What's new

Strategy Skarlet's D4

ryublaze

Noob
Not sure if anyone knows this already but Skarlet's D4 can pick the opponent back up from the ground after being knocked down like a D3. Jade's D4 is the same. I don't know if any other character can do this as I haven't tested with the whole cast. This isn't like Scorpion's D3 after 2nd Spear tech where it eliminates wake-up attacks, but if you see the opponent lying on the ground then use D4. I think this can be really good against characters like Quan Chi and Sektor.

I guess this is just another good reason why Skarlet players should use D4, Red Slide more. For anyone who doesn't know, the opponent cannot jump out or poke out of D4, Red Slide (not that I'm aware of) and it gives Skarlet her Slide/Down Slash mix-up game without the 1, 1, 2 ender.

EDIT: Ahh I guess every character can D4 to pick the opponent back up but Skarlet's seems easier to do than other characters.

ryublaze

Noob
I guess this wasn't that new. :/

Something else I want to point out is that whenever you are ending a combo with 1, 1, 2 if you Red Dash, Red Slide, the Slide will only do 3% damage on hit and 2% on block. However, if you do a naked Red Dash then use D4 into Red Dash, Red Slide, you can get 3% from D4 on hit and 8% from Slide on hit (0% and 2% on block). She also gets tiny meter from a blocked D4 and she can go into her D4, Red Dash mix-up game. If you do this, you are losing the guaranteed throw attempt but I believe this is what Skarlet should be doing instead of going straight for a Red Dash, Red Slide after 1, 1, 2.

If you look at the Frame Data, D4 after 1, 1, 2, Red Dash must be blocked. After naked Red Dash you are still at +8 so you can use D4 without getting poked out/jumped out of. I don't know if the opponent can armor through this so if someone can please clarify that'd be great.

EDIT: You can actually do 1, 1, 4 instead of D4. Look at the "Why you shouldn't block high against Skarlet" topic.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?

Something else I want to point out is that whenever you are ending a combo with 1, 1, 2 if you Red Dash, Red Slide, the Slide will only do 3% damage on hit and 2% on block. However, if you do a naked Red Dash then use D4 into Red Dash, Red Slide, you can get 3% from D4 on hit and 8% from Slide on hit (0% and 2% on block). She also gets tiny meter from a blocked D4 and she can go into her D4, Red Dash mix-up game. If you do this, you are losing the guaranteed throw attempt but I believe this is what Skarlet should be doing instead of going straight for a Red Dash, Red Slide after 1, 1, 2.

If you look at the Frame Data, D4 after 1, 1, 2, Red Dash must be blocked. After naked Red Dash you are still at +8 so you can use D4 without getting poked out/jumped out of. I don't know if the opponent can armor through this so if someone can please clarify that'd be great.
Interesting on the 1,1,2 D4 jail. I'll try and test this out.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game

If the d4 is free, can't you do 112 RD, f33 RD slide? If the d4 jails then the f3 should too right?

ryublaze

Noob
If the d4 is free, can't you do 112 RD, f33 RD slide? If the d4 jails then the f3 should too right?
f3's execution is 19 frames so the opponent should be able to poke you out of it.

I'm looking through the frame data again and it looks like 1, 1, 2 or 1, 1, 4 might be the better option than D4. I'm testing it against Mileena who has a low hitbox and at the end of a combo ending with 1, 1, 2, Red Dash you can hit her with 1 whether she's crouch blocking or in neutral crouch. So she'll be getting 3 more hits on block. :)

Plus if 1 catches the opponent in stand block you can confirm to do EX Dagger at the end of 1, 1, 2 or 1, 1, 4 into another blockstring.

jip, F2, 1, 2, 1+2, Red Dash, Up Slash, dash, 2, Dagger Toss (cancel), 1, 1, 2, Red Dash, 1, 1, 4, EX Dagger (cancel), F2, 1, 2, 1+2, Red Dash, Red Slide (35% + 16% chip = 51%) All of this just because your opponent chooses to block high at the end of 1, 1, 2.

