What's new

Breakthrough Skarlet Video Explaination

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I think you summarised the character very well, I just wish more people played her because I totally need more experience in the matchup.

Flagg

Noob
I think Skarlet is the most underrated character in the game.

Sooner or later, someone is going to take the time and be super patient with this character and then use her to her full potential. I think she could be better than Sonya.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
wow, excellent work, Glue, your videos, generally, are very cool , well explained, and very interesting. :D

yep, Skarlet seems to be one of the most technical fighters to learn, hard to master, with a challenging learning curve. I love this red bitch, she is way underrated in this game, hehe :p

Dann

Noob
Great video man. Standing resets, high damage combos, crazy chip damage, massive meter building and she nullifies all zoning and wake up attacks?!?! what else can you ask for? This character is broken lol. Yeah she's defiantly top tier. I hope this is Tom Brady's new secret character.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Wow. I was literally thinking about how I don't know anything about this character because I rarely fight her and never downloaded her. Skimmed through the threads, and saw this. xD

Faded Dreams V

About her EX shenanigans going through characters' wake up attacks, does it also go through other characters' armor moves?

I remember playing Shujinkydink. He did that armor dash thing with Skarlet, and I did Kenshi's EX Rising Karma on contact, but she penetrated through it and continued a long ass combo. Happened more than once. Only character that's been able to do that to me. D:

Deity

Noob
About her EX shenanigans going through characters' wake up attacks, does it also go through other characters' armor moves?

I remember playing Shujinkydink. He did that armor dash thing with Skarlet, and I did Kenshi's EX Rising Karma on contact, but she penetrated through it and continued a long ass combo. Happened more than once. Only character that's been able to do that to me. D:
Her Armor has priority until she does an attack. Better than all armor moves except Jade's glow

Faded Dreams V

Her Armor has priority until she does an attack. Better than all armor moves except Jade's glow
That's pretty awesome.

There was also a match where Kenshi's reflect did not reflect ANY of her daggers. That was bs. lol.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I just told my friends I'd be looking into Skarlet and these videos and your write up of the character is just the motivation I needed. Thanks for taking the time to do this for us Glue. I hope I speak for everyone who reads/watches these threads when I say its very much appreciated.

EDIT: lol @ about 2 min into the second vid. "Thank CHRIST for that".

Deity

Noob
That's pretty awesome.

There was also a match where Kenshi's reflect did not reflect ANY of her daggers. That was bs. lol.
same with NW's reflect. If she throws a dagger and it gets reflected, she can just cancel and throw another and the first will disappear as it hits the second. I wonder how well NW and Kenshi do vs Skarlet.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
I remember playing Shujinkydink. He did that armor dash thing with Skarlet, and I did Kenshi's EX Rising Karma on contact

Skarlet's EX Dash is not always going to win out against all EX moves. Most of the time you can count on it to move through anything, however, with Kenshi's quick EX Karma's, particularly the one that launches you across the screen, he gets 2 hits in fast - this kind of attack sometimes knocks Skarlet out of her EX Dash. I've also seen Kitana's EX kick knock me out of EX Dash. But other times I move through them. So just keep that in mind.

That said, I swear by EX Dash - best move in the game. Once you get launched into a corner reset because Skarlet flew through whatever your wakeup was and punishes you for a 50% reset into a guessing game, you'll swear by (or at) it too :)

B W1zZ

Noob
Excellent videos. I knew Skarlet was very good after having played against Detroitballn's Skarlet; that on top of these videos inspired me to pick her up, which I literally did today.

She does seem to have a higher execution requirement than most characters but so far I'm enjoying her fast pace and overall style. I think she could potentially be top 5 as well but there haven't really been many Skarlet's in tournaments so it's hard to say.

Anyways two thumbs up on the videos! Very helpful and informative :D I hope you can cover some of the stuff that you missed in future videos.

One thing I noticed is the combo JIP into B2, DB2, dash U3 dagger, dash 2 dagger cancel, 112 reset...I replaced the 2 with a standing 3 and it gave me 1% more damage, although the 2 seems like a faster alternative.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
+1 NinJ. skarlet ex-dash get fucked by the ex-superkick's Rain.

Also, there is one top guy playing Skarlet => detroitnball.

http://fr.twitch.tv/kombatnetwork/b/304263829

At 43min45, vs Kenshi.

Also, everyone knows that skarlet can be top tier, but I'm agree, if we don't see her a lot it is just because she is very hard to play, her metagame is hard to get.

About the anti-wake up, I think the best way to break it is still another red dash slide :p

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Speaking of meter build with the f212,1+2 then ex dagger cancel string. With full meter Skarlet can do the string 5 times because she builds 2 bars over the course of spending 3. I think cage can f33 then ex forceball 4 times cause he builds 1 bar over the course of spending 3. Skarlet builds 2 back and does way more chip damage. So that further proves the point that if the opponent thinks they can just stand block they will be destroyed further.

BTW I do realize that she can be poked out of this so its not rune trap like, its just an example of how much meter it builds.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
This is also why I think Skarlet has bad design. I knew it from the very beginning. Her Red Dash is more devastating than a Sonya cartwheel.But if you took out the armor, it'd be underpowered.

Good stuff Glue.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
This is also why I think Skarlet has bad design. I knew it from the very beginning. Her Red Dash is more devastating than a Sonya cartwheel.But if you took out the armor, it'd be underpowered.

Good stuff Glue.
I don't understand your point here - 'if they made the skill different, it'd be different'? True, it would be. However, they're not going to. So...? Red Dash rocks. There's no if's and's or but's about it.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I don't understand your point here - 'if they made the skill different, it'd be different'? True, it would be. However, they're not going to. So...? Red Dash rocks. There's no if's and's or but's about it.
No.My point was that the Red Dash is bad design.It's either OP'd or UP'd.It can't be balanced.