What's new

Seriously wanting to get into the FGC

SaltyPrime

More salt please.
Hey everyone! I've been trying to step my game up when it comes to the fighting game genre and have been failing miserable. Mostly its been I just haven't been able to find a game that I truly wanted to get serious and try to get tournament worthy. MK9 has come close for me I have always loved the MK series and I think MK9 is amazing, but its been so hard for me to find a character to main and train with. I see greatness in all the characters its overwhelming at times. I know one thing if Goro was playable I would main him! He has been my favorite character since his stop animation puppet in MK1 I dunno why but when I saw that giant four armed monster I was like wow that is AWESOME. I am so hyped for Injustice Gods Among Us the game looks gorgeous and I know who I am gonna start maining day one and its BANE! He's always been my favorite villain in the Batman mythos and I can't wait to play him. Well I hope to be more involved with the community and hopefully go to some tournaments this year.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Welcome to the site! Do you have other fighting game experience outside of mk9 at all? In any event, here's to making progress in Injustice and hopefully coming out to support the scene. Cheers! :D

Goldi

Warrior
Welcome! You'll find everything you need to get you started here. Check around the site, we have great and quickly posted info on upcoming tourneys :)

SaltyPrime

More salt please.
Thanks Killphil! Other fighting game experience I played alot of Street Fighter, Marvel, Tekken, Darkstalkers, Killer Instinct back in the day lol hoping for an HD reboot of that series. Right now I mostly play MK9, Street Fighter X Tekken, and Darkstalkers Resurrection.

SaltyPrime

More salt please.
Goldfish Thanks! I'm hoping to see some tourneys here in Michigan! It doesn't seem like theres much going on in my neck of the woods other than online play.

You say "get into the FGC" like it's a cool kids club you have to be accepted into.

You play fighting games and enjoy them? You post on forums about fighting games? Congrats you are a FGC member, you're no different than anyone else here.

Welcome to TYM, glad to have you here.

SaltyPrime

More salt please.
FrothyOmen its always been a little intimidating to post on community forums for me I guess so yeah I kinda always thought of the community as the "cool kids club" with all the lingo and terminology you guys throw out there I feel like durr I just like to do the punchys and the kickys. Then again it could just be my social anxiety.

FrothyOmen its always been a little intimidating to post on community forums for me I guess so yeah I kinda always thought of the community as the "cool kids club" with all the lingo and terminology you guys throw out there I feel like durr I just like to do the punchys and the kickys. Then again it could just be my social anxiety.
Hehe that'll pass. You'll catch on to what everyone's talking about quickly if you haven't already

Gimmick

Apprentice
I hear ya. I lurked around the forums for almost a year before i made an account. The people here are cool (for the most part) and willing to help out. Welcome bro.

Goldi

Warrior
Goldfish Thanks! I'm hoping to see some tourneys here in Michigan! It doesn't seem like theres much going on in my neck of the woods other than online play.
UFGT is coming in May in Chicago. And GGA is nearby. Not sure how close you are to the area. Midwest is just so big with tiny towns it's hard to find an offline scene.

Last year Power Up and MLG even was in Ohio.

*I live in Indiana - like 2-3 hours from Chicago and about an hour to Michigan

Ca$hFlagg

Online » Offline
Welcome to the FGC!

The first thing you should do is create a persona. You could be the diva, the humble nice guy, the shit talker, the excuse maker, etc.

Now, develop your persona into someone everyone will cheer for (or root against, either works). Never break character! This is important.

Okay, now you are famous and have some major wins under your belt. "What's next?" you ask. Don't worry, I gotcha.

Start putting capital letters in front of your name (ABC, LOL, WWJD, shit like that). The more letters, the less competent your opponents will be in tournament.

Now you conquered the FGC, you wanna cash in on your fame? Nothing wrong with that!

Offer a training camp to beginners to help others be like you. Put your name on a strategy guide to help others think like you. Peddle shitty Madcatz controllers at a discount if buyers use your discount code. Get creative..

Now you are 70 years old and you want to warn your younger self about the biggest mistake you ever made. Simple, create a program that posts in threads 58 years in the past to deliver a message.

I guess what I'm saying is:

Davey, it's you from the future! Don't choose Bane as your main. He's ass. It's the biggest mistake you ever make in your fighting game playing career. Pick Batman, everyone plays as Batman in the future.

SaltyPrime

More salt please.
Ca$hFlagg I'll probably main batman once i get the Batman Beyond skin, but only if its Terry McGinnis' voice amd thanks for my life story too. I didn't know that I'd live to see 70 what about when the machines rise up against us in 12 years?

Ca$hFlagg

Online » Offline
Ca$hFlagg I'll probably main batman once i get the Batman Beyond skin, but only if its Terry McGinnis' voice amd thanks for my life story too. I didn't know that I'd live to see 70 what about when the machines rise up against us in 12 years?
I have said too much as it is. Be thankful for what you have been given.

Btw. Don't put the FGC guys on a pedestal. Even the most successful players still post one letter at a time if you follow me.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
Intimidating lmao? Dude don't sweat it, its ONLINE lol. Everyone is welcomed.

Hemlock

Apprentice
Welcome buddy! Yeah, MK is an embarrassment of riches as there are so many great characters. I've really enjoyed Noob Saibot, Nightwolf, Freddy Kruger, Kratos, and now my favorite is Cyber Sub Zero. Main 'em all! It'll keep you busy!

MIKECALDWELL

Kombatant
You say "get into the FGC" like it's a cool kids club you have to be accepted into.

You play fighting games and enjoy them? You post on forums about fighting games? Congrats you are a FGC member, you're no different than anyone else here.

Welcome to TYM, glad to have you here.
This. I've never understood people that use the term "FGC" as more than what it actually is. We're all a part of it, regardless of which games we play or how often we play them.