What's new

Scotland & The Scottish Test

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
While browsing the news I found that Scotland has been voted manliest country :coffee: and damn right!
http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/heritage/scotland-named-manliest-country-world-3518245
See the bottom for a list of names you might recognise, including some of the manliest men on TV and film alongside other famous people.

I also found a list of common stereotypes, most of which I get asked about a lot lol :D
http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/12-assumptions-people-make-you-4740309

But I also found something interesting...a test. I'm interested to see how people do in this test so I've got one below :p
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Here's a Scottish test for you, split into two parts. The first will be a test to see how many of the Scottish words below you can figure out the meaning of. The second part is a bunch of jokes based on Scottish words/pronunciation. See if you can figure them out too! ;)

1. Steamin'
2. Greetin'
3. Having a swatch
4. Baltic
5. Mince (not the meat product, used as an adjective)
6. Bird (not the animal)
7. Gaggin' for something
8. Loaded
9. Tea (not the drink)
10. Piece (not "a part of something")

1. Ten cows in a field. Which one is closest to Iraq?
Coo eight.
2. Did you hear about the guy who liked eating bricks and cement?
He's awa' noo.
3. After announcing he's getting married, a boy tells his pal he'll be wearing a kilt at the ceremony. "And what's the tartan?" asks his mate. "Oh, she'll be wearing a white dress".
4. A Glasgow man, drunk and out of money, is walking down Argyle Street, when he spots a guy tinkering with the engine of his car. "Whit's up Jimmy?" he asks.
"Piston broke," he replies.
"Aye, same as masel!".
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I mean look at the famous people we have! We've provided well-recognised names and faces like:

Actors
Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid in Harry Potter), John Barrowman, Sean Connery, Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan in Star Wars prequel trilogy), David Tennant and Peter Capaldi (Doctor Who), James McAvoy (X-Men: DoFP as young Professor X), Gerard Butler ("THIS IS SPARTA!"- 300), Robert Carlyle (Trainspotting, The Full Monty, Stargate Universe, Once Upon A Time), Karen Gillan (Doctor Who, Guardians of the Galaxy), Ronnie Corbett, Graham MacTavish (Dwalin in the Hobbit films, many well-known game voices), Brian Limond ('Limmy'), Paul Young (Still Game) and many more!

Poet Robert Burns (who wrote Auld Lang Syne, that song you sing at New Year!)

Inventors
John Logie Baird (TV), Alexander Graham Bell (telephone), John Napier (logarithms), Alexander Wood (hypodermic syringe), William Murdoch (steam engine, gas lighting, pneumatic tube messaging), Robert Watson-Watt (radar), Robert Davidson (electric locomotive), John Shepherd-Barron (ATM), John Boyd Dunlop (pneumatic tyres), Charles Macintosh (waterproof fabrics), William Kennedy Laurie Dickson (motion picture camera), Alan MacMasters (toaster), James Chalmers (adhesive postage stamp), Alexander Bain (electric clock/involved with fax machine) and more!

Comedians Frankie Boyle, Billy Connelly, Kevin Bridges, Rory Bremner, Susan Calman, and more.

Musicians
The Proclaimers (500 Miles), Roy Williamson (wrote Flower of Scotland), Malcolm Angus and George Young of AC/DC, Paul Wilson (Snow Patrol), Ian Stewart (The Rolling Stones), Paulo Nutini, Emeli Sande, Annie Lennox (Eurythmics), Dave Mackintosh (drummer for DragonForce), Bon Scott (AC/DC), Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy, Motorhead), Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull), Amy Macdonald, Guy Berryman (bassist for Coldplay), Jack Bruce (Cream), the bands Primal Scream, Twin Atlantic, Franz Ferdinand, Biffy Clyro, the Bay City Rollers, Wet Wet Wet and The Fratellis, Davey Johnstone (guitarist for Elton John), David and Mark Knopfler (founded Dire Straits), Mylo, Britain's Got Talent contestants Susan Boyle and Jai McDowall, a band called Marmalade (who originally called themselves The Gaylords) and more!

The creator of Grand Theft Auto David Jones and the company that makes GTA games Rockstar North, as well as the audio composer for the LittleBigPlanet games Kenneth Young, are Scottish

Olympian Sir Chris Hoy

Formula 1 racer David Coulthard

WWE wrestler Drew McIntyre

Tennis champion Andy Murray, rally driver Colin McRae (deceased), pro golfers Paul Lawrie and Colin Montgomerie, football personality Ally McCoist and pro snooker player John Higgins

Expletive-abusing TV chef Gordon Ramsay and TV presenters Lorraine Kelly and Kirsty Gallacher

and historic figures like William Wallace, BC Forbes (founder of Forbes magazine), James Gordon Bennett Sr. (founder of the New York Herald and a major figure in the history of American newspapers), and even Alexander Fleming who invented Penicillin (who was born in and lived in my hometown!!!).