DB2 = Up Ball = 10%
On Block = -27
DB1 = Blade Slice = 7%
On Block= -9
DD3 = Power Up = N/A
On Block = -39
Notable String/Normals: D2 = 7 = Low
On Block = -7 On Hit = -18
Purpose: A deceptively long range poke. Special canceable.
112 = 7 = High, High, Mid
On Block = -1 On Hit = 6
Purpose: Fast start up and able to punish low recovery moves.
B121 = 12 = O.H, Mid, Mid
On Block = 0 On Hit = 20
Purpose: The only standing overhead in all of his variations, it creates 50/50 situations that start damaging combos after special canceling. It is also completely safe on block.
F212 = 11 = Mid, Mid, Mid
On Block = -9 On Hit = 54
Purpose: A quick string to punish moves. It is also a great way to start easy combos.
B31 = 13 = Low, Mid
On Block = 0 On Hit = 16
Purpose: This low into mid starts off combos. Once you are able to get into an opponent's reach, you can mix it up between his overhead or this low to start off your combos. It is also safe on block.
B312 = 13 = Low, Mid, Mid
On Block = -8 On Hit = 54
Purpose: Adding another normal adds an element of surprise. If you can condition the opponent into thinking you only go to b31 because it's 0 on block, you can add in another normal to catch them off guard. Not special canceable.

Kombos: Meterless
B121, BF3 = 18%
112, BF3 = 19%
B31, BF3 = 15%
F212, F212, F4, BF3 = 29%
F212, NJP2, FJP2, BF3 = 25%
F212, F212, Run, 112, BF3 = 30%

Meterless Corner
B121, DF2, 11, 112, BF3 = 31%
B312, B121, BF3 = 29%
B312, 11, B31, DB2 = 27%
F212, NJP2, D2, 112, BF3 = 35%

Meter
112, MB DB1, F212, F4 xx BF3 = 36%
B12, MB DB1, F212, F4 xx BF3 = 35%
B31, MB DB1, F212, F4 xx BF3 = 33%

Meter In Corner
B312, B121, MB DB1, JI1, 32, BF3 = 40%
F212, NJP2, B31, MB DB1, B31, BF3
B312, 112, MB DB1, NJP2, 112, BF3 = 42%

Pressure/Shenanigans: When spaced correctly, his kano ball from the air goes low. So right after a knockdown, you can use that to your advantage if your opponent is not blocking low. If they are expecting it, then you can meter burn the move to make it a grab. He reminds me alot of Blanka. To create 50/50s, meter burn your knife throw and dash in. Now you have the chance to go overhead or low. The third and fourth option would be to bait out their reversal or dash up grab.

Why Play Kano: He is an amazing character. Between his good normals that are all safe on block and can be canceled to an even safer special, he is a jack of all trades that is neither complete rushdown or complete zoning. All of his normals are fairly long range which only makes him one of the more stronger footsie characters in the game. His down 4 can not be punished and can be canceled almost like cr.forward into fireball like Ryu. However, it is not a true block string. Besides his normals, his combo game is fairly simple and although it's not like some characters who can rack up 45% meterless, he can deal respectable damage anywhere on screen. His pressure game only makes him more of a threat since meter burning his knives gives you enough frame advantage -can rack up an easy 48% combo just by guessing right. Lastly, if you have trouble with zoners. Remember this. His MB BF 3 goes through projectiles and you can press down down to combo off of. Kano is truly a force to be reckon with.

Pros: Amazing forward/back dash
Fairly safe projectile
Deceptively long reaching normals
Amazing meter burned reversal that you can combo off of
Able to create 50/50's through meter burning his knife throw

Cons: Only one overhead
Very honest and footsie based character
Able to low profile move/special to punish his knives

Here's a video:

FrozenSun

Just a miserable pile of secrets.
Excellent guide thank you !

I have some questions though,

When you throw your EX knives your at +10 as written in the frame data. You suggest to dash and apply Kano 50/50 (B1/B3) but is it frame trap? Will people be able to hit Kano after his dash if I'm going for the mix up, should I choose between dash block and dash mix up? How much frame advantage do we loose after the dash?

QCB1 (the big gutting knife move) without an EX is said to be +10 on hit. Can we apply the same type of pressure (Dash etc.) then ??

Thx

Cinnabun

Noob
I thought ex knives were +7 to be honest, but dashing in yields 4 results. He will block throw reversal or move. If he tries to jump or go back, he will get hit if you pressed a button. If he has meter, thats the only reliable way of getting you off him. He can't reversal without meter. You definitely have to get a read on your opponent. You can grab if hes expecting a mixup too. Well the qcb1 is minus on block. Hit is different. That's why I didn't suggest it because I got hit with a 46% combo today from an input error qcb1. Haha.

FrozenSun

Just a miserable pile of secrets.
Okay thanks !
Of course I won't advice throwing qcb1 at random but since you can replace the Kano Ball with it on meterless small combo I was wondering if it was worth loosing some damage to gain momentum.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Phenomenal guide!!! This is good shit right here. Going to the lab to apply this to my Kano.