What's new

General/Other Smoke = Ultimate Poke Trainer

I just recently picked up Smoke because of his fairly easy reset and whatnot and I love him. I love his pressure, and what I love most of all is to make projectile spammers squirm, but I thought he was going to be too predictable since he has no low combo starter....... I was wrong. I learn about the beauty of poking!! It's quick and give frame advantage, and it annoys the heck out of everyone haha. So for those who don't really poke, pick up Smoke (A character who you kind of have to rely on pokes for lows) and learn to.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Cool but most everyone knows that smokes pokes are good in this community
Thanks for the post though

Picking up characters due to glitches allowing unfair advantages is poor reasoning. He's losing the reset in a hotfix soon. However I do encourage you to continue playing him anyways ;)

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Poking is a great habit in MK9 in general, but I rarely see other characters poke as much as I think should be done.

I've been cheating on Smoke with Kabal lately and people don't know what the fuck to do because I keep d1, d4, and sweeping them.

It's like when people play characters with good rushdown game they have no finesse with their offense; there is little that can stop them from just walking up to you and throwing attacks.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
the whole of smokes up close game comes from poking and trapping with mixups, which isnt the case with other characters which have low starters to mix with. The only problem with this is that you can jump out from pokes with a relatively large success rate, but low starting strings obviously you shouldnt be able to (see lui kang b312). His mid/far game is something that reflects how poke heavy smoke is, even his smoke bomb is a poke to some extent. It works in a very similar way atleast, it builds pressure and forces a reaction (blocking usually and most easily) and if they dont react then you get the damage, Just as if somebody stood and took 50 D4's without blocking. The fact that you have a turbo overhead and a turbo teleport work in great effect with both of these:
You poke with D1,d3,d4 then the enemy either jumps out or ducks, if they jump out you can anti air them (with practice) by predicting the jump, and if they duck well you judo chop them in the face for a full combo, which ends in whiffed TP leaving you back in poke range or stomp range to meaty string their wake ups. Smokes play is all based on enemy reactions and your own predictions and reads to these leaving you with a win.