What's new

Question - Pumped Up Should I Use Pumped Up?

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
So I just recently picked up Jax probably like a week ago,if that, and after looking through, watching competitive players, and playing against Jax for over a year now, should I even use this variation? I know all OTG's got nerfed (over nerfed if you ask me) and it seems useless for jax. It's reactable as hell and the air ground pound catches people off guard every once in a while. So basically I'm using pumped up for the super gotcha grab. Is that even worth it? Should I just pick up Wrestler or Heavy Weapons? Let me know and if you have any reason why you prefer Pumped Up please explain

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
There's ways you can make the air ground pound unreactable.
Press up on left stick, and down down on the d-pad to do an instant air ground pound, one of the best zoning tools in the game.
Make them fear it, bait them to jump, then down 2 or energy wave anti-air for big OTG pickups (which are still large.)
What reeeeeealy hurt Pumped Up is changng down + 3 from plus 1 on block to minus 2... that was my pressure button, why did they kill it.
The other Jax's have other means of pressure or have a command grab that invalidates pressure. Pumped Up's pressure got wrecked.

Reactions: GAV

TheGangstaFace

There's ways you can make the air ground pound unreactable.
Press up on left stick, and down down on the d-pad to do an instant air ground pound, one of the best zoning tools in the game.
Make them fear it, bait them to jump, then down 2 or energy wave anti-air for big OTG pickups (which are still large.)
What reeeeeealy hurt Pumped Up is changng down + 3 from plus 1 on block to minus 2... that was my pressure button, why did they kill it.
The other Jax's have other means of pressure or have a command grab that invalidates pressure. Pumped Up's pressure got wrecked.
I'm trying that up on the left stick and down on the pad, that shit is hard lmao. Also yeah I don't think Paulo realizes nerfing a general move it effects all variations

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
I'm trying that up on the left stick and down on the pad, that shit is hard lmao. Also yeah I don't think Paulo realizes nerfing a general move it effects all variations
I use my right hand for the left stick input, then move it back to 4 just in time.

Down 2

Noob
I've played Jax since release and always played Wrestler and Heavy Weapons and always said Pumped up was garbage but, I've actually found my self playing Pumped up more now. Confirms into gotcha grab always put you in a perfect situation for Jax and add a lot to his meter less damage while the air ground pound gives Jax something to use in the air and is a great mind game tool. I kinda regret not looking more into pumped up in the beginning.

TheGangstaFace

I've played Jax since release and always played Wrestler and Heavy Weapons and always said Pumped up was garbage but, I've actually found my self playing Pumped up more now. Confirms into gotcha grab always put you in a perfect situation for Jax and add a lot to his meter less damage while the air ground pound gives Jax something to use in the air and is a great mind game tool. I kinda regret not looking more into pumped up in the beginning.
Yeah I really love the restand aspect in the corner. 40% meterless into a restand

Down 2

Noob
Yeah I really love the restand aspect in the corner. 40% meterless into a restand
In the corner he becomes very scary also I forgot to mention that his keep away is improved especially with his ability to hit an EX ground pound off of an energy wave that hit the opponent in the air.

TheGangstaFace

In the corner he becomes very scary also I forgot to mention that his keep away is improved especially with his ability to hit an EX ground pound off of an energy wave that hit the opponent in the air.
Wow I didn't even notice that, thanks for the tip

SamZ

Noob
Pumped up is really fun and simple. His GG grab isn't safe and slower, and even though people still aren't punishing it much, I dont recommend throwing it out to check people like you can in HW and WRS. Pumped up is the bare bones Jax imo, having said that he has some good mind games with the re-stand in the corner, and decent mind games with zoning as already mentioned. His EX Gotcha is also a strong AA for good damage, which is another option he doesn't have in the other 2 variations. It MIGHT be the weaker of the three variations, but it's still fun and plenty competitive. I say PLAY IT!

I'll be free to quote @Vigilante24 cause he explained it very good in Jax general discussion thread:

Wrestler is clearly the best variation. Tbh I feel Heavy Weapons and Pumped Up are tied. Heavy Weapons has the better pressure especially with Gotcha Grab only being -4 (it's probably safer than that tbh) while Pumped Up has a better fullscreen game. Look at Karokelove's guide to Pumped Up zoning mindgames.

