, it's practically unplayable with only 3 buttons.

DCIguy said:
  • Poor graphics
  • Lack of voices
  • Broken combos
That's just for starters. If we are going to talk about the Genesis version, it's practically unplayable with only 3 buttons.
sorry it was megadrive 6 buttons..

johnyquest said:
..i owned genesis..but the SNES version was more appealing 4 me..genesis gameplay was slow and the pad of snes was gud than former..well which is better XBL or MAME...i wanna play on pc what is best for me..
My pc details ..
Win7/AMD Ath 64 4800+/AMD 780G..integrated 256 MB ram/2 GB ram/Ati graph soft latest...plz suggest me..
I'm having some troubles understanding your question. I'm going to guess that by posting your PC specs you are asking if your computer can handle UMK3 MAME...and the answer to that is a reassuring YES. Barring the polygonal fighters of the late 1990s (Killer Instinct, Soul Calibur, MK4), MAME will work fine on most computers manufactured today. Even my shitty old laptop with a throw-a-way intergrated video card had ZERO troubles playing MKII/UMK3 on MAME.

Due to licensing issues that arose out of Midway's closure, UMK3 is no long avaliable on XBLA. If you are crafty, you might be able to find copies through other means. I personally would recommend MAME for two reasons:

1) Juggernaut Hack--which you can find under the UMK3 forums on this site
2) Kaillera Online Play--I find the competition on Kaillera to be both more contentious and personable than the cesspools that are XBL/PSN. With that being said, Kaillera is no where near as stable or outright user friend...but you'll learn to love/tolerate it soon enough.

PM if you need any help hoping online with MAME
cheers

Noob
The SNES version has some serious problems.

-First and foremost is it's resolution.
-The screen to character size ratio is way off.
-This causes some SERIOUS collision problems.
-Characters are constantly pushed too far away during combos making some combos difficult/impossible

-The corners in the game are very large. Corner combos are EXTREMELY difficult due to this.

Tim Static

Adminerator
9.95 said:
The SNES version has some serious problems.

-First and foremost is it's resolution.
-The screen to character size ratio is way off.
-This causes some SERIOUS collision problems.
-Characters are constantly pushed too far away during combos making some combos difficult/impossible

-The corners in the game are very large. Corner combos are EXTREMELY difficult due to this.
This foremost, a long with most of what was said above.

PS- the XBL port isnt on the level of a Mame emu or especially, the actual arcade jamma board.

BeRB

Noob
Tim Static said:
This foremost, a long with most of what was said above.

PS- the XBL port isnt on the level of a Mame emu or especially, the actual arcade jamma board.
I would say how ever tim compared to any other console port of UMK3 XBL has the best console port.

But mame is the current way to go!

Curiosly i wanted to know t8 was midway providing a manual with the cartridge back in the days when Internet was not profound...I remembered a an snes owner offered a xerox of the manual for a few bucks ..it had all the basics..few juggles..terminology was easy....not of the level of this day or forum..but it did not included cheat codes nor the xxx-xxx codes..i doubt it was original..but if it wasnt then it was a pure classic according to country i live..india

Tim Static

Adminerator
BeRB said:
I would say how ever tim compared to any other console port of UMK3 XBL has the best console port.

But mame is the current way to go!
Sure but thats like 9.95 and me discussing who's shit smells best ;)

BeRB

Noob
Tim Static said:
Sure but thats like 9.95 and me discussing who's shit smells best ;)
But if he want's to play a consolized version and not mame it's the best smelling shit.

I didn't mind the UMK3 SNES port too much. The sprites are very small, missing voices, missing character (Sheeva), etc. It was fast enough for me, so I enjoyed it. I haven't played it much since I started emulating 1.2, however — controller or no.