What's new

Sinestro's best use of trait

This will be my first post on tym. I am very new to the fighting game scene (only had this game a month or so). I know I am new, but I would like to think that I am above average intelligence and am picking up Sinestro quite quickly. This is the first fighting game that I have really gotte into and it's awesome! My main is, of course, Sinestro.

I am sorry if this has already been discussed or there is a Sinestro thread dedicated to this topic already. I could not find one so that is why I am starting this one.

That being said, I would like to know people's opinions (preferably only good proven Sinestro players) on how to incorporate trait? I know there are many options, but the main thing I am looking for are strings with trait to practice for example: Air axe, trait shot, b3, ji3, b12, ji2 to start vortex.....b2, trait shot, b3. Strings such as these are ones that I am looking for. I often do b13, trait shot, b3 online because I find b13, b3 inconsistent online depending on connection.

One more question I have is exactly when are you suppose to use trait within a vortex. Is it best to use a trait shot right before fake cross up air axe or right before j3 crossup hits. I am wondering EXACTLY when trait shot is used or if it even should be used in vortex?

Sorry I am not real familiar with all the good Sinestro players so don't get offended if I don't list your name below:
@WoundCowboy
@AK Pig Of The Hut

LEGEND

YES!
This will be my first post on tym. I am very new to the fighting game scene (only had this game a month or so). I know I am new, but I would like to think that I am above average intelligence and am picking up Sinestro quite quickly. This is the first fighting game that I have really gotte into and it's awesome! My main is, of course, Sinestro.

I am sorry if this has already been discussed or there is a Sinestro thread dedicated to this topic already. I could not find one so that is why I am starting this one.

That being said, I would like to know people's opinions (preferably only good proven Sinestro players) on how to incorporate trait? I know there are many options, but the main thing I am looking for are strings with trait to practice for example: Air axe, trait shot, b3, ji3, b12, ji2 to start vortex.....b2, trait shot, b3. Strings such as these are ones that I am looking for. I often do b13, trait shot, b3 online because I find b13, b3 inconsistent online depending on connection.

One more question I have is exactly when are you suppose to use trait within a vortex. Is it best to use a trait shot right before fake cross up air axe or right before j3 crossup hits. I am wondering EXACTLY when trait shot is used or if it even should be used in vortex?

Sorry I am not real familiar with all the good Sinestro players so don't get offended if I don't list your name below:
@WoundCowboy
@AK Pig Of The Hut
So you are only looking for trait shot to extend combos, or just how to use it in general?

anyway you already got the important ones, Others would be like after an Air to Air or J3

i wouldn't use the trait shot mid vortex, only use it to extend the damage if you hit someone with the vortex

if you want to use trait to make the B13, B3 combo easier you might as well go for B13, J3, 4, B3

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
I use it to make everything I do that is unsafe (arachnid, d2 (when they are close), whiffed attacks, ect.) safe. Generally when this happens you can immediately get a d2 into b12 vortex. I also use it for more damage on the vortex if they are toward the end of their life bar such as air axe, trait, b3, j3, b12, shackle. It really depends on the situation but you should almost never use it as a combo extender because it's been proven that it is the most inefficient use of trait.

More to come.

So you are only looking for trait shot to extend combos, or just how to use it in general?

anyway you already got the important ones, Others would be like after an Air to Air or J3

i wouldn't use the trait shot mid vortex, only use it to extend the damage if you hit someone with the vortex

if you want to use trait to make the B13, B3 combo easier you might as well go for B13, J3, 4, B3
Thank you very much for the response Legend! I like the idea of B13, J3, 4, B3....thanks. Does J3, 4, b3 work? It seems like J3, 4 wouldn't get the opponent high enough off the ground to follow with b3 but I am just thinking off the top of my head here.

What are the top 5 matchups to focus on (priority #1) getting trait up? What are the bottom 5 matchups (trait lowest priority)?

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
#1 is easily aquaman, but you should do your best to get it out every match.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
What are the top 5 matchups to focus on (priority #1) getting trait up? What are the bottom 5 matchups (trait lowest priority)?
Top 5 (npo)
Martian
Aquaman
Batman
Scorpion
Zatanna

Bottom 5:
Deathstroke
Lex
Grundy
Hawkgirl
Doomsday

Keep in mind that in general it always helps to have it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Hey I am not claiming to invent tech or anything like that, but I was just testing out some trait usage. I know everyone knows b2, 4, b3 works. But I was testing and found that b21, 4, b3 works as well. The timing is more important and a little more strict, but after a few attempts I got it to work! Did you guys know about this? And if so, is it viable?

LEGEND

YES!
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Hey I am not claiming to invent tech or anything like that, but I was just testing out some trait usage. I know everyone knows b2, 4, b3 works. But I was testing and found that b21, 4, b3 works as well. The timing is more important and a little more strict, but after a few attempts I got it to work! Did you guys know about this? And if so, is it viable?
yes

logic for using just B2 instead is that it is
A) easier
B) B2 is punishable on block so with trait you can bait them to act on it and punish them for it
C) B2 doesn't need trait to confirm into a combo

Sinestro's primary objective with trait is to allow himself to escape the corner via throw traps or cross ups, after that is to zone and finally it is to rush down.

If your looking for a trait midscreen combo with optimum damage off of B13
(One trait shot) B13, J3,Trait shot, b3, j2, B2 shackles.

(Two trait shot) B13, J3, Trait shot, B3, j3, trait shot, early b1 shackles

(Three trait shot) B13, J3 trait shot, J2 trait shot, b3, j3 trait shot, early b1shackles. A little hard timing.

All of the combos are pass 37%. With 111 arachnid sting as ender.
He can do 60% midscreen with trait I believe.
I mainly use trait for bigger damage or to make things that is unsafe safe

RIF

Noob
The answer should always be....it depends.

- If you have the opponent in the vortex and land a jump-over 3, use a follow up AoT -> Trait combo to score 39%. If this 1 trait shot combo closes out the round, it's a good use of resources.

- If you're in the corner against Bane and are trying to get out of his armor vortex, use it.

- If you are locked down by pressure in the corner and want to make space, use the pushblock + trait tech to send the opponent full screen.

- If you are applying pressure and you've baited the opponent to hitting a button, use it to score a combo and put them into a vortex.

- If you are about to lose a MB B3 clash, using your trait shot to blow through the armor might be wise.

- If you want to get a quick 19% un-blockable to (possibly) condition your opponent for further pressure w/trait later in the set, do so. (Or use @P2W 's corner unblockable setup)

- If the opponent has used his clash and you can close out the the game with a big combo that uses multiple trait shots, do it.

- If your opponent is guessing correctly on your vortex cross-ups, using trait to add an extra layer to the mix-up game can give the opponent something else to respect.

- If you've misread the opponent and you need to make yourself safe, use it.

- If you've landed a combo on an opponent that has average mobility and you're on your last trait shot, use it to end a combo and recharge. Depending on the distance between combatants AND the character you are facing, you might be able to get a full charge.

The list is endless. There is no one right answer. Trait is pivotal to his game and using it properly is one of the best ways to level up your Sinestro play.