What's new

SFV uses 3rd Strike/KI style normal priority system.

d3v

SRK
As shared to us by UltraDavid and other folks.
For those who may not be familiar, 3rd Strike’s priority system governs trades. The basic rule is that stronger normals always beat weaker ones, special moves beat light and medium attacks but trade with heavy ones, and supers beat special moves.

In Street Fighter V, the game apparently applies this priority system to normal attacks, but specials will still trade with normals. Anti-airs aren’t part of the equation either.
http://shoryuken.com/2015/12/13/street-fighter-v-reportedly-employs-3rd-strike-style-normal-priority-system/

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Since it's going to be my first Street Fighter game where I can start from the beginning and play throughout the games life, I'm just hoping this means I can mash DP to win lol ;-)

This system works well for Killer Instinct.

A nice side effect is slower-startup heavies that you often have to build up + frames for from other frametraps are less often to be poked out of by cr.LP mashing. (For example, Wulf's cr.LK -> B+s.HP would normally have to be frame perfect, but with the priority system you get an extra frame of padding because you win a trade vs 4 frame lights)

Though it's weird they didn't apply it to AA's. I think where the KI priority system shined is AA's always outprioritized jumps. They actually anti-aired. Like, Imagine if you didn't have to take 5% damage as some 'punishment' for a perfectly timed AA in Mortal Kombat.

Still good news. Maybe they'll have it work for AA's as the game is developed more.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
This system works well for Killer Instinct.

A nice side effect is slower-startup heavies that you often have to build up + frames for from other frametraps are less often to be poked out of by cr.LP mashing. (For example, Wulf's cr.LK -> B+s.HP would normally have to be frame perfect, but with the priority system you get an extra frame of padding because you win a trade vs 4 frame lights)

Though it's weird they didn't apply it to AA's. I think where the KI priority system shined is AA's always outprioritized jumps. They actually anti-aired. Like, Imagine if you didn't have to take 5% damage as some 'punishment' for a perfectly timed AA in Mortal Kombat.

Still good news. Maybe they'll have it work for AA's as the game is developed more.
In 3S AAs were specific normals that had good hitboxes and good hurtboxes compared to MOST air normals or attacks. Same applied to SF4. Pretty sure the song will remain the same here.

d3v

SRK
You understimate how hard I can mash, sir.

But seriously, this good information to know so thanks for posting! I don't visit the SRK forums so I don't have an active feed of info coming to me all the time :)
Reversals lose to meaties, unless they have invul. And very few reversals have as much invul as moves did in IV.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I like this a lot. Nice to see this successful system being taken out for another spin here. Anything that helps create a less jabcentric game is good, in my opinion.