EDIT: Low hitbox characters can neutral crouch or crouch block 1 after 1, 1, 2 only if the 1, 1, 2 hits opponent close to the ground. I'm not sure how else to explain this...but the higher up your opponent is when hitting him with 1, 1, 2, the more hit advantage you'll have afterwards.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Her d4 into red dash is so good. I would say that mixes of d1, d3, and d4, canceled to dash is what gives her the best footsies in the game. People forget about these when talking about her jailing dagger strings... you don't have to repeat that same tactic, you have the best footsies to rely on to shake things up. If they want to neutral crouch or try to poke you out of your 114 pressure but you switch to footsies, they will be destroyed by the footsies. This in turn opens up opportunities for her EX Downdagger. You can train them to think that there is a second hit coming after ever d4, then the rest of her game opens up. This is yet another example of how Skarlet needs to use all of her tools in order to be successful with any of her tools.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
BTW, her d4 canceled to red dash is an option select too. If you want to play street fighter like footsies against your opponent. try for maximum distance d4 and input the d,f,3, if the d4 connects the red dash will come out, if the d4 whiffs the red dash doesn't come out. Its a really fun way to play this character.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Great option after any knockdown is d4 RD. slide if you want or 114 lockdown...it's up to you. But she can get lots of damage by doing d4 rd slide over and over again till they block low or guess right with a wakeup. That's when eh DS comes in handy.

I havnt played in a few days and I'm eager to play again.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
EDIT: Ahh I guess every character can D4 to pick the opponent back up but Skarlet's seems easier to do than other characters.
even if this isnt new and that all chars can do so, its a underused strategy against "sleepers" so its good more people are taking about it, baraka for example can pick you up off the ground with his sweep(B4) into a +11 frame trap setup

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Great option after any knockdown is d4 RD. slide if you want or 114 lockdown...it's up to you. But she can get lots of damage by doing d4 rd slide over and over again till they block low or guess right with a wakeup. That's when eh DS comes in handy.

I havnt played in a few days and I'm eager to play again.
I Agree with everyone in this post, why isin't skarlet a Top tier?

Most of the characters are forced to block low, just do keep guessing if an EX DS will come out on the next Red Dash execution.

One of the things i'm digging into this character is the fact that it doesn't matter if you're blocking, Skarlet's players can take damage while they're blocking with afraid of getting hit by slides or EX DSlashes. And as long they're staying on Block, She is building meter, and with good mixups taking at least 10% of damage continuously.

I'm currently conditioning myself to be able to cancel her block pressures to another block pressures, keeping them on block forverer haha

Ninj

I Agree with everyone in this post, why isin't skarlet a Top tier?

Most of the characters are forced to block low, just do keep guessing if an EX DS will come out on the next Red Dash execution.

One of the things i'm digging into this character is the fact that it doesn't matter if you're blocking, Skarlet's players can take damage while they're blocking with afraid of getting hit by slides or EX DSlashes. And as long they're staying on Block, She is building meter, and with good mixups taking at least 10% of damage continuously.

I'm currently conditioning myself to be able to cancel her block pressures to another block pressures, keeping them on block forverer haha
Skarlet doesn't have a block infinite, sorry :)

Hopefully someone can show Skarlet is indeed top tier soon.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
No no
Skarlet doesn't have a block infinite, sorry :)

Hopefully someone can show Skarlet is indeed top tier soon.
No no:eek: its not infinite but, if he is so scared any hit you while he is blocking will be pretty useful, i have a few matches with this example of taking damage while he guards, i will upload later on the night ^^

Ninj

No no

No no:eek: its not infinite but, if he is so scared any hit you while he is blocking will be pretty useful, i have a few matches with this example of taking damage while he guards, i will upload later on the night ^^
It's not as powerful as you make it out to be against an opponent who knows the Skarlet matchup - that said, a JiP into Flesh & Blood with the opponent jailed high-blocking does lead to an important guessing game for your opponent, and if they guess wrong they get put into a reset, if they don't guess, Skarlet gets another free blockstring if you're doing it right.