What's new

Short Hop: Useful or Underpowered?

i have learned how to do hop punches with noob directly after jump punch on block, his hop kick is only good if you end a corner combo with sweep but people glue the down button against chars with no oh

regardless they need to be buffed and all the moves that clearly used to be ohs before they neutered the game prior to launch need to become overheads- because the more complex we need to defend the funner the game will be, esp since we can bail out of almost any combo anyhow

Wigy

There it is...
There's some short hops that have absolutely trash range and are still unsafe. Makes no sense considering they just lead to a splat.

They seem a good thing to have a KB with.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
They seem ok to me. I'm guessing it's something you are going to view through your characters. Just because they are universal doesn't mean they are or should be universally useful.

They can be reacted to if abused, but good for adding a layer of worries and doing something unexpected. I think that's about all they need to do.

In radien's case the kick is great. Kitana can't really overhead someone at all otherwise. Those don't hurt their options.

Could they be better somehow? Maybe.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
They got there uses. Great mixup tool. Also a very good way to get air specials out. Most of them seem to have good reach and I find it also stuffs predictable teles.

I don't think it needs any work on it. It's fine just the way it is especially for characters with air moves and specials. Also it's pretty quick too.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
I would enjoy them a lot more if they flat out beat d+1s
I find them pretty decent, really strong against people just walking back and d+4ing all day

Matix218

Get over here!
I just dont see the point of having a short hop punch and a short hop kick. I suppose the kick has more range and the punch may come out a bit quicker but they both seem very similar and kind of redundant to me. I also wish it had a dedicated button so you dont accidentally get a standard neutral jump sometimes.

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
I use them frequently when playing Jacqui but not so much when I play Shang

Why they made them unsafe I don´t know. It´s not like they are combo starters. Making them minus on block sure, but why unsafe. I think more People would use it if they weren´t unsafe

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Yes, it's kind of tough to get them in clutch situations and not a plain neutral jump. You have to be pretty quick. Sometimes a neutral jump is just better because you can combo off of it.

I use Shao Kahn and i know he has one of the better ones and i still don't find that many situations where i say to myself "man i should've short hopped right there"
I got accidental short hops all the time on hitbox. It's one of the reasons I had to switch back to a controller.