What's new

Question - Shinnok Shinnok gameplan and strategy help

first of all im new to this forum. so hello everyone =]
i really want to play a zoning character in mkx and shinnok is the one i put my eyes on
but i see he is not the regular type of a zoner. can someone help with a general strategy and positioning and overall gameplan for shinnok? is the MB moves worth it for the low-dmg combos or will it be better to save it for breakers?

any help on these aspects will be greatful. thx!

I'm not great but you need to spend your meter. Not only is it usually the only way to get decent damage, but one of his only real low options is b3, which if you want them to respect you need to hit them with EX hellsparks after to combo, or burn the canceled hellsparks on block for pressure/safety.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
I'm not great but you need to spend your meter. Not only is it usually the only way to get decent damage, but one of his only real low options is b3, which if you want them to respect you need to hit them with EX hellsparks after to combo, or burn the canceled hellsparks on block for pressure/safety.
i thought you cant burn hellsparks to make it safe on block and that only the metered version only comes out on hit?

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I just picked 'Bone Shaper' Shinnok up yesterday, but I had moderate success with him last night online in the 30 or 40 games I played with him. Shinnok is fun, but to tell you he truth, he is unsafe all over the place.

Generally speaking Shinnok is not a good full screen zoner. From what I can tell, Shinnok is best at mid range, but at mid range he is just as unsafe as he is up close. My general game plan with him is to stay in that mid range game and play the footsie / poke game using D+4, D+3, f+3,1 and B+3,1. When I can confirm a hit I use the db+2 special and 1 bar of meter to maximize damage and either go for a restand combo ender, or the knock down for the oki. Since Shinnok has no quick 2 hitting normal or safe special, I typically play defense on oki using a neutral jump set up or I just back off. If they don't have meter though I just go in for a meaty b+3,1 or throw mix up.

Of course I end up in close range all the time though, and in that situation I use the 1,1 string which hits mid and is safe on block. The whole string is 1,1,2,3, but the 2 is unsafe if you end the combo there, and the 3 is an overhead which is interruptible and is unsafe on block. The biggest issue with 1,1 IMO though is that it leaves you very close to your opponent, which is not where you want in general with this character, but is his fastest standing normal, so you kind of have to use it. Along with 1,1 though, for pokes I use is D+1, D+3, D+4, and the string 3,1,2 (which is safe and hits mid, but has slow start up). I also try to mix in the f+3,1 string, along with the b+3,1 string...these two strings have more hits to them (d+3, u+3), but either of those hits are unsafe thus I only go up to the second hit if I haven't hit confirmed.

That is pretty much all I have experimented with thus far in the poke / footsie game with him though, as I haven't found anything that is actually "good" with him in that range. Everything is just "ok" and is decent enough to not get you killed right away.
The only combos I use right now are ...

1,1,2, db+2 (mb 3rd hit), f+2,2,1+3 --- this ends in restand
1,1,2, db+2 (mb 3rd hit), F+2,2,db+2
There are other combos I use too, but they are all just different version of the combos above like...

f+2, db+2 (mb 3rd hit), f+2,2,1+3
b+3,1,d+2, db+2 (mb 3rd hit), f+2,2,1+3
*d+4, db+2 (mb 3rd hit), f+2,2,1+3

*Note the last combo doesn't start with a true combo. D+4, db+2 isn't a true block / combo string thus it can be interrupted, and even punished on block by fast advancing specials, maybe even a run cancel (I haven't tested that yet). The only reason I use it is because in the poking game some people like to counter poke, and at max range D+4 leaves me at a range that I can be relatively safe from pokes. Armored moves can blow this up, so it is not something you can rely on against a smart/seasoned opponent.

There are a couple more things that I use with him, but that is pretty much the basics as I see them. Shinnok is pretty straight forward, which I one of the reason why I like him, but he is hella unsafe, meter dependent, and pretty low damage overall (as far as I can tell in my 1 one outing). The best thing you can do is go into practice mode and get you moves down, then grind it out in matches.

Yeah Shinnok is a very straightforward character. He literally only has like 3 strings in imposter and that's the variation I use, I feel like he doesn't have very many set-ups or options, really the only thing you can do is try and get in so you can use mimicry. You can't do shit without meter either

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Yeah Shinnok is a very straightforward character. He literally only has like 3 strings in imposter and that's the variation I use, I feel like he doesn't have very many set-ups or options, really the only thing you can do is try and get in so you can use mimicry. You can't do shit without meter either
its not as bad in impostor because a lot of the stolen moves are combo extenders

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Yeah, that's what I mean. I just feel like Shinnok is really lackluster compared to most of the other cast.
well i still think he has really good tools in neutral. its just his damage and frames are buns. if they fix the frames he will be a pretty solid character