What's new

Rushdown VS Zoning - Who has won historically?

GGA Max

I call on the past knowledge of you, TYM folk here.

This is going to help me (and maybe others) think about Bane's match-up numbers.

Let's not stand on ceremony here, when Bane knocks you down, its problematic for most of the cast (with no invincible teleport, get off me move...yada yada yada). Some characters, however, are fantastic zoners. They can keep Bane out well and minimize his chance of knocking them down. These characters usually have even shittier wake-ups than your average Joe. They can lose their entire bar before the time Bane pulls his pants up and goes on debuff.

For transparency, here are some that I'm talking about:
Batman
Sinestro
Lex
Black Adam
Raven
and arguably a few more, but you get the point.

So lets talk about MK9 and other relevant fighting games, let's talk about the past. In this situation, does the match-up chart usually say...
6-4 zoner wins?
6-4 rushdown wins?
5-5 because players?
etc.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
I call on the past knowledge of you, TYM folk here.

This is going to help me (and maybe others) think about Bane's match-up numbers.

Let's not stand on ceremony here, when Bane knocks you down, its problematic for most of the cast (with no invincible teleport, get off me move...yada yada yada). Some characters, however, are fantastic zoners. They can keep Bane out well and minimize his chance of knocking them down. These characters usually have even shittier wake-ups than your average Joe. They can lose their entire bar before the time Bane pulls his pants up and goes on debuff.

For transparency, here are some that I'm talking about:
Batman
Sinestro
Lex
Black Adam
Raven
and arguably a few more, but you get the point.

So lets talk about MK9 and other relevant fighting games, let's talk about the past. In this situation, does the match-up chart usually say...
6-4 zoner wins?
6-4 rushdown wins?
5-5 because players?
etc.
I think rushdown characters tend to be more complete. Take Cage for example: He did lose badly to the absolute best zoners (Kenshi, Freddy) but did well against just about everyone else. His movement, pressure and footsies were all top notch. Zoners tend to be much weaker up close (like Sinestro before the patch or like Raven now).

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
When it comes to street fighter daigos hadoukens dominate...but then again j. Wong seems to rush down..fuck matchups, its players 5-5

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
I think rushdown characters tend to be more complete. Take Cage for example: He did lose badly to the absolute best zoners (Kenshi, Freddy) but did well against just about everyone else. His movement, pressure and footsies were all top notch. Zoners tend to be much weaker up close (like Sinestro before the patch or like Raven now).
Says the guy whos destroying everybody by zoning with sinestro lol :)

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
You can zone a rushdown char out for so long til he's/she's in...and that ladies and gents is the ballgame.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Typically, a zoner's design is that they excel when you're away from them, but get close/ a knockdown and you should start praying. This is why they traditionally don't have high damage.
A rushdown is a character that may SEEM to be the opposite(excelling at close range), but again, typically this isn't the case. When a rush down character gets within THEIR sweetspot, they play their game. Against a zoner, they play their game, AND exploit the zoner's weakness. Essentially you can try to keep them out, and should. But sooner or later, they WILL get in, ala Doomsday. There are, undoubtedly, exceptions. You don't have to put a zoner in the corner to remove their options. This, of course is general, and isn't taking specific characters into consideration. However if your rush down character's weakness IS zoning, then it's a match that is winnable but hard. Ultimately, I'd say rushdown wins. Very few fighting games have ALL the rushdown characters designed without either anti zoning moves, or space covering moves.

Zoner: YAY! I'm gonna zone and turtle Sabrewulf being my good ol zoner self...

Sabrewulf:

GGA Max

Good point Ex spirit charge was gdlk for Kenshi.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Neither, the best chars are top at both

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I would say that rush down and zoning characters equally dominated the fighting game scene in the early history of fighting games. In Super Turbo, for example, Dhalsim and Old Sagat were top tier zoning characters while Claw and Boxer were top tier rush down characters.

Recently, however, rush down characters have been more dominant due to the influx of scrubby fighting game players who demand that anything good about zoning be patched immediately. Some examples include vanilla Sagat in SFIV and vanilla Deathstroke in Injustice.

zaf

professor
The best characters are like dizzy said, they excel at both. Kabal and kenshi could both zone you out and both had strong up close games.

In terms of zoning vs rushdown mu numbers.... It depends on the specific mu. Take raven vs bane. While raven is a good zoner, all her zoning is single hit. This makes it easier for characters like bane and Grundy who have multiple levels of armor. However on the other hand sinestro vs bane would be a lot different. Possibly a match sinestro wins. He has mb fear blast for the multiple hits of armor. He also has trait. So for rushdown vs zoning.... It really depends on the tools both characters have access to