What's new

Sektor's Stance, good or bad?

I was wondering what Sektor players think about his stance. There are a few posts that have touched upon the benefits(jumping over sweeps, 50/50 chance)and negatives(Short range, easy punish, glitching) but none really bringing it to light.

I can tell you I picked up Sektor since day 1 and I find him to have all the right tools but personally this is the one thing that seems to put a hamper on my gameplay. At first It didn't bother me but after picking up characters like Quan Chi and Scorpion(both have a 1 command overhead) it seems to bring up the question, why is there a stance in the first place? Anyways, that's my opinion.

So what do you all think about Sektor's Stance?

Sektroll

Noob
At first glance, it seems like a waste since other characters can perform a low/mid guessing game without it.

When looking deeper, though, it is a really great tool.

I found that you can wavedash with it into true 50/50s in some situations with u+3, f,f, u+3, f,f...

This is a great alternative to block dashing in some situations. I found block dashing can be done by doing f,f, block, f, block, f, block..., and this works for backwards block dashing as well.

Stance dashing works since from sweep distance it looks like a move itself, so once players see that, they block, allowing you to cancel it with a dash into a throw or guessing game of your choice.

Try them both, and wreck fools.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Stance dash cancel into throw after opponent just started getting used to your stance overhead and stance 3,4 = priceless.

mozarus

Noob
My friend maining Sector / Cyber Sub-Zero we play a lot, first of all Sector is much more frustrating to play against. From my perspective his stance is weak against character with very fast uppercut, can by easy punish on reaction. Still is good like all tool that Sector have. Sector is lacking good overhead thats NOT lead to frame adv and even more terrifying combo. Sector with Scorpion overhead = broken character. Sector is so much underrated.

I've figured out how to make it more useful. I just do the stance whenever there is a jump in, I know it's the long about way of doing things but that's the way he is made and I guess the slight damage boost to his u3 3 4 makes up for the extra command.

Anyways, I can see some uses like pretending to do the overhead on a turtle opponent after the flame but still it would be quite nice to not have it at all.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
The stance is kinda stupid to me, as it only really adds one move, the overhead. The low kick one can be done with B3,4. I think they should get rid of it and add the overhead as a normal combo move. I would like to see it maybe with the U4 command. That would make sektor more balanced and better to play with.

Yeah the point is that in this stance he has both a low and an overhead.
This means that the opponent won't be safe in any blocking stance.
Blocking high? do the low combo into teleport uppercut.
Blocking low? do the overhead into teleport uppercut.

But yeah... It's rather slow lolz.
It's the only good mix up tool Sektor has that can lead into nice combo's.

Have to try out out more online tho.

Oh and imo he should be able to cancel the leg lift animation at any time so it comes out faster and u can use it as a "fake attack"

King

Sig Maker
I think that the stance is a great tool. One thing I've found playing Sektor is that the stance is good at mindfucking opponents who are being pressured by meaty missiles. So what I like to do is knock the opponent down, fire a missile, then as they are waking up I go into the stance. Worst case scenario, I eat a wakeup attack; best case scenario, the missile hits and I do a combo from the stance.

So for example I'll finish a BnB combo with Sektor and apply the meaty missile and wake-up pressure:

12B1 jk TU jk EX TU B21 (Combo) DB3 (Meaty missile) >> U3.

At this point, they've pretty much got to either have an invincible wakeup attack or a teleport. If not, they must eat the chip from the meaty missile and be subject to my 50/50 stance game.

I agree 100%. I just posted this in another thread about the stance:

Personally, I wish they would just get rid of the leg lift and make the mid hit a command normal. Everyone talks about the mind games of the leg lift since you can go low or mid, but you'd have the same option since you can already b3,4 for the low hit. The leg lift is just an unnecessary step in getting to the mid, imho. Sucks because his other mid hit isn't the greatest either since the only way to get to it is in 1,2,2, and the 1 can be ducked and countered.

Robotic

Gentleman.
I think that the stance is a great tool. One thing I've found playing Sektor is that the stance is good at mindfucking opponents who are being pressured by meaty missiles. So what I like to do is knock the opponent down, fire a missile, then as they are waking up I go into the stance. Worst case scenario, I eat a wakeup attack; best case scenario, the missile hits and I do a combo from the stance.

So for example I'll finish a BnB combo with Sektor and apply the meaty missile and wake-up pressure:

12B1 jk TU jk EX TU B21 (Combo) DB3 (Meaty missile) >> U3.

At this point, they've pretty much got to either have an invincible wakeup attack or a teleport. If not, they must eat the chip from the meaty missile and be subject to my 50/50 stance game.
Don't forget stance>dash cancel>throw. Get's 'em every time when it's mixed with the overhead/low game.

I agree 100%. I just posted this in another thread about the stance:

Personally, I wish they would just get rid of the leg lift and make the mid hit a command normal. Everyone talks about the mind games of the leg lift since you can go low or mid, but you'd have the same option since you can already b3,4 for the low hit. The leg lift is just an unnecessary step in getting to the mid, imho. Sucks because his other mid hit isn't the greatest either since the only way to get to it is in 1,2,2, and the 1 can be ducked and countered.
Yes, you have the same option for a low off b+3,4, but that's part of the mindgame/mix-up. If the opponent thinks, "All the more reason for hm to do the mid" and blocks high, you can do the low. From the stance position, you threaten the opponent with both a fast low and a fast mid simultaneously; there's no real reliable way to block at that point, and it gets even better if you mix in your throw. The issue arises when someone is capable of reacting to the stance on reflex with a d+4 poke or other quick hit, but that's pretty rare, and Sektor leaps into the air for his overhead, so if someone is using d+4 to poke him out of it, he can leap over it and counterattack if you guess correctly. He also cannot be thrown out of his stance, and d+3 whiffs, so it'd take some rather quick reflexes to jab Sektor out of it. Even then, you have the option of backdash-cancelling the stance into one of Sektor's other moves.

And yeah, you could remove the stance and just at all times threaten the opponent with a fast mid and a fast low, but you'd also gain the ability to threaten them with a faster throw and faster specials simulatenously. It seems a bit ridiculous to be honest. Sure, you could remove the stance and slow down his overhead, but that'd just make the characters of MK even less varied. His stance is a great tool that is quite unique to the character and I'd hate to see it removed.

By the way, cancelling the leg lift into the overhead as soon as possible is at least as fast as Quan Chi's overhead.

And yeah, you could remove the stance and just at all times threaten the opponent with a fast mid and a fast low, but you'd also gain the ability to threaten them with a faster throw and faster specials simulatenously. It seems a bit ridiculous to be honest. Sure, you could remove the stance and slow down his overhead, but that'd just make the characters of MK even less varied. His stance is a great tool that is quite unique to the character and I'd hate to see it removed.
Mileena, Cage, Quan Chi, and Raiden all have effective overheads that combo. Why would making Sektor's overhead a single command make him ridiculous? I personally find the stance to be a tumor to Sektor's standing rushdown game. Every time I rush down an Ermac or a Raiden as soon as I drop a bit of pressure and raise that leg for an overhead it's either a gravity squeeze across the screen or a Superman to the gut.

Now I understand the variety and depth to the stance, after my initial post I truly do. BUT all the "variety and depth" seems to be in the terms of mindgames and even so the mentioned characters don't have to worry about this step and can just go balls to the wall with 50/50 options. Personally I may have gone on a little bit but I think the stance is more of a hex than a tool. Really how is it ridiculous to make Sektor a little faster?