What's new

"Set up" Variations - a thing I actually hope they change

delbuster

hungry
This is going to be quick. There are set up based variations, that need time to set up their specific stuff.

The examples that come to mind are
-Master of Storms Raiden, who has to place two traps on the field before they activate
-Hat Trick Kung Lao, who has to place his hat on the field then recall it
-Demolition Sonya, whose grenades are pretty standard but she needs a LOT of time to restock them
-Stunt Double Johnny, who needs some time to activate his Stunt Doubles. (Although Johnny can cancel the end of his Stunt Double activation with Stunt Double attacks).
-Blood God Kotal Kahn, who revolves around activating Totems
probably more

These variations actually are hard to use, and possibly impractical, simply because their variation specific traits require TIME as a resource. It's a fighting game, and time is the most important resource; the levels of time being used setting up traps/restocking nades is just too precious and so the other variations are preferred.

The only real suggestion I have is to allow these characters to have greatly sped-up Enhanced versions of their time-consuming moves, thus spending a different resource (meter) instead of spending time. I really hope this gets added, as I really like the Variations concept but many sets are not very well balanced right now.

These setup variations are clearly balanced due to the time they take to set up. Adding this option of meter management, which is already an established mechanic with a lot of nuances, can only be a good thing IMO.