For me, im actually a Pumped Up main so ive put some time into this character. I only pick Wrester for certain MUs where I need to get in and fuck shit up. Heavy Weapons I play for casuals. I like the utility that Pumped Up offers:

- 22% armored antiairs with EX Super Gotcha man!! Better than 13%.
- Tho nerfed by 4% (Down from 37% to 33%) Pumped Up still gets most damage off reversal/wakeup EX OH Punch. That is still respectable damage.
- Ive just started using a technique involving dpad and left analog stick to improve my insta air ground pounds as a pad player. Makes them much harder to react to forcing certain characters/players to get a little reckless in neutral to avoid the unblockable.
- OTGs after Uppercuts and Energy Waves on airborne opponents still do good damage making opponents less likely to want to jump. Then back to insta air ground pounds!
- He still gets up to +40% meterless into restand in the corner. Still good damage.
- The restand in the corner may be only +3 but it should still be respected and can still be scary for the opponent. Other than the obvious strategy of using pokes to gain respect and taking advange of the hit advantage, ive had a ton of success breaking armor with D1 EX Super Gotcha (the safer option if not 100% confident with the read) or D1 EX OH Punch. Ive even stuffed Kung Lao's EX Spins (Tempest and Buzzsaw/Hat Trick).

Those are things Pumped Up offers that I like about him over the other variations. I don't think he is useless at all, he is just more of an all around character with some pressure as well as some fullscreen prescence instead of the fast pace in your face 24/7 kind of character. Still the weakest of the 3 variations but he is still Jax. If the player is in sync with the character, I believe the player can fuck shit up with Pumped Up.

TheGangstaFace

I'll be free to quote @Vigilante24 cause he explained it very good in Jax general discussion thread:
Honestly I feel like my full screen presence is better in Heavy Weapons. Ground Pound is SO slow and reactable you can jump and sprint and punish it full screen and the air ground pound is 6% and I've been hit out of it plenty of times. Heavy weapons you have the machine gun and rocket

Down 2

Noob
Honestly I feel like my full screen presence is better in Heavy Weapons. Ground Pound is SO slow and reactable you can jump and sprint and punish it full screen and the air ground pound is 6% and I've been hit out of it plenty of times. Heavy weapons you have the machine gun and rocket
I thought that way for a long time but I've come to realize that the rocket is super unsafe while energy wave is faster and plus on block all while having a pretty good hitbox on it. Even though it's a high it can be used for mixups like F2,1 xx energy wave which leads to more pressure if blocked, and F2,1 xx OH dash punch which leads to a combo. A blocked rocket is extremely punishable and against smart players it's weaknesses really shine. The machine gun is mostly useless when compared to the rocket IMO but it does have its situational uses.

TheGangstaFace

I thought that way for a long time but I've come to realize that the rocket is super unsafe while energy wave is faster and plus on block all while having a pretty good hitbox on it. Even though it's a high it can be used for mixups like F2,1 xx energy wave which leads to more pressure if blocked, and F2,1 xx OH dash punch which leads to a combo. A blocked rocket is extremely punishable and against smart players it's weaknesses really shine. The machine gun is mostly useless when compared to the rocket IMO but it does have its situational uses.
Yeah that's true but we're talking about full screen. The beam is plus, yes, but the rocket is meant for cancels up close. Pressure and full screen precense are a different discussion. The machine gun and rocket both have AA options and the option of a high and mid. And if you ex the rocket it's safe. It is slow BUT it's not THAT slow. Typically if I'm at full screen itll trade and the rocket causes a hard knockdown

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
Yeah that's true but we're talking about full screen. The beam is plus, yes, but the rocket is meant for cancels up close. Pressure and full screen precense are a different discussion. The machine gun and rocket both have AA options and the option of a high and mid. And if you ex the rocket it's safe. It is slow BUT it's not THAT slow. Typically if I'm at full screen itll trade and the rocket causes a hard knockdown
I rather take gp and energy wave full over machine gun and rocket. Full screen and